IGN's NWN2 impression

kumquatq3

That GC06 video just looks like NWN with better graphics.

Fine by me. I've been trying to play NWN in the last few days, and the graphics are really a turn-off for me now. I guess it comes from the way the world's built up with tiles to make it easy to create your own modules, but it just feels very clinical and artificial. I only just realised it, but I would honestly say that Baldur's Gate 2 looked a lot better.

If NWN2 has similar gameplay but cosier, more vibrant and more artistic graphics, then I'll be a very happy gamer. :(

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I agree BG2 looks ALOT better than NWN... I think I mentioned that somewhere (don't search! It is like 1 1/2 year ago :ermm: )

Excuses of what?  :(

Is J.E. making up excuses for the fact "working finalised" stuff is missing... and do we have yet ANOTHER (like we haven't seen enough?) case of mismanagement here?

There is no other explenation as far as I can see...

It starts to feel more and more (to me) like they never learned jack from all KOTOR2's stuff the more footage they throw at us; most lacking the things promised us; or reducing the functions promised.

I think the correct term is nitpicking.

If something is reported done; don't you expect it to be done? Or do you call Kotor2 "done" and don't mind the same *quality* in NWN2?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Excuses of what?  :(

Is J.E. making up excuses for the fact "working finalised" stuff is missing... and do we have yet ANOTHER (like we haven't seen enough?) case of mismanagement here?

It starts to feel more and more (to me) like they never learned jack from all KOTOR2's stuff the more footage they throw at us; most lacking the things promised us; or reducing the functions promised.

I rather see finalised NWN2 at october than every demo containing all the latest stuff every time.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Is J.E. making up excuses for the fact "working finalised" stuff is missing...

Cut the guy some slack, will you mate? I'm sure he's doing the best he can considering the fact how late in the development process he took charge of the project. FYI, Josh openly stated that he personally disagrees with many of the questionable NWN2 design decisions (i.e. auto-resurrecting henchmen) but that it was simply too late to change them now. For my part, I'm glad that he's trying to fix what he can (Discipline, Knockdown, Disarm, attribute stacking...) in the amount of time he's given.

BTW, I too think that NWN2 has suffered a lot because of mismanagement and Atari's current financial woes. So, while I'm sure the NWN2OC will be vastly superior to the NWN1OC, I somehow fear that the game as a whole will receive much less support than its predecessor in terms of patches and additional content.

My experience is that things which are done are sometimes not installed until later because once installed they make it more difficult to work on things still under development.

Even if the auto cover is finished it doesn't make sense to put it over the car while the mechanics are still tuning the engine.

That may be a factor. Don't know.

:thumbsup:

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Combat fidgets or not, combat still will be a clickfest.

Would you prefer a game like Dungeon Siege that does all the clicking for you? If by clickfest you mean that all you will be doing is clicking on enemies then maybe you should try a caster class.

Edited by Jumjalum

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

I rather see finalised NWN2 at october than every demo containing all the latest stuff every time.

I rather see they use the newest build when they go out to shows instead of making PR-builds... or whatever they might do...

-snap-

Aye. But even if he cleans up made mess and makes radical changes (which might cause new delays/issues/mess-ups/mismanagementthings) making a statement like "We have it finalised" and than having something like "Yeah; but we couldn't put it in after it was done" doesn't make me feel any better than before he took over...

My experience is that things which are done are sometimes not installed until later because once installed they make it more difficult to work on things still under development.

Even if the auto cover is finished it doesn't make sense to put it over the car while the mechanics are still tuning the engine.

That may be a factor. Don't know.

Good point!

I guess if that was the way it could be understandable but from what I gathered (back on the 19th) from J.E.'s words was that it was Done; and thus *should* have been in their latest build (and considering that was all "done" before the 16th thus in the 16th august build).

I doubt any dev. would show up and explain this though... Especially since NWN2 is al Bio-Boards stuff...

(though I would be curious what exactly could animation screw up otherwise. Character model? But that should mean new (better) meshes and stuff... it would be nice to see better (more detailed) chars; but somehow I doubt that'll happen...)

I know I wouldn't.  DS wasn't a game.  It was a Screen Saver.

Each their own; I guess...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

If something is reported done; don't you expect it to be done? Or do you call Kotor2 "done" and don't mind the same *quality* in NWN2?

Apparently you've never heard of respositories or anything like that.

If something is reported done, it provides zero guarantee that it's going to be in a particular build of a game. It's possible that the build shown was off of a different branch that didn't include the fixes. Or maybe it was built off the main trunk, but the completed fidgets hadn't been merged into the main trunk yet.

You need some actual understanding of software development before you can actually make a claim like that.

"Latest Build" doesn't mean anything. Heck, since you have demonstrated your extensive knowledge about Valve and Half-Life 2 in the past, surely you remember that reading in the news how the stolen build on Gabe Newell's laptop was very out of date.

It is also possible that, given the relatively short duration, they didn't want it to go through without some QA looking at it. You'd rather they use the "latest build" (without understanding what that means)...maybe they'd rather not put stuff into the demo build (assuming the people making the demo build had access to it...what with being in a different country and all) that has only received any testing from the programmer that implemented it.

Hey there are some pretty recent pics here.  It's in French though.

http://www.neverwinternights2.fr/modules/n...php?storyid=164

Pretty. :)

The interior looks a lot less soulless than in NWN1. I'm warming to the character portraits (or lack thereof) as well.

Edited by SteveThaiBinh

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Either that or the build was specifically chosen for stability rather than having every last feature in the game but full of bugs.

I'll keep in mind the next time I hear something is "working" it will mean exactly what is says... but barely and certainly not suitable... :-"

^

I'll keep in mind the next time I hear something is "working" it will mean exactly what is says... but barely and certainly not suitable...  :-"

I'm sorry if you're so unaware of the development process that you think a feature is bug-free the day it's implemented, but that's not how it works. Avellone took a stable build with him to Leipzig. Frank implemented combat fidgets in a build made after that one. The fidgets play erratically and sometimes not at all. That's why we're still working on the game: because it's buggy.

Site doesn't load for me :rolleyes:

And we seem to have a different definition of "working". Usually (to me) that means that it is actually finished and ready; not just barely works...

^