IGN's NWN2 impression

kumquatq3

I love it how Hades does a 180 every couple of weeks. I'm sure by the end of the month he'll be back to hating Morrowind and loving NWN2, despite the lack of awesome jump action.

Hey, I make John Kerry look stable! (w00t)

I do like Morrowind and Oblivion a great deal. Two of the top CRPGs in recent years. My ideal game would be a hybrid of Planescape: Torment and Oblivion. All the free form exploration with a story driven adventure.

I just want OE to be able to make exactly the games they want to. Preferably for the PC.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Just because noone has done it yet doesn't mean it's impossible. It might just mean that more skill is needed.

What he's asking for is next to impossible, if not impossible.

A story driven adventure usually means you (the PC) must be driven through a defined story, which contradicts being in an open ended game where you can do anything you choose.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Story-driven adventure doesn't rule out the possibility of an open-ended world. Heck, Oblivion was exactly that, only they completely screwed up the main storyline part. It was very possible to make a good story, with good branching multilinearity and actually compelling writing/characters, Bethesda just didn't pull it off.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Bethesda should really focus more on hiring good designers and writers, and less on soil errosion

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

What was the whole deal with soil erosion in Oblivion, anyway? It certainly wasn't something I ever noticed.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Story-driven adventure doesn't rule out the possibility of an open-ended world. Heck, Oblivion was exactly that, only they completely screwed up the main storyline part. It was very possible to make a good story, with good branching multilinearity and actually compelling writing/characters, Bethesda just didn't pull it off.

Oblivion comes close but no cigar. It is within the realm of possibility and if anyone can do it it is the Obsidian peeps.

Looks good, but

1/ Why do people explode in a heap of blood like someone bombed their arteries every time they die due to a sword-thrust?

2/ battles still seem unnaturally static, similarly to nwn1 but in some ways even more so. The 'static' animations are clunky and not 'active' enough, and especially when the boars are being killed you can see that despite the fact there are numerous crittesr on the screen, it really doesn't feel like a concerted battle.

"2/ battles still seem unnaturally static, similarly to nwn1 but in some ways even more so."

NWN1 battles were anythiung but static. they were fluid, the animations were flowing awesome, and the combat looked sweet, and it never looked like characetrs were simply standing still. NWN2 has better graphics overall than NWN1; but at this points, it's combat simply looks augh. Hopefully, this will change by the time its released.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

2/ battles still seem unnaturally static, similarly to nwn1 but in some ways even more so. The 'static' animations are clunky and not 'active' enough, and especially when the boars are being killed you can see that despite the fact there are numerous crittesr on the screen, it really doesn't feel like a concerted battle.

Yes, that was the thing I didn't like about NWN1 (and now NWN2), but that's just an artifact of turn-based combat system, I think.

What was the whole deal with soil erosion in Oblivion, anyway? It certainly wasn't something I ever noticed.

When you use a heightmap* to contruct the landscape, you tend to get these very smooth hills and valleys. Soil errosion emulation is something Bethesda invented to get more rocky, jagged surfaces on mountains etc.

* A heightmap is a greyscale image that you use to make the engine distort a flat piece of 3D ground. Grey areas will not be effected at all, but white ares will generate hills and black valleys. The whiter/blacker an area of the image is, the higher/lower the terrain will be

HeightMap.jpg

simple example.