Why did you join he military?

Kaftan Barlast

And with "miltary" I mean army, navy, airforce, national guard.. the works. And I want to ask everyone, no just peeps from the US.

I know a lot of you have more or less voluntarily served but I would like to know why you signed up? What makes one go into a recruitment office and sign a contract? It seems most people do it for the benefits and/or the money, not because they have a deep urge to serve the goverment.

In Sweden we have compulsory military duty so I like all men was sent to this base to go through evaluation but it just took me an hour to realise the military wasnt for me(slight problem with authority :wub:") so I wiggled out of it.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

In Sweden, Kaftan is commonly referred to as a p.ussy (mus) :wub:)

Macho me was too intimidated by the whole thing (recruitment office was in a BIG CITY, wayyy too scary for a country kid like myself) so I didn't even think of the idea of trying to avoid it. But it turned out well, as I made some of my best friends in the army, I actually felt it matured me as a person and I learnt a lot of neat stuff while in there (Morse code, guard training, life preserve training, heavy vehicle handling, marksmanship and so on). When I look back on that experience I can't complain at all. I'M A MAN NOW!

Edit: I am seriously getting sick of this filter. THE WORD IS USED FOR KITTENS.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

In Finland, it simply is mandatory. Unlike in Sweden, there's two options:

- You're missing a hand, leg or both --> Physically inept for service.

- You're declared insane --> Mentally inept for service (and often, society in general).

If you still want nothing to do with the military, despite you're healthy mentally and physically, you can always do civil service, which is more than the double the length of regular military service. BUT, many companies and people higher up the management despise people who don't do their duty, and they won't hire you. People who do civil service are often labeled as "pus*ies" in Finland.

So, it was simple for me, i just joined the military and had, retrospectively, a quite fun time actually.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

This was "Layla", my assaultrifle during my time in the military :wub:

valmet_95_762.jpg

Caliber: 7.62x39 mm or 5.56x45mm NATO (export versions only)

Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt

Overall length: 914 mm

Barrel length: 420 mm

Weigth: 4.3 kg without magazine (3.5 kg Rk.76 with stamped receiver)

Magazine capacity: 30 rds

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Canada doesn't really have a military. We rely on our good looks and charming personality to convince our enemies it is useless to attack us and our allies to let us borrow their military ressources when rarely needed.

Canada has a fantastic intelligence agency apparently. They're so good nobody knows about it.

"Canada" is the native word for "Pu55y".

I joined the Navy because I flipped a coin. I was living in Kentucky and unemployed at the tme so I considered joining the armed forces so I flipped a coin. Heads I join the military, tails I move on to something else.

Well, I got heads, so I went into the recruitment center. Air Force was closed, and there was no way I would join the Army or Marines, so the Navy was it. Biggest mistake of my life.

At least I was able to see Australia and shopped in the Sydney malls.

I joined the Navy because I  flipped a coin.  I was living in Kentucky and unemployed at the tme so I considered joining the armed forces so I flipped a coin.  Heads I join the military, tails I move on to something else.

Well, I got heads, so I went into the recruitment center.  Air Force was closed, and there was no way I would join the Army or Marines, so the Navy was it.  Biggest mistake of my life. 

At least I was able to see Australia and shopped in the Sydney malls.

Why was it a mistake? You don't like shopping?

Why, what a silly question. Of course I don't do it to serve the government (who the hell wants to serve a government that is all for granting human rights to simians, anyway?!). I just want to "shoot things".

Well, that, and the fact that I've repeatedly failed at getting into academic life are my reasons for joining.

Heh. Do you know if being missing a testicle is enough to be declared inept? You can't serve (as an officer at least, not sure about plain troops) here unless you have a perfectly complete reproductive system. What with not being ballsy enough and all...

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I joined the Navy at 18 because at the time I didnt have much going for me. While I did graduate high school my career consisted of bouncing from one crap job to another (dishwasher, busboy, etc...). One day I realized if I didnt get my ass in gear thats all I was going to have in life. So, I signed up and spent 8 years touring the world and getting educated as an aircraft electrician. I got out as an E-5 (Aviation Electricians Mate 2nd Class) and firmly belive it was one of the best decisions Ive ever made in my life.

Why, what a silly question. Of course I don't do it to serve the government (who the hell wants to serve a government that is all for granting human rights to simians, anyway?!). I just want to "shoot things".

Well, that, and the fact that I've repeatedly failed at getting into academic life are my reasons for joining.

Heh. Do you know if being missing a testicle is enough to be declared inept? You can't serve (as an officer at least, not sure about plain troops) here unless you have a perfectly complete reproductive system. What with not being ballsy enough and all...

I wonder why you have to have a perfect reproductive system to join the military? Who came up what idea?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Soldiers have to make babies when all the rest have been eradicated by war.... ermmm... in my dreams. :thumbsup:

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Brilliant! Just remember not to end every sentence with "eh" and you should be near unCanadiable! :thumbsup:)

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

*considers posting*

*reconsiders posting*

:Eldar's saving the thread from one of his lenghty rants icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I wonder why you have to have a perfect reproductive system to join the military? Who came up what idea?
Maybe the same people that came up with the idea of human rights for apes... :thumbsup:"

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

straight to college out of high school for me. been in and out of college for 20 years this fall. 2 years to go, but only one more class.

i'd have had a real issue with the level of authority present in the armed forces. i could never just blindly follow orders that way. heck, even as a civilian i'm often getting hot water with supervisor types for saying "why?"

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Because of the free bowey hat :(

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Taks, that is why I didn't mix well with the Navy. Add to the fact they were too freaking structured and did the most inane things like scrapping off perfectly good paint on the side of the ship jus to paint it the same color. WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!