NWN2: Forumite Impressions

Darque

True, BG also had disintegrate, massive sword-chops that reduce your party members into little flesh bitties, etc.

No, I didn't let that happen to Anomen on purpose... :huh:

I've never been drunk in my life.

nerd

(it's a great game btw)

Lois: Honey, what do you say we uh...christen these new sheets, huh?

Peter: Why Lois Griffin, you naughty girl.

Lois: Hehehe...that's me.

Peter: You dirty hustler.

Lois: Hehehehe...

Peter: You filthy, stinky prostitute.

Lois: Aha, ok I get it...

Peter: You foul, venereal disease carrying, street walking whore.

Lois: Alright, that's enough!

Bevil reminded me of Carth. Looked some what like him, whined like him and his voice was similiar.

:bat: I knew he reminded me of someone.

EDIT: (it was kind of spoilerish)

Bevil's not so bad.

He is a good sword arm. The only good use I can think of.

He can make soup! And, and, and carry wood!

And clean the stall in the barn.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

BG wasn't permadeath, resurrection was easy and it was possible for as long as the member was still in your party.

Fallout had the *real* permadeath.

I'd probably prefer BG's one, except in FO you don't much care if your buddies die, and that was intended.

@ BG not if your npc was chunked. Got chunked no resurrection for you.

@ Fallout Sad your character was heartless and had no soul when it came to losing those who fought at his/her side. :bat:

2010spaceships.jpg

"BG wasn't permadeath, resurrection was easy and it was possible for as long as the member was still in your party."

Yes, it was. You die, you are dead. Your npcs die, theya re dead. period.

Remember, you cannot be ressurected (ie. brought back from the dead) unless you are dead. It's illogically impossible 9well.. not in NWN2, lol).

Your characetrs simply do NOT get back up.

And, oh, TOEE had the have to restart after death; but it was an option; NOT forced on the player. That's what we're discussing and why it doesn't really count.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"BG wasn't permadeath, resurrection was easy and it was possible for as long as the member was still in your party."

Remember, you cannot be ressurected (ie. brought back from the dead) unless you are dead. It's illogically impossible 9well.. not in NWN2, lol).

Do you like being intentionally thick? I don't believe that you for a second actually thought that any of us thought "permadeath" was just having people die. I'm sure you realize that we were talking about "permadeath" being permanent death regardless of the presence of ressurection spells. <_<

Edited by Deraldin

Do you like itnetionally attacking other posters? You must. LOL

Perma death is completely different than Iron man Mode which refers to loading vs. restarting.

NWN2 doesn't have permadeath. FO, and BG do. Even though there is no 'ironman mode' in FO or BG (not counting if the player chooses it).

Nice try though.

It's called PERMADEATH; not DIE AND RESTART.

Game over.

R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Do you like being intentionally thick? I don't believe that you for a second actually thought that any of us thought "permadeath" was just having people die. I'm sure you realize that we were talking about "permadeath" being permanent death regardless of the presence of ressurection spells. <_<

The man has attained the next level of understanding about Magical Volo and his amazing Vologic.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Perma detah is comnpletely different than Iron man Mode which refers to loading vs. restarting.

NWN2 doesn't have permadeath. FO, and BG do. Even though there is no 'ironman mode' in FO or BG (not counting if the player chooses it).

Nice try though.

Permadeath refers to someone not being able to ressurect a character after death. Completely different.

Perma detah is comnpletely different than Iron man Mode which refers to loading vs. restarting.

Nice try though.

Permadeath refers to someone not being able to ressurect a character after death. Completely different.

Yes usually if a character has been chunked as in BG.

2010spaceships.jpg

Irrelevant, dammit. First of all, I'm irritated that my desktop is in one place while my laptop is here. That means that my entertainment must come from discussing the game rather than playing it. Since that's the case, it occurs to me that Vol has it right.

If we're going to cite permadeath as we've described it (ie. saves only when you quit and dying means the end of that particular game) only counts if that's the default game design. Ironman, as totally awesome and tubular as some folks find it, really amounts to some gamestop cowboy earning his bragging rights because he only plays games at the hardest settings.

Fine. Maybe he really does enjoy the challenge. Maybe he's not jonsin' for the chance to tell his friends how he managed to defeat the game in five minutes on ironman superdeathmode which deletes your hard drive, sets assassins after your family, and renders you sterile at the first instance of "permadeath." You notice, however, that most games these days only give a nod to the gamestop cowboy types. The default actually caters to the casual gamer.

All this is irrelevant. The death scheme in NWN2 works just like KotOR one and two. (Reason enough to compare KotOR2 to NWN2, huh Vol?) The way these games handle death might not be ideal, but it seems to work and the game is still fun.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Irrelevant, dammit.  First of all, I'm irritated that my desktop is in one place while my laptop is here.  That means that my entertainment must come from discussing the game rather than playing it.  Since that's the case, it occurs to me that Vol has it right.

If we're going to cite permadeath as we've described it (ie. saves only when you quit and dying means the end of that particular game) only counts if that's the default game design.  Ironman, as totally awesome and tubular as some folks find it, really amounts to some gamestop cowboy earning his bragging rights because he only plays games at the hardest settings.

Fine.  Maybe he really does enjoy the challenge.  Maybe he's not jonsin' for the chance to tell his friends how he managed to defeat the game in five minutes on ironman superdeathmode which deletes your hard drive, sets assassins after your family, and renders you sterile at the first instance of "permadeath."  You notice, however, that most games these days only give a nod to the gamestop cowboy types.  The default actually caters to the casual gamer.

All this is irrelevant.  The death scheme in NWN2 works just like KotOR one and two.  (Reason enough to compare KotOR2 to NWN2, huh Vol?)  The way these games handle death might not be ideal, but it seems to work and the game is still fun.

Fun? Yes.

Challenging? Less so than it perhaps should be.

Shouldn't death in games be more than a mere inconvenience? I prefer something like BG had. For example, you have 3 consecutive rooms with enemies in them. If one of your fighters dies in BG in that first room, you're at a significant disadvantage in the next two. If you don't have a raise dead spell + plenty of healing or a resurrection spell on hand, you're in for a steep challenge. You'll have to high-tail it back to a temple. In NWN2, provided you get far enough away from the people in the next room, death is no problem even if you don't have the spells to remedy it. Poison and disease become bigger issues than death. Doesn't that seem a little off?

Edited by Pop

Fun? Yes.

Challenging? Less so than it perhaps should be. Shouldn't death in games be more than a mere inconvenience? I prefer something like BG, where if, for example, you have 3 consecutive rooms with enemies in them. If one of your fighters dies in BG in that first room, you're at a significant disadvantage in the next two. If you don't have a raise dead spell + plenty of healing or a resurrection spell on hand, you're in for a steep challenge. You'll have to high-tail it back to a temple. In NWN2, provided you get far enough away from the people in the next room, death is no problem even if you don't have the spells to remedy it. Poison and disease become bigger issues than death. Doesn't that seem a little off?

NWN2 remedies this problem by having the enemies in rooms two and three come charging out towards you when they hear the fighting going on in room one. If you can't get out of combat, your character doesn't get back up. >_<

Furthermore, if your character dies and is 'resurrected' after the battle, all his maladies (e.g. diseases, lowered ability scores) go away; in some ways it is even benefitial to have your characters die. Even if the player doesn't actively exploit this, he/she will be affected; this contributes to the mechanism where as long as you have healing spells, every battle you can fight with full health and full status, just a few spells less .... unless you rest! Which you can do any time!

I try to resist this and refuse to rest in a dungeon until it's been cleared. Since NWN2's obviously been designed otherwise, this makes the game really challenging... or it would be if it weren't for the 2nd flaw:

If you are fighting and, say, only Neeshka is left. She hightails from her enemies, naturaly, adnt hey follow - what the, hey? Your companions, who have been left 'dead' in that room which is now vacated by enemies, have revived! Neeshka comes back, and the companions destroy the enemy. Really, really stupid.

I think if they wanted to have the auto-resurrecting characters, they needed to make it a bit more skimpy; i.e. as long as any one character is in combat, nobody can be resurrected; resurrected characters retain all status maladies; resting isn't quite so easy (at the very least requiring items). But then, what are you gonna do? Casual players wont like it.

Fun? Yes.

Challenging? Less so than it perhaps should be. Shouldn't death in games be more than a mere inconvenience? I prefer something like BG, where if, for example, you have 3 consecutive rooms with enemies in them. If one of your fighters dies in BG in that first room, you're at a significant disadvantage in the next two. If you don't have a raise dead spell + plenty of healing or a resurrection spell on hand, you're in for a steep challenge. You'll have to high-tail it back to a temple. In NWN2, provided you get far enough away from the people in the next room, death is no problem even if you don't have the spells to remedy it. Poison and disease become bigger issues than death. Doesn't that seem a little off?

NWN2 remedies this problem by having the enemies in rooms two and three come charging out towards you when they hear the fighting going on in room one. If you can't get out of combat, your character doesn't get back up. >_<

O rly? In my experience it depends on whether or not there's a door impeding the enemies' field of vision. I'm not sure if the enemies are capable of opening doors, but I don't think I've ever seen one actually do it.

And that's not all to say that NWN2 is a cakewalk. There are plenty of fights in which your entire party will get wiped out, especially when fighting demons. In the later parts of the game, when you can get a rod of resurrection and your clerics can cast mass-heal, though, you're tough to beat.

Made it to chapter two. >_<

So far, still good.

Some bugs and slowdowns are increasing the frustration level, but so far the fun level outweighs it. :)

Characterwise, I think they've done a good job this time around, other than the

fire mage

I like all the characters, even the chaotic evil

Bishop

:)

Enemies can and do open doors. I'm not sure how consistently they'll do it though. And in some maps the doors are left open exactly for this purpose.