Bioshock interview @TTLG

Morgoth

Filched this off Morgoth's links:

"So that moment, the dark contortions of the plot at large, is the third and final triumph that makes BioShock an instant classic. But it also precedes the third and final problem. This is a short sequence and not a very difficult one, but its mediocrity is hard to stomach because of when it occurs. It's the end. After a game so singularly smart and beautiful that it makes others seem laughable, we get a final level that could have been pulled straight from the tripe BioShock puts to shame elsewhere. Imagine Citizen Kane ending, after you find out what 'Rosebud' means, with zombie Orson Welles fighting a giant Agent Smith made of smaller Agent Smiths. It doesn't negate how wonderful the preceding experience has been, but it does rather spoil the mood.

Regardless, Bioshock is a dark and astonishing masterpiece. It might not be as flawless as Half-Life 2, but it bites off so much more and accomplishes it all magnificently. Even if you've soaked up every preview and trailer with relish, you haven't scratched the surface of how deep this unsettling meditation on hubris and insanity actually goes. If it were just a thrilling ride through a twisted and remarkable plot, BioShock would eventually get old. But there's a physicality and openness to its richly systematic combat that suggests it'll stay fresh for a very long time.

This is the really bewildering thing about it: it succeeds so stunningly on three different fronts. Not esoteric ones, either, these are the big challenges developers have been struggling to master for decades: narrative, emergence, a sense of place. If another game did just one of these as well as BioShock, it would immediately qualify as a classic. When a game comes along that does all three, we can only be baffled and thankful.

I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five.

- Tom Francis"

I believe the word is awesome.

Edit: I pre-ordered a game for the first time in my life.

yeah, that sounds great. Like almost all of the Oblivion reviews. Speaking of which, anybody know how this guy scored Oblivion?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I have a new widescreen monitor. I'm finding 61:10 support lacking in a lot of games. I'm hoping they have plenty of resolutions available.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

According to one of those reviews, there should be more than one ending. And the PC version has better graphics, better UI and modding. But at least the Xbox360 will get some downloadable content such as unique plasmids, yay!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I have a new widescreen monitor. I'm finding 61:10 support lacking in a lot of games. I'm hoping they have plenty of resolutions available.

PC Gamer's reviewer played the game at 1600x900, so it should have support for any resolutions you throw at it.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

you got there first, you little bastard!

This should be my topic!

Heja Sverige!!

Considering that there are already reviews floating around the 'web', has the game officially gone gold yet?

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Considering that there are already reviews floating around the 'web', has the game officially gone gold yet?

It has now.

Feck Yeah! :lol:

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Why keeping a cool name like "Irrational" when you also can slap a boring corporate name like "2K Blablah" onto it? :down:

Click

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), announced today the name change of industry leading development studio Irrational Games to 2K Boston and 2K Australia. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts and with offices in Canberra, Australia, Irrational Games is an internationally renowned developer of story-driven, genre-defining games with award-winning hits like System Shock 2, Freedom Force, Tribes: Vengeance, and SWAT 4. The name changes to 2K Boston and 2K Australia symbolize the studios

Why keeping a cool name like "Irrational" when you also can slap a boring corporate name like "2K Blablah" onto it? :down:

Click

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), announced today the name change of industry leading development studio Irrational Games to 2K Boston and 2K Australia. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts and with offices in Canberra, Australia, Irrational Games is an internationally renowned developer of story-driven, genre-defining games with award-winning hits like System Shock 2, Freedom Force, Tribes: Vengeance, and SWAT 4. The name changes to 2K Boston and 2K Australia symbolize the studios’ further integration into the 2K Games family following their outstanding performance on BioShock™, the upcoming blockbuster available exclusively for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system and Games For Windows on August 21, 2007 in North America and in Europe beginning August 24, 2007.

That is just utter bull****. They made an icon into a grimy gear of a corporate machine. I can't just take this any differently. I don't care for marketing or associative assets, this is just complete bogus suittalk. What kind of publisher rewards by taking away an identity? What kind of ****ing reward is loosing your individuality as a developing unit?

I hope 2K Games at least makes a ****load of dough so "2K Boston" can keep making unique titles, instead of becoming a license product sweatshop.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Within 5 years, Ken Levine leaves 2K and forms his own development-studio. I haven't read enough of courses in finance to know whether this was a smart or not, but my common sense says a definite "NO".

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Bioshock's demo is available for the XBox 360.

PC gamers will have to wait... :thumbsup:

Heja Sverige!!