50 reasons why.. part two

Maria Caliban

I'm starting to appreciate the freedom that Bioware excercised in making the original with some of their own designs. In NWN2 It just looks like everyone is forced to wear the same hideous armor models and weild the same clay swords. Nothing appears solid or metallic. No clanging of metal that you expect to see in a game of this genre.

Once again, I fully agree and agreed with your assertions that NWN2 weapons don't look good and could (not should) be improved. So let's leave that. Where it gets me is your constant need to compare with NWN1. Specifically, what "freedom" do you mean that Bioware exercised? Without comparing to NWN2, NWN1 weapons were not metallic but plastic, with a dullish grey, 'straight' swords looking pretty much like NWN2 ones, the acid and other effects cartoonish and glaring, and so forth. What exactly are you suggesting should have been done with NWN2 weapons, that was done with NWN1? Just the fact that they should have authentic proportions and concept design? If so, sure, I agree - but it's not a big deal and certainly not worth rustling up the hay with all the NWN1>2 stuff.

Some silly points by Volourn:

1. I find it hialrious that some of the same people whining about how silly or nitpicky or worthles this topic is are some of the people whoa re ppsting the most in this htread.

2. Mr. Sawyer has been cool in this thread, and makes good ppoints throughout.

3. While it's true that NWN2 has better overall graphics than NWN1 (as well it should since it was made in 2006 while NWN1 was a 2002 game; overall IMO, NWN1 has better special effects SFX espicially in regards to spells. Of course, there *are* exemptions to this.

4. Grom, you still trolling me? Good job. >_<

5. The whole 'no skin' policy is lame, and it has nothing to do with being a pervert (though I am; but that's a whole different issue). It seems silly to take off armour/clothing/robes just to find more clothes underneath. And, the Warlock model shows that WOTC can't even do that right sicne they allowed BIG B00BIES to be shown.

6. As i said way back in the other thread, it should be rather easy to make a list of 'what NWN2 did better than NWN1' and vice versa. It proves absolutely nothing.

That is all. For now. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I always thought the best argument folks made about NWN revolved around the toolset and multiplayer aspects. NWN probably would have looked a lot better to me if it had not been for the tilesets. With those, however, it really looked bad. Just plain ugly bad.

Later NWN designs, from the expansions, looked much better. Still, the tilesets have always looked ugly to me.

Once again, and in this I've been in agreement with Tigranes for some time, the original intent of these two threads has not been to compare two similar games so much as to bash one.

Let's see a real comparison of the two games. Why do some folks like NWN better and some prefer NWN2? There's a post there somewhere, but since I've actually arrived at my gaming rig, I'm going to take the opportunity to play the game rather than talk about it. :D

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

"With those, however, it really looked bad. Just plain ugly bad."

No. That is a myth. NWN's graphics inlduing the toolset has always looked good, and still do. Period. Surely destroys the brown poo that its compatriot of that time MW had that tried to 'pass' as graphics.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"With those, however, it really looked bad. Just plain ugly bad."

No. That is a myth. NWN's graphics inlduing the toolset has always looked good, and still do. Period. Surely destroys the brown poo that its compatriot of that time MW had that tried to 'pass' as graphics.

Just looking at the screenshots posted on the Morrowind website, it does look as though there are some that look really bad and some that look pretty good. I recall when I played NWN for the first time that I wasn't exactly blown away by the graphics, but I never thought they were utter crap. They were pretty average. I wouldn't go so far as to say they are still, or even were good, but they worked well enough.

2. Mr. Sawyer has been cool in this thread, and makes good ppoints throughout.

Yeah, he's been cool enough to explain things. Though I'm more interested in hearing what Obsidian CAN do, and not what they can't. After reading all of his posts here and at Bioware you start to get an image of handcuffed incarcerated game developers. It's always some kind of explanation as to why they can't do this or that to make the game visually more appealing or play better ect ect. I think it's bullocks that they have to answer to the WotC concerning subjective things like visual design within reason. As long as it's kept within genre, you'd think they were granted a bit more leniency.

I see tons of scantily clad ilustrations at the WotC under the 3.5 section. Since when did they ever get taken over by Mormons? bah..

3. While it's true that NWN2 has better overall graphics than NWN1 (as well it should since it was made in 2006 while NWN1 was a 2002 game; overall IMO, NWN1 has better special effects SFX espicially in regards to spells. Of course, there *are* exemptions to this.

5.  The whole 'no skin' policy is lame, and it has nothing to do with being a  pervert (though I am; but that's a whole different issue). It seems silly to take off armour/clothing/robes just to find more clothes underneath. And, the Warlock model shows that WOTC can't even do that right sicne they allowed BIG B00BIES to be shown.

Yep and Yep.

Edited by Riftworm

Since Mr. Sawyer has been browsing this thread, perhaps he can relay this bug to his fellow comrades since they rarely visit their forums.

My characters are walking below the ground level. The old elf ruins where the statues are at the entrance of Riverguard Keep.

post-15614-1164518901_thumb.jpg

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I see tons of scantily clad ilustrations at the WotC under the 3.5 section. Since when did they ever get taken over by Mormons? bah..

Since Hot Coffee and the various nude / sex adventure modules of NWN maybe? If WoTC didn't want such perversion of their licenses it makes sense.

"Remember NWN1 you had an uber array of authentic looking medieval weapons"

*chuckle*

HA! Good Fun!

why is funny bros? original neverwinter nights has many of the better weapons than on this newer one

better v. worse is subjective. we leave to you to decide which you thinks looks better.

that being said, there were nothing authentic looking 'bout arms and armour in nwn1... period. we not got a problem with non-authentic looking armour and weapons in a fantasy game, but the folks clamoring for such stuff rarely seems to know what the heck they is talking 'bout.

HA! Good Fun!

i am having a disagree with you on this one. they having on original neverwinter nights display many armor types as look shiny and metallic represent the fourth century roman field and full plate, and has celtic butted skeet chain mails. there is having none on this new game. this armor looks dull and not represent any century plate is no good

oh sure, 'cause the greatswords and greataxes could be wielded by a real person from any age. heck, most of the weapons is too big to be wielded. for every item you point out that you think looked almost close to right, we can name 3 that were wrong.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I love how armour is not judged on how good it looks and how it fits the FR setting, but how good an imitation it is of real life medieval age. Hello, fantasy? If an armour looks good and works in the FR setting, as all NWN2 armour do, then it's fine. It doesn't need to be a stupid 14th century Bavarian plate mail worn by Lord Hauberk of Mail.

I love how armour is not judged on how good it looks and how it fits the FR setting, but how good an imitation it is of real life medieval age. Hello, fantasy? If an armour looks good and works in the FR setting, as all NWN2 armour do, then it's fine. It doesn't need to be a stupid 14th century Bavarian plate mail worn by Lord Hauberk of Mail.

Not to mention that they would wear half an inch of padded clothes beneath the armour once you took it off them :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Not to mention that they would wear half an inch of padded clothes beneath the armour once you took it off them  :p

...an' we has a winner, kiddies... :thumbsup:

...jus' took a quick glimpse o' this thread an', I gotta say, this whole "how come nobody's naked under theys armor" thing be kinda pathetic...as is the "how come we have no shiny, Ceremonial medieval armor, cuz, ya know, that's what everyone fought in back then, not the functional blah-lookin' type"...ummm, no; but why wake the maroons...pity it be that e'eryone's allowed ta procreate... <_<

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Not to mention that they would wear half an inch of padded clothes beneath the armour once you took it off them :p

Plus you would smell real bad.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Everybody wants realistic armour. But apparently they thinkr ealistic = historical.

...actually, lad, the "ugly, boring" armor in NWN2 be more historically correct; the warrin' masses didna wear shiny ceremonial armor... :p

The illustration of Loviatar in Faiths & Pantheons is particularly... interesting.

I love how Loviatar's clerics throw parties amongst the noble class :p that's so wrong.

I like pretty ceremonial armor.  :p

...as does most, but givin' Obsidz shyte fer not bein' "historically correct" in theys armor be what I's disputin'... :thumbsup:

I don't remember NWN1 armour enough so I was never making such a comment. My point rather is that 'historicity' is completely irrelevant.