Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Windows Vista for Gamers

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 12676 posts
Windows Vista for Gamers: Graphics Card Performance Preview

I enjoyed this article and I thought this observation was telling indeed:

As soon as games that demand WGF support to run appear, the transition of gaming platforms to Windows Vista will be inevitable. But so far, Windows XP is the main OS for gaming platforms and will remain such for quite a long while yet.

Pop

Pop

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4040 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Aqua Regis
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
Gamespot had a feature awhile back about running old games on Vista. I remember Fallout 2 worked fine, but none of the Infinity engine games they ran worked.

I'ma go find it.

*edit - Found it. Looks like my initial summary was a little off.

Edited by Pop, 19 September 2006 - 06:40 PM.

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 12676 posts
Thanks for that Pop. It is great to see actual findings posted in such an accessible way.

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4630 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Windows Vista for Gamers: Graphics Card Performance Preview

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe itīs just me, but that preview sounded really optimistic.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
PC format did a prognosticating preview a few months ago; their assessment was that until the developers start developing games that use the new DirectX10-compatible (i.e. Shader Model 4 and up), which won't happen until Windows Vista is a significant proportion of the OS installed base, then Windows Vista will just be a nice-to-have.

In other words, Windows Vista won't be necessary until everyone has it. (Which is sort of a catch-22, except that people will upgrade for other reasons.)

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 12676 posts
I thought the observation around OEM adoption was interesting. I just read another article on the sales that are occurring now and the concern that the market in most western countries is pretty saturated and that the irony is that Vista may have better penetration in countries such as India & China!

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
This doesn't surprise me at all. It was possible to get Windows 98 SE for a long time after XP came out (which is funny, because they continued support for 98 SE, rather than ME).

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 12676 posts
Thank goodness - ME is an evil plague on the face of the earth :(

I have had no end in supporting clients who have yet to migrate to XP. The rationale that it is paid for, seems to trump 'it's no longer supported and continues to cost you by having me here.'

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Hahaha. Whatever, keeps you busy I guess.

In both Windows 98 and Windows XP, I was slow to make the transition myself.

I used Windows 95 at least until Windows 98 SE came out (since i never used non second edition win98). And I know I had Windows 98 SE still installed when I moved into the city just over 3 years ago, so that'd put me into 2003. Once I started having issues with Win98 not really being supported, whether it be via drivers or applications, is when I made the transition.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
Ive switched to the new Windows within a month of release since Win95 (I liked DOS better) but Im very sceptical towards WinVista. I just get the feeling it would be kind of like...

45.3 Gb of nonregistered media content located on drive G. Now deleting files, initiating hardware destruct sequence and filing automatic rapport to the RIAA and FBI. Thankyou for experiencing the new Windows Vista!

(I have a lot of records, I just prefer to have then on my hardrive instead of in big crates I cant fit into this one room apartment)

Edited by Kaftan Barlast, 20 September 2006 - 03:35 PM.

@\NightandtheShape/@

@\NightandtheShape/@

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1561 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Grimmling
I will get vista, but it won't be for atleast a year after initial release, and I'll buy a new system for it. The machine I have now? That will be XP gaming machine, I've decided to not trust compatibility, I have too many games, to be risking them to vista, I was contemplating dual boot but now... I'm certain I will have two seperate machines.

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I like something I read a while back about how MS is going to start doing a brand type thing for Windows Vista based games, much like how Playstation and Xbox games have the banner thingy right on the package saying which platform its for, and they're going to start doing marketing campaigns promoting windows as a gaming platform in order to boost PC game sales in general.

Edited by Oerwinde, 20 September 2006 - 07:47 PM.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6449 posts
DX10 is on Vista.

Diamond

Diamond

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1454 posts
I think it is a perfect time to switch to Ubuntu.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts

DX10 is on Vista.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but it will take about a year for GAMES to actually use DX10.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts

I think it is a perfect time to switch to Ubuntu.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree.

I am becoming increasaingly irate with the boot time of my laptop with XP.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
Im already running it.. except its Kubuntu :p

(which is Ubuntu with KDE instead of Gnome GUI)

Diamond

Diamond

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1454 posts
I am a KDE fan, but I think I'll give Gnome another chance by installing Ubuntu on my shiny new box.

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I've always prefered Gnome over KDE, simply because it appears to be more consistent. Dunno if that even made sense. I just like it.

Diamond

Diamond

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1454 posts
Actually I think KDE wins the consistency part with their tight integration of components (KParts).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users