Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Windows Vista for Gamers

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
I just replaced Vista Bussiness with good ol XP on my nw laptop and the performance increase is clearly notiecable, not to mention that all my software will work correctly now. :verymad:

I would not recommend anyone to run Vista for any reason.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts

As far as I know you can always format and install another operative system on a laptop as well. You just need to get an install disc separately. My laptop came with XP, but it's a crappy version (with a lot of junk pre-installed) so I've stopped using the rescue disc and just do clean installs with a better version when I feel the need. Don't see why newer laptops should be any different.

You can also install PCDecrapifier to get rid of the bulk. But a clean install of just the operating system is best! :verymad:

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
New laptops with the SantaRosa chipset are much more difficult to install XP on. The only way youre even going to be able to get Xp to detect your hardrives is to slipstream the SATA drivers into an Xp *.iso and if you succeed with that you still have to do alot of detective work to find drivers which may need to be converted before theyre useable.

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 12681 posts
I remain pretty much convinced I am skipping Vista fwiiw ...

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
I do have one friend who loves Vista, and he knows more about computers than I do. He's a programmer so he doesnt use the computer for anything else than Visual Studio and watching films. I would think the computer compiles slower with Vista(as it renders 3D slower) but he claims it doesnt.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10995 posts
  • Steam:Tale
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I know only two things of Vista that I care about.

1) There's only one feature of Vista that I'm interested in. The one that enables graphics drivers to run (and crash) like user apps. IE, without taking the whole system with them.
2) If that's the only feature of Vista that I'm interested in, Microsoft did crap for consumer research in regards to my demographic.

Maybe Vista has another feature I'm interested in. Anyone here know if lowering your desktop resolution then raising it back restores your old icon locations?

Edited by Tale, 06 September 2007 - 11:14 AM.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
I was just watching film at my friends place. It lags and stutters because of Vista cant handle older ATI cards

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 12681 posts
Can't handle? Is that a DX 10 issue?

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
We dont really know what it is, we think its a driver issue but it doesnt work with any currently released ATI-Vista drivers.

Other fun Vista perks: if you try to paint using a tablet in Photoshop, the brush will lag even on an Intel C2D 2gHz with 2gb of DDR2 RAM :shifty:

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
  • Steam:apocalypse_2000

The best thing you could ever do. My parents bought a new computer with Vista and in my opinion it sucks. I'll stick with WinXP Pro.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10654 posts

The best thing you could ever do. My parents bought a new computer with Vista and in my opinion it sucks. I'll stick with WinXP Pro.

I don't know if it is an improvement over Vista or not, but Windows Vienna (current code name) is approx. two years away. I think that Vista is to the NT family what ME was to the 95 family, i.e. best forgotten :thumbsup:

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
  • Steam:apocalypse_2000
Well its a huge improvement, I think, to my parents old computer which has Win95. Too bad Vista is not that great. After reading the various magazines that were hyping it up as it was in production, only to be let down by its MEness.

thepixiesrock

thepixiesrock

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3694 posts
I don't know whatt he problem is. If you just don't read any of the reviews or hype for Vista, and if you've used ME exclusively for the past seven years like me, Vista is great! Look, a 3D veiw of the windows you have open! Wonders truly never cease.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10995 posts
  • Steam:Tale
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer
I would have considered purchasing it if they finally implemented touch attacks applying sneak attacks.

Wait, wrong thread. Same idea, though. If they had implemented features that target my interests. Batch file renaming, skinning, that issue where if you change your resolution then change it back your icons go all over the place. Most important would have been streamlining and lowering the OS's default footprint.

Customization
Organization
Performance

Edited by Tale, 10 September 2007 - 07:58 AM.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
Kaftan's wonderful Vista feature list:
  • takes several minutes to bootup/reboot
  • requires twice the memory of XP just to idle
  • is incompatible with a wide range of proffessional applications
  • makes compatible software run like ****
  • Has more features than anyone would ever need or want
  • Is realli pretty

thepixiesrock

thepixiesrock

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3694 posts
Hey, you're in luck!

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
My wish for a Windows OS would be Windows Pure ©: an empty, tiny OS that runs applications only. Nothing else.

Let me choose my browser. Let me choose my firewall. Let me choose my file manager. Let me chose my music player.

STOP SHOVING YOUR **** DOWN MY THROAT, MICROSOFT!! I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF YOUR BLOATWARE!

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
Vista running great and stable here and I'll never go back to XP. Drivers have come a real long way since release and many of the games I tried run like they did in XP

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
The only guy I know who actually uses Vista and loves it, just switched to XP because of an accident(it crashed and refused to validate his serial when he tried to reinstall) and lo and behold.. today he tells me he noticed 7zip now takes only half the time to compress the same amount of data as with Vista. And he can finally watch videos without getting seasick from the lag.

-And everything else goes faster too, its like; Woosh!!
-I told you so.
-Well yeah.. but.. I dont really need it to go that fast anyway.
-Yes, you do.
-No, I dont.
-You totally do.
-No, I dont and I also know which forums you frequent and if you write in any fo them about this Im going to kill you.
-Phh, you know me. I would never make fun of my friends on public forums.

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6542 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
Kill him! :devil:

0 user(s) are reading this topic