IGN's NWN2 impression

kumquatq3

mmm, fidgets. makes me happy. >_<

kirottu, the permeation of hades into the wider world may have severe implications.

Please refrain from hilarious speculation on the murder of our fellow members. You may, however, murder me with both glee and humor.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Please refrain from hilarious speculation on the murder of our fellow members.  You may, however, murder me with both glee and humor.

*murders Cantousent*

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

It's going to be hard now looking at the characters without thinking, 'Ooh, he's doing a combat fidget'. But I'm glad that you've got this working, and I'd love to see a video too, though I suppose that's up to Atari. :)

Could we not murder the mods, please? Honestly, don't we get through them fast enough as it is?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Don't worry, I'd just come back again. They'll use me as a model for the combat fidget.

I'm really not nearly as interested in the combat graphics as I am the gameplay mechanics and story, however. That's where the game will make or break for me. The combat fidgetting and other such is fluff. Sure, I'll like it if it works properly, but it won't be the final word on the game.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

After reading the several pages of this thread, I can garauntee (sp?) that there will be dissapointed gammers. I think one of the greatest problem with doing a sequel is that it is compared to the original.

I am not a big D&D fan, and I have not played NWN I. I am hoping that NWN2 is just as good as the screenshots.

I personally don't have any expectations for this game, so this will be my maiden voyage into the NWN world.

I personally don't have any expectations for this game...

That's a good way to increase the chances of enjoying it, I think. :)

I don't think most people here will be disappointed, though, unless there are serious stability issues or something of that nature. The fact that we're on an Obsidian forum probably means we're predisposed towards liking their games. Like everyone else, I have preferences for one thing over another in terms of gameplay, graphics and so on, but I'll take my second or third preference if it's well done, or if other aspects of the game make up for it.

Really looking forward to this game quite a lot, now. :):)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I think one of the greatest problem with doing a sequel is that it is compared to the original.

I personally don't have any expectations for this game

It almost sounds as if you played NWN's OC.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

It sounds like it'll be NWN done right. I hated the lego structure of the original and I thought the game had very little tactics without a whole party to command. I just hope Atari will be in shape to give it the support it will need.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

That is one of my concerns as well.  If Atari and Obsidian can't support the game post release then what would be the point of buying it?

Also depends on how "completed" the final product is shipped.

I.E. Does it make sense (*cough*TSL*cough*); is it buggy (Vampires) is it balanced?

If that is fine all fine on release less post-production stuff could be bare-able. Just like good support can make an avarage game great through fixes...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Record= Boiling Point? :ermm:"

Atari = LA? :)"

And OE got it's own QA now...

So; we shall see.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Atari's record is made of games like ToEE, MoO3, DDO, and the like.

As for OE has its own QA staff I remember that Bioware had its own QA staff for NWN 1 and it was very buggy when it was first released. Just because they have their own QA staff doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

Edited by Judge Hades

I think about UT2K4, Boiling Point and Fahrenheit (or Indigo Prophecy for Jack Thompson) if I think about Atari. But that could just be me. Ofcourse I am not that much of a RPG-fan...

As for QA: Let's first give them a chance to show their powers before shooting them down, okay?

(just to mention; even after ToSC and bugfixes I find BG1 ENORMOUSLY buggy. It doesn't make it a bad game though...; altough I certainly wish they would have been fixed in all that time)

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

It has nothing to do with shooting them down, Hassat. It is just how the industry is because of the various configurations that PCs come in. You have almost an infinite amount of configurations with hardware and software combination which makes it impossible for Obsidian to anticipate every single build to make the game run smoothly on all of them.

Bugs are the norm, no matter how competent a programmer you are.. It is how well Atari and Obsidian supports the game afterwards that matters.

Edited by Judge Hades

Well; Freelancer (Oh my...evil MS) and Republic: The Revolution (small independant company) are pretty stable overall... and know what; they have no patches (Well, FL has 1; but that is only for MP servers)...

The GTA (and other R*) games are also pretty stable (altough I have noticed alot of complains... and a specific game-stopping bug in SA) and only became more so for the PC after 3.

So the only way to tell if it going to be 'buggy' is to see the product in the end; and even if there are bugs (which there are going to be) support may not even be needed afterwards; due to the low amount of infected people.

Anyway; Point of this all: Altough I ofcourse would hope and want support it all depends on the original IF said support is needed. Let's hope OE took a lesson of Kotor2's quite obvious (HK-50, swoop, Redemption?) bugriddenness...

^

Ofcourse I am not that much of a RPG-fan...

Not meant as an insult, attack, or anything malicious, just mere curiosity, but...this is a rather weird forum to frequent if you're not much of a RPG fan.

I know *this* subforum caters to all sorts of games, but still.

Ah well, carry on. :)"

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Hopefully Atari will realise that in terms of post-production support NWN2 is more akin to a MMO, and that it was pivotal to the success of NWN1. Sounds optimistic when it comes to Atari, but we shall see. They were, after all, involved in NWN1.

I was under the impression that Bioware only started financing patches after the plug was pulled on NWN by Atari.

Edited by Jumjalum

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif