We only talk about Fallout

Fenghuang

I'm replaying Fallout Tactics right now and the turn based-combat system is very good, just as I remember it.

The problem with Fallout is that you control only one character, which in many cases eliminates the thinking. Combat in Fallout is essentially about moving one guy and then waiting for hours for it to become your turn again. You'll always have your plan ready and there are extremely few situations in the game where you'll have to use the time you opponent moves to adapt a new plan.

In games which are balanced for more characters such as F:T, you need more time to think because of the more complex situations. In Fallout, unless you are playing for the first time, you'll always have your plan ready. You could compare the combat in the old Fallout games with playing chess with only two pieces.

Okay so some of you might argue that there were allies in Fallout, but you couldn't control them directly and either they were either always suicidally running to charge the enemy or shooting you in the back at the first sight of them. Basically, on a tactical level they were only nuisances providing no real tactical depth.

Generally I prefer turn-based combat to real-time, however Fallout is the worst example of how to make turn-based combat a chore.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Isn't VATS pretty much useless in New Vegas? I know I don't use it and just play it like a first person shooter and it's a lot more fun. I could never play it turn-based that's for sure.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

VATS isn't turn based.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

VATS is for when you're clumsy enough to get swarmed or when your computer just stutters and you can't aim properly.

And combat in FT had plenty weaknesses, bad almost nonexistent enemy AI, the duck crouch, unbalanced weaponry,... If they had enough time to balance it it might have been as good as or even better than Ja2 combat.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

VATS isn't turn based.

Well it's still Fallout combat.

Just the more... clumsy Bethesda variation.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Still, no... :(

It's a system for location based damage that breaks Fallout 3's combat.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: