KotOR2 confirmed at 1Up.com

Ep II have no dialogue saying "I am a servent of the Light now" and so gets extra +1000 points.

As for being a Jedi ... well Qui-Gon did hide their jedi status in Tatooine, fact is unless you see a lightsaber you dont know if he can be a Jedi or not.

Master/Padawan is not that much of a problem, we could have the master not active being in the party (after all as the comics shown Padawan were many times assigned without a master, even Ep. II had Obi being separeted from Anakin for most of the movie) until the character is high enough level for the level diference being too small to have any significant impact.

drakron.png

Ep II have no dialogue saying "I am a servent of the Light now" and so gets extra +1000 points.

As for being a Jedi ... well Qui-Gon did hide their jedi status in Tatooine, fact is unless you see a lightsaber you dont know if he can be a Jedi or not.

Master/Padawan is not that much of a problem, we could have the master not active being in the party (after all as the comics shown Padawan were many times assigned without a master, even Ep. II had Obi being separeted from Anakin for most of the movie) until the character is high enough level for the level diference being too small to have any significant impact.

It's corny but its quite in character for Star Wars dialogue. The +1000 points is niether here or there. Its nothing to do with the dialogue.

Anyone who is force sensitive can spot them unless they are actively hiding. They all tend to dress alike before the purge as well. It's almost like a uniform.

If the master isnt active then there isnt much point having one. Those who know about Jedi will know there is one out there somewhere and those who dont know well it wont bother them.

You could possibly do it like in FFX where you met Auron (who was rather powerful) at the begining of the game and you got seperated when Sin attacked and you met him again later in the game when you were a comparable power level. Having some sort of disaster that seperates you from your "baby sitter" and leaves you alone and clueless is a pretty good way to start a game.

Then later on he can show up to either help or oppose you depending on where you happen to be on the Karmic ladder.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

That is what I mean about the Master not active being in the party at start, he sould be avaible to offer advice and being someone the padawan can talk to.

As for the jedi ... again Qui Gon did it on Tatooine and was able to not be detected except for Anakin (that recognized the lightsaber), nothing says that force users can detect another, Vader knew Obi force signature but every creature have a force signature.

drakron.png

That is what I mean about the Master not active being in the party at start, he sould be avaible to offer advice and being someone the padawan can talk to.

As for the jedi ... again Qui Gon did it on Tatooine and was able to not be detected except for Anakin (that recognized the lightsaber), nothing says that force users can detect another, Vader knew Obi force signature but every creature have a force signature.

Auron is very much active at the start. Basically long enough to walk you through what is the "tutorial" part of the game. Then you get seperated.

If someone is on hand to ask advice then you have to wonder why he isnt doing anything else. It makes no sense that your party get beaten silly and you reload a game when there is a level whatever Master on hand who stands there and does nothing beyond give advice. It makes absolutely no sense. Even Yoda is more than willing to get his saber out when the situation calls for it. He didnt sit there giving lightsaber fighting tips to Obi Wan and Anakin..

Thats why you either need to seperate the character from the mentor. Or not have one in the first place except as a background detail the player comes up with.

Other than another force user or overwhelming odds there isnt much that can actually challenge a Jedi.

Qui Gon was simply keeping a low profile but anyone who knew what a Jedi was would have spotted him a mile off.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

If there is a Master/Padawan relationship in KotOR2, I'd prefer it if you were the master and given the option to take on an apprentice when you reach a certain level. It shouldn't be forced upon the player. That would have the potential to annoy some people like the mini games in KotOR.

As for dialogue, I hope it's going to be more serious this time around. Most of it was fine, but those sickly sweet jedi lines were cringe-worthy. Jedi don't talk like that. The lies you say to the council on dantooine are also cheesy. It's amazing they couldn't see through them: "anything to further the light" and crap like that.

Oh yeah, EP2 has some of the worst dialogue in movie history. Just thought I'd say that... :)

I would just have loved the option of a "sneaky"/Obi Wan way (sort of like in Thief) to get to the final destination.

I think the closest you get to that is when you use Mission to free your comrades on the Leviathan! That had a similar feel to Obi-Wan sneaking around, even if your friends were locked up and not blasting stormtroopers like Han and Luke.. hehe.

Providing a "sneak" option near the end where you can reach the final enemy without killing anyone, would be very unusual. Fighting hordes that pour from every orifice is the normal method... :)

I think the closest you get to that is when you use Mission to free your comrades on the Leviathan! That had a similar feel to Obi-Wan sneaking around, even if your friends were locked up and not blasting stormtroopers like Han and Luke.. hehe.

Providing a "sneak" option near the end where you can reach the final enemy without killing anyone, would be very unusual. Fighting hordes that pour from every orifice is the normal method... ;)

Good ol' Mission to the rescue

I really enjoyed the end of KOTOR. I was running through the Star Forge with Juhari and Jolee tossing aside Sith like they were rag dolls.

I had to check myself because I was getting way to arrogant in my abilities. But it really did bring home both how much the character had evolved from Taris and how powerful Jedi are.

I didnt enjoy the cheesey Malek duel though. Didnt really make sense that you couldnt cut through the tanks, and yet your lightsaber would happily sail through them if you threw it.. (maybe my fault for not taking saber throw , but it was a very disatisfying end battle).

478327[/snapback]

Providing a "sneak" option near the end where you can reach the final enemy without killing anyone, would be very unusual. Fighting hordes that pour from every orifice is the normal method... ;)

*LOL*

I forgot about the Leviathan. I used Jolee, going for the old dominate mind of guard trick. Currently playing through it the second time. I'll try Mission then. Thanks for the reminder :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Bzzzzzt.

You need to look in context.

This "hide the sabre so as not too look as a jedi" wouldn't work in KotOR like it would in EP1.... as most people don't know how to use the force as many of the sith do in KotOR.

Well, as long as the player isn't forced to be a Force user like in the original I won't complain...  too much.

REALLY!  :)

First of all, nearly 100% of the people who played the game WANTED to be a Jedi. Besides, the story would not have worked at all if the PC wasn't a Jedi. The PC will probably be "forced" to be a Jedi this time around too. They aren't gonna change something that most people like for you.

Second: yeah right. ;)

I just don't like playing a Jedi. I like to play a pure scoundrel or scout. Jedis are simply too boring. I wouldn't mind seeing additional classes in the game such as the Noble and Fore Adept.

Also I hope they get the Wound/Vitality system done right this time and the Force system is closer to the PnP version.

If I were to pick a class from the pnp version I would have prefered Force Adept... still a force user... but NOT a jedi.

You can be a force user without being a Jedi? Wow, learn something new every day. That would be cool; I hated the Jedi Council.

Well in the Pen and Paper version you can, something they should have in KotOR2 as a class option.

Essentially it's someone who views the force differently than the jedi... a sorcerer for example... or one of the nightsisters of dathomir.

Playing a Jedi wasn't quite as satisfying as I expected. Don't get me wrong I love using their force powers (especially dark side devil.gif) but I was very disappointed with lightsaber combat.

It just didn't feel like you were using a weapon that is literally pure energy, able to slice and dice your opponents with ease. Melee weapons were almost as good. Yeah, this was a balance issue -- you can't expect to kill everything with a single hit from your saber, that would be too easy, but I would like a % chance for instant death (10% would be fine).

Playing a Jedi wasn't quite as satisfying as I expected. Don't get me wrong I love using their force powers (especially dark side devil.gif) but I was very disappointed with lightsaber combat.

It just didn't feel like you were using a weapon that is literally pure energy, able to slice and dice your opponents with ease. Melee weapons were almost as good. Yeah, this was a balance issue -- you can't expect to kill everything with a single hit from your saber, that would be too easy, but I would like a % chance for instant death (10% would be fine).

"Real" saber combat would be very boring in a game. Really it only takes one hit to take someone out of a fight even if the wound isnt fatal. Other than that its all about avoiding being hit. See almost any of the SW battles and when you are talking about flesh (rather than robotic bits) people tend to lose interest in fighting when a bit of them comes off or even if they take a wound.

"Realistically" no one is going to be able to be hit 12 times with a lightsaber , but then again the same is very much true of D&D and weapons in general.

would combat be any fun if it was roll the dice and the one who hits first wins ?

Vorpal swords are fine in theory but when they are used against you they lead to an awful lot of reloads if your unlucky.

478327[/snapback]

IF this rumor is true I would congratulate Obsidian for this wise business move. Some people might be disappointed that they are doing a Bioware handdown, but you have to look at the situation from another angle. Obsidian is a yound company which had no incomes in the beginning and was propably founded by the founders private money itsself. Developing a totally original first game might mean their end if the game flops. Otherwise producing Kotor2 will bring them a lot of cash and enable them to do someting more original because then they will be financially secured and not in the danger to go bakrupt.

So I would advise to see this development as an opportunity for another original game and not the end of it.

I think that this is similar to the book publishers. You must have some well-selling authors in your portfolio to fund books which are in an artistic way very interesting but for the same reason only bought by a limited group of consumers.

With best regards

Antagonist

Vorpal swords are fine in theory but when they are used against you they lead to an awful lot of reloads if your unlucky.

Yeah, that's always the problem, it's nice to use them on your enemies but not so good when they're used against you. ;)

That being said, I don't think lightsabers were implemented all that well. They felt like glorified swords and not a lethal energy weapon. If they didn't "glow" they'd be no different to a blade.

Upgrading them with crystals was a nice touch, especially the 2 super crystals - HotG and MotF. At least this increased their power.

I'm not sure what the solution is - extra damage, vorpal, or simply nerfing melee weapons to compensate - but lightsabers should be more deadly somehow.

Jedi Academy is a good example of "realistic" saber combat.