Want a new CRPG.

tarna

Well, it's just I haven't met anyone that got either NWN or HL and didn't play any mod for those. And in both cases, mods provided more entertainment hours than the vanilla game. If that's not depending on mods, I don't know what it is...

I'd say that given the insane amount of (good) modules for NWN, it's probably one of the games that gives the most bang for your buck overall... not to mention MP possibilities.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

When a game comes with tools specifically designed with the intent of allowing users to create their own stories (like NWN), it probably results in them depending somewhat on mods.

Although I didn't actually play too many mods for NWN. I played Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher and that was about it. No PW either.

Well, it's just I haven't met anyone that got either NWN or HL and didn't play any mod for those.

Hi, my name is Gorth. Pleased to meet you :blink:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If this has already been done as a topic, feel free to kick me for starting another thread.

I haven't played a game I liked since BG and IWD. I don't like shooter games, only RPGs like Shining Force ( old-assed Sega game ), Baldur's Gate series and Icewind Dale.

Suggestions?

I'm running a MSI Platinum motherboard with either a 4800+ or an FX-60 and a GeForce 6600 GTE or GeForce 7600 GT video card. Between 1 Gb to 4 Gb ram. WinXP Pro SP1. Plenty of hard-drive space.

Depending on how nostalgic you are feeling, you might want to have a look at Ultima IV, Wasteland, Lords of Midnight and in a pinch even the xcom games and Jagged Alliance 2. While not necessarlily purebred crpg's, they have some qualities that might appeal for one reason or other to people who like Infinity Engine games.

Others have already mention VMBL, Fallouts and Torment :blink:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

What did you expect from a guy whose last name is creep ? :blink:

Wizardry 8: Simply one of the best, most under-appreciated CRPGs ever. Beautiful graphics, great story, fantastic voice-overs, realy good NPCs. The only downside to this game is the combat. Not that it's bad, just very hard(like 40-50 leveled oppponents against your 6 party members hard...). It also has the infamous Fantasy/Sci-Fi mix.

I actually find this to be similar in style to a IWD game. The game is in a FPS mode is the only difference, big difference though. Anyway, this was a surprising game for me, and I would think if you older school games you might get hooked by this one. I did and played it through (about an 80 hr game) three times.

The only thing is go to the forums and find the combat speed up mod, you really need it.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

do you like sandbox games? anyway, if you do, there is a game known as Pirates! that, while not an RPG per se, is a really good adventure game that is all about advancement and choices.

I picked up a used copy of it for Xbox yesterday and have been having a blast with it.

the Xbox version is now out of production but it is available on PC as "Pirates! Live the Life".

the game has been around in one form or other for over 20 years but the latest incarnation is really good.

When a game comes with tools specifically designed with the intent of allowing users to create their own stories (like NWN), it probably results in them depending somewhat on mods.

Although I didn't actually play too many mods for NWN.  I played Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher and that was about it.  No PW either.

Well, I didn't really find many mods that I actually consider worth playing save a few. If it weren't for the toolset allowing me to mess around with it and make my own mods and I had to depend on other people's to entertain me, NWN would have ended up a major disappointment. On the other hand, NWN2 is currently my most anticipated game precisely for said toolset. Gotta let out all that pent-up sexual designer frustration.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

M.U.L.E.

You play the role of a space colonist. Great RPG.

I agree with Vol in regards to Bloodlines. It's a great game. The best Troika developed.

I also like Arcanum.

ToEE? *shrug* How hard up are you? Actually, ToEE is a good game once you get past the mind number travel, bad or non-existent dialogue, the ridiculous features that purposely implemented, and the terrible "features" that would have been called "bugs" by a different developer.

I also suggest the old SSI Gold Box games. In particular, my favorite is the first in the series although I did like the Dragonlance game. Anything that can make Dragonlance enjoyable must have some real talent behind it.

Might and Magic 6 and 7 are wonderful games. It's tough to get them to run on new hardware, but it can be done.

SunDog, if you can find it for the PC, is a great old game. It was out for the Atari... what the hell was the name of that system? Anyhow, the Atari they put up against the Amiga.

As far as NWN mods go, I've played three, but I didn't enjoy them. In fact, I played the remake of the Pool of Radience (Gold box, not PoR2) and even that one was boring for me. I have yet to download a HL2 mod. I might, I suppose, but it's not an RPG anyhow. Not like M.U.L.E.

Ooo. Ooo. Try Zork. There's a great scene where you fight a troll. You also fight a thief. Awsome game, Zork.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Rome:Total War

Yes, I can.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

If NWN2 wasn't so close, the two expansions of NWN1 (SoU and HotU) are worth playing.  Especially the latter.

I thought HotU was superb.

I resently loaned both SoU and HotU from a friend and SoU was as bad as OC. HotU was better, but it suffered from too much epicness.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

"I don't judge Baldur's Gate based on Dark Side of the Sword Coast and I will not judge Neverwinter Nights on Dreamcatcher or Tortured Heart. It doesn't matter to me if the game comes with a Tool set or not. I will not judge Knights of the Old Republic 1 or 2 based on their mods, nor Morrowind or Oblivion on their mods. Mods are mods. They are nice additions that give a game a bit of longevity but that is all."

To comapre NWN mods to BG mods is ridiculous. Modding, and the toolset has *always* been a big part of the NWN game. It was part of the package, and it was hyped even more than the OC. In fact, BIo wouldn't have bothered to have included the OC if it wasn't for the whiny BG fans (including me) who begged for a full fledge epic campaign which is why the OC was more or less made in a year. The funny thing, as far from perfect as the OC is, it beats most CRPGs including and espciially the ES series. There's a big difference between MW/ES and NWN because the ES toolset is an after though; it's thrown in as a bonous/download. NWN is very much about the whole thing.

"I give the total package of the NWN 1 a grade of C and with the improvements of the expansions it inches up to a B."

Says the one who says he hates the OC yet hasplayed 3+ times (more than me), has bought both expansions, bought all the PMs (don't deny that you haven't scooped up or will scoop up ID), and has played it a lot. Just admit you like the game a lot as your actions suggest you do.

Also, the reason why NWN2 is so awesome to me is that even after 4 years, it is still my most played game.

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Says the one who says he hates the OC yet hasplayed 3+ times

We have to remember that Hades has played infinity engine based games each about 30 or 40 times. Compared to that your argument doesn

Good thread! I'm just about ready to uninstall this Oblivion crap off my HD and was going to ask suggestions on what I should try next.

Wizardry 8 - I've actually heard lots of good things about this game and since I enjoyed the Might & Magic series(except IX) I might have to check this one out.

Neverwinter Nights - I've only played a Sorcerer to 10 in the OC and while I don't mind the OC's story I absolutely hate the interface and camera. The radial menu sucks and "click to move" with the crappy camera makes controlling your character frustrating. If NWN2 controls anything likes this then I'm probably going to pass. Probably the only reason I would suffer through playing this is if the story continues in the second game.

Ones I would recommend....

Planescape Torment - Great story! Easily in my top 5 rpg's.

Might & Magic VI & VII - I second Eldar on these 2 games. Good stories and an excellent mix of fantasy/sci-fi.

Heroes of Might & Magic V - if you enjoyed the previous installments in the series then pick this one up.

Edited by Setzer

Probably the only reason I would suffer through playing this is if the story continues in the second game.

Time travelling lizards of doom with a vengence!!! Awesome. :D

Btw, no radial menu in NWN 2.

Just bear in mind that Wizzie8 is very combat-intense, some of which can become quite tedious when there are too many underpowered opponents and you have to wait for all of them to make their move. Otherwise, very fun and challenging combat system. I love the 'personality' system.

Though, actually, I tried to reinstall it at some point, but it doesn't seem to work with WinXP.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)