NWN2: Discussion

metadigital

By the time you hit a PrC, I don't think most of those prc specific armour are really veyr good. You can use some of them withUse Magic Device anyway... but I dont' think they're really better than stuff like Rogue Links.

However, I find that I am always short on money until Act 3. Crafting is difficult unless you know exactly where to find all the right essences and gems, and some gems (i.e. rogue stones) aren't available till later. You can get by without buying expensive stuff, of course, but where's the fun in that? :aiee: And even gems from Pap are expensive - so are Heal potions. Boots/belts/cloaks/gloves aren't found in-game often so you have to craft or buy, and bought ones are superior IMO until late-game when you can make +6, +8 stuff. Same with Periapts of Wisdom and Headbands of Intellect, Cloaks of Nymph, etc.

Of course, in Act 3 every dungeon you clear you earn about 200k, and then you never buy items, you craft. I think NWN2 made sure money was a lot more important though - you end up spending a lot of that cash on your Keep, until you get the Red Dragon 150k.

No need for healing kits/potions over here.  I'm now regenerating at 7hp per round.  :aiee:)

How is that?

If you wear two rings of regeneration, you get plus 8, and theres a cloak which gives 1, for a total of 9.

What other regeneration items are there?

Ring of Regeneration (+4 regen)

Ring of Power (+1 regen)

Neverwinter Knight Cloak (+1 regen)

Hammer of the Lost Empire (+1 regen)

manthing2.jpg

Nah, money is easy to get if you have crafting skills. original.gif

Duskwood bows are pricy items. original.gif

Aah. I only craft what I need, I don't make for resale. That makes more sense then. :aiee:

if you not use munchkin crafting to make uber armour and weapons, then buy stuff from deekin gets real expensive real fast.  additional buy a handful of spells and some heal kits is gonna make your 30k disappear in a moment... and we not recall having 30k... 'less we sold every spare item we had, and as we didn't know who the future joinable npcs would be and how we woulds need to outfit them we could not simply sell every spare weapon and armour.

total of 3 bags max in chapter 1... and spend +800gp for what were equivalent of a gem bag/scroll case were seeming more than a little nuts at the time... and when we planned to go back and gets magic pouch in chapter 2, after we had more gold to spend, the swamp inn were gone.  go figure.  3 bags became 2.

HA! Good Fun!

Oh, I'm not saying that money doesn't feel like it's running out from time to time. I just feel that when I'm buying stuff worth 50k+ on a regular basis spending 800 or 2000 on anything is hardly noteworth. It probably won't impact my ability to get the higher end stuff in the least since I'll be needing to clear out a dungeon or two anyway.

(not buying so much from Deekin though, most of his stuff is pretty mediocre even if you have a PrC, and this is compared to other items found in the game not crafted. there are other merchants with better goods however)

I guess some of comes from the "hold-on-for-future-use" philosophy. Even on my first playthrough I rarely did that. If it wasn't usable right away, I usually sold it, since I knew I would most likely find better gear of the same type later in the game anyway. And as long as I kept getting new npcs, I always did.

am not sure where you guys is finding all this crazy 1007 in chapter 1. better stuff than in shops like deekin's in chapter 1? where? is these like vol's imagined magic bags?

best plate armour we FOUND up til almost very end o' chapter 1 were probably the full plate we got for free when casavir joined party. other armours we had to pay for. best other armours we recall: armour of loyalty as quest item, and chainmail +2 for killing logram. we miss something better in chap 1 (not including final battle... 'cause that pretty much makes that armour only useable in chap 2,)?

btw, rogue links is chap 2, and really ain't all that great for tanks anyways.

and again, for those complaining of ease of game who refuses to slide difficulty notch beyond hardcore, we can see how maybe you not need to buy better equipment... but we has chased you round that particular tree for far too long anyways.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yes, but he is the G0T0 of NWN2.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Actually, while we're on the subject of loot & crafting, I've got a couple of questions. Who should take the crafting feats? I'm still in ch. 1 (just killed Logram), and I've been avoiding them. But I've finally found a tome with weapon recipies, so I'm intruiged. Does the character with the crafting feat have to be the same one who casts the spell required for the item being made?

Yes, but he is the G0T0 of NWN2.

Nope

Yep

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Actually, while we're on the subject of loot & crafting, I've got a couple of questions.  Who should take the crafting feats?  I'm still in ch. 1 (just killed Logram), and I've been avoiding them.  But I've finally found a tome with weapon recipies, so I'm intruiged.  Does the character with the crafting feat have to be the same one who casts the spell required for the item being made?

You are correct. The person that casts the spell has to have the appropriate crafting feats.

EDIT: Bishop is not GOTO. Bishop at least is decent in a fight. :-

Edited by Deraldin

Does the character with the crafting feat have to be the same one who casts the spell required for the item being made?

Yes. I get Sand to take the feats.

There's some items that need divine spells but most of the good ones are arcane-related.

I've got a question myself - what happens when you mix the metal bars when crafting weapons/armour? Say a longsword needs 2 ingots, and I mix adamantite with cold iron. What happens?

Edited by Atreides

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Does the character with the crafting feat have to be the same one who casts the spell required for the item being made?

I've got a question myself - what happens when you mix the metal bars when crafting weapons/armour? Say a longsword needs 2 ingots, and I mix adamantite with cold iron. What happens?

It says "That's an invalid recipie you idiot! Only use one type of ingot."

"Thieves, Bards and Warlocks can get good use out of him also."

Ok. You got me there, Sneaky One.

"is these like vol's imagined magic bags?"

The funny thing is I'm not the only imagining these magic bags. *shrug*

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Actually, while we're on the subject of loot & crafting, I've got a couple of questions.  Who should take the crafting feats?  I'm still in ch. 1 (just killed Logram), and I've been avoiding them.  But I've finally found a tome with weapon recipies, so I'm intruiged.  Does the character with the crafting feat have to be the same one who casts the spell required for the item being made?

what would Gromnir do if he did use crafting feats?

1) has elanee gets weapons and armour

she can makes holy weapons (best weapon attribute in game) and flame weapons and any weapon worth noting save for vampiric regen, and if that is an issue we gots another solution. she also cannot makes armour of fortification... so no +5 mithril armour of fortification... but other than that.

2) use that crazy &$%@# qara for pretty much every other crafting need

Gromnir hates qara. we talked her up and were nice to her and got our self a few extra chaos points for agreeing that yeah, neverwinter would be a much nicer place if it were on fire, and she still ended up being a nuisance. so, if we had a chance to do over, we would simply use every spell choice and feat choice to turn her into a crafter.

how many good spells is there for wands? a few. don't overlook wands 'cause anybody with even a midling use magic device rank can use wands. got tired of using neeshka? simply creates a wand of knock... never need bash a chest again. use wand to casts stoneskins and displacements and improved mage armour... or whatever. somebody at bio claimed that you cannot make scrolls or wands of mirror image, which would be a major blow, but wands is still agreat option. is only a handful o' spells you wanna waste on such stuff, but they would be worth it. never makes wand for offensive spells... caster level will be too low to be worth cost.

the gnome is actually a very good choice for wands, depending on how wands actually work in nwn2. grobnar can cast most of the good 4th level or lower buff spells, and for him greater heroism is a 4th level spell.

how many other spells you need for cafting armour and woundrous items? again, is not many, and you can use scrolls for the stuff that requires caster level of 10 or less. heck, you can use her to makes the weapons of vampiric regen that elanee coulds not.

use qara and elanee and pretty much the only item you might not be able to create is armour of fortification... which is okie dokie armour, but am not sure if we would waste weapons and armour crafting on the gith chick simply to create. also, the amulets of natural armour is needing barkskin spell and wondrous item feat... which pretty much means that you gives wondrous feat to elanee or simply do w/o natural armour items.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Thieves, Bards and Warlocks can get good use out of him also."

Ok. You got me there, Sneaky One.

"is these like vol's imagined magic bags?"

The funny thing is I'm not the only imagining these magic bags. *shrug*

sure you are. is no way to get the bags early enough to do good. chap 1 and 2? is no way you ever see a random magic bag drop in chap 1, which takes you up to 10th or 11th level... half of game.

HA! Good Fun!

Except I don't believe I have ever claiomed there wer emore than 3 bags in ch1. Nice try; though. I don't recall the number of bags I've fouynd in cfh1. Just the full game. So, keep up the good work claiming I claim soemthing when I made no such claim. *shrug*

My only claim was that there were at leats 10 bags in the game if not closer to 20. And, that the bags found in stores in ch1 are actually rather cheap.

Except I don't believe I have ever claiomed there wer emore than 3 bags in ch1. Nice try; though. I don't recall the number of bags I've fouynd in cfh1. Just the full game. So, keep up the good work claiming I claim soemthing when I made no such claim. *shrug*

My only claim was that there were at leats 10 bags in the game if not closer to 20. And, that the bags found in stores in ch1 are actually rather cheap.

bags in chap 1 were expensive... relative speeking.

second, as we keep pointing out, it not bloody matter if you find a half dozen magic bags in final dungeon. transition 'tween modules is one of the biggest issues, and first time through game you not know when module is gonna end... or that loot in barells is gonna disappear with such a transition, so your claim that there were enough bags is clearly wrong. nuff bags at end of game does not mean that there were nuff bags.

sorry, you lose... again.

HA! Good Fun!

Thanks, all. Unfortunately, my party is currently level 9, so I'll have to wait until we get to 12 for the next round of feat selection. I haven't used Qara since I met the gnome, though, so I think she'll be due for her level 9 feat when next I see her.

Without spoiling me too badly, at about what level does Sand become a joinable NPC?

Edited by Enoch

The funny thing is I don't recall finding any bags in the final dungeon. once again, you are accusing me of things I never said. Why?

Bottom line is there are enough bags in the game, there are at least 3 (yoru number) in ch1, and they ARE reltaively cheap. 800gp, and about 2k (again, YOUR numbers) is still cheap in ch1. The ph@t lewt in this game is unbelievable in this game even in ch1. In fact, espicially in ch1 , since there's no keep expenses to worry about.

Without spoiling me too badly, at about what level does Sand become a joinable NPC?

sand were level 11 for Gromnir. wizards get lots of bonus feats, but 'stead of using for crafting we would use on the school focus stuff... probably necromancy.

and no, bags were not cheap and plentiful in chap 1. only 3 in all of chap 1? pitiful. fact that something that only can really function as a gem bag/scroll cas should cost +800gp is highway freaking robbery.

that being said, now that the 'mount they can hold has been multiplied by a factor of +5, the issue IS less of an issue.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

By the way, I am planning on buying a magic bag or two when I get back to town. They were a bit too expensive so far, but with the haul I'm bringing back from the orc caves, I'll probably have money to burn. Plus, because I did the 2 caves in direct succession, I'm hitting the weight limit for my characters, and I've had to ditch a fair amount of loot (e.g., lots of suits of studded leather +1).

Nah, money is easy to get if you have crafting skills. original.gif

Duskwood bows are pricy items. original.gif

Aah. I only craft what I need, I don't make for resale. That makes more sense then. :)

I financed my pricy Eldritch Knight armor that way. :aiee:

Once you get the keep and the weaponsmith, you get access to tons of components and molds. :)