Want a new CRPG.

tarna

"We have to remember that Hades has played infinity engine based games each about 30 or 40 times. Compared to that your argument doesn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Just bear in mind that Wizzie8 is very combat-intense, some of which can become quite tedious when there are too many underpowered opponents and you have to wait for all of them to make their move. Otherwise, very fun and challenging combat system. I love the 'personality' system.

Though, actually, I tried to reinstall it at some point, but it doesn't seem to work with WinXP.

I read a post earlier in this thread that mentions a combat mod of some sort? Anyways, if it doesn't play in XP then I can cross that one off.

First of all, any RPG fan needs to try the Gothic games...and I mean really try them. Yes the control scheme seems absolutely abysmal the first 20 minutes or so with the games which turns a lot of people off from them, but then it begins to become quite comfortable and difficult to imagine it being done any other way if you can hang in there. You have to play as the Nameless Hero; a bearded dude with a ponytail, but you can shape his personality through dialogue options and choices and the charcter is voiced well.

On mods: When reviewing a game, I don't think they should be taken into account, but if there are some great stand-alone; non enhancement mods like with Morrowind available for a game, then it may justifiably bump them up the recommendation ladder. However, the vast majority of NWN mods were wretched and a waste of time to even wade through. I thought the OC was fairly decent, as were the expansion OC's, but I'd still never recommend that game to someone in good faith.

I dunno, I haven't been following it really since I finished it so many years ago, so I have no idea which mods are good and whatnot.

In terms of XP, there should be a way to play it, I just didn't really look into it. But that's just me being lazy/awesome.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

The Shadows of Undenthingie-Hordes of the Underdark campaign/story was much more replayable than the original campaign, I found. Are there any user-created mods that had a better story or better characters than the OC?

Should Bioware get Kotor3, I fully expect Time-Travelling Lizards of Doom to be The True Sith .

Others have mentioned it, but I also liked Arcanum, and I think if you're nostalgic for Baldur's Gate, Arcanum could fill the hole. The magic/technology thing pleased some and infuriated others, but I loved the story and some the characters were good fun.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

if you liked iwd then we suggest fallout:tactics. truthfully, iwd and fo:tactics play real similar: they is both squad-based tactical combat games with little to nil role-playing involved... linear progression o' combats. fo:t were actually better balanced than were the original fallout game (which is saying very little,) and as you got complete control of your party you won't have to worry 'bout the abject stoopiditiy of your party mates. you can play fo:t in rt or in turns, and in either case combats is not overly difficult, but if you liked the iwds, then there is much reason to suspect you will like the first 2/3 of fo:t.

fo:t also can boast some of the best voice acting choices in a pc game since ps:t. say what you will 'bout interplay, but they gots quality voice actors... for the most part.

warning: the last 1/3 of fo:t is simply terrible. is just no other way to put it. that being said, most of the game is actually kinda fun... if you ain't one of those people that actually memorizes the Fallout Bible chapter and verse. deathclaws with fur? omfg!

jagged alliance 2 is also a fantastic little squad-based tactical combat game... but everybody mentions ja2.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"The Shadows of Undenthingie-Hordes of the Underdark campaign/story was much more replayable than the original campaign, I found."

SOU is overrated. Heck, I overrated it when it first camse. I think it's because the 1st chapter (other than the collect x items) was beyond awesome espicially role-playing wise. But, the inetrlude was just a pretty linear path. And, ch2 was just a ph@t lewt chase with some kewl ideas gone awry. It also has one of my top 3 worst bosses ever.

HOTU was really good. It's only negative, imo, being it's brand new defintion of 'ph@t lewt'.

Game over.

"First of all, any RPG fan needs to try the Gothic games...and I mean really try them."

I can't even remember if I have ever played G1. I have tried G2 for sure. And, it's boring. It's one of those few games that actually goes downhill from the start. Between the horrid controls, and the lack of movitation; I just had to ask myself 'is there a point to this?' Too bad too. It had some cool stuff. That said, unlike the ES series, G3 truly looks awesome and woth a try. :)

Just bear in mind that Wizzie8 is very combat-intense, some of which can become quite tedious when there are too many underpowered opponents and you have to wait for all of them to make their move. Otherwise, very fun and challenging combat system. I love the 'personality' system.

Though, actually, I tried to reinstall it at some point, but it doesn't seem to work with WinXP.

I read a post earlier in this thread that mentions a combat mod of some sort? Anyways, if it doesn't play in XP then I can cross that one off.

Yea I wouldn

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

If one were to beleive Hades; one would have to believe he thinks NWN OC is one of the worst games ever eyt he's played it 3+ times. It just seems beyond silly to claim to hate a game yet play it 3 times or more.

Sounds very Hades like to me. :)

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Yea I wouldn

"Anachronox: Lengthy JRPG-type for the PC. A bit old but still pretty and a lot of fun. Built with the Q3 engine if I remember correctly."

Incredibly boring and ugly game, really yawn-inspiring *yawn* the though alone *hum*. Compared to that even that subpar ROMD: Pool of Radiance II is exiting.

(Signatures: disabled) 

"Anachronox: Lengthy JRPG-type for the PC. A bit old but still pretty and a lot of fun. Built with the Q3 engine if I remember correctly."

Incredibly boring and ugly game, really yawn-inspiring *yawn* the though alone *hum*. Compared to that even that subpar ROMD: Pool of Radiance II is exiting.

Whatever. <_<

I enjoyed it, others have as well and she may also. She may also choose something else. Suggestions propose choices.

I didn't like the Divinity games too much. They were enjoyable but I never finished them because I got bored and went to a FPS or something. But she may like them alot, who knows and that's why I proposed them.

There are other RPGs out there that don't use the Infinity/Aurora engines.

:)

I liked Might & Magic 6 and 7 too, finished those a few times each.

And Wiz. 8, liked that one, but to me it was similar enough to the M &M series (but prettier) that I petered out on it before I finished. I bought it maybe half a year ago for $20...it's no longer on sale eh? And it ran on my XPPro just fine.

I'm one of the few who didn't like PS:Torment, but I think I was just burnt out on that rpg style/look after countless hours of BG and IWD.

As fun and pretty as Oblivion can be, I don't think Tarna would like it all that much, but that's just a guess.

I'll also second The Summoner, if you can still find it. It's a quirky strange little game, with a clunky interface but I was surprised how much I ended up enjoying it.

Like many, I haven't been very pleased overall with the current crop of crpg's...most fall into the been there done that category and you lose steam pretty fast, even if you kinda like it at first.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Whatever.  <_<

I enjoyed it, others have as well and she may also. She may also choose something else. Suggestions propose choices.

I didn't like the Divinity games too much. They were enjoyable but I never finished them because I got bored and went to a FPS or something. But she may like them alot, who knows and that's why I proposed them.

There are other RPGs out there that don't use the Infinity/Aurora engines.

:)

First, Arcanum is overrated. It's one of the last games I'd recommend. Hell, I wouldn't recommend it at all, I had to put it down after the first hour.

Second, Tarna is a he, a he named Scott, by the way. :lol:"

That'll teach ya to destroy my theories!

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

First, Arcanum is overrated. It's one of the last games I'd recommend. Hell, I wouldn't recommend it at all, I had to put it down after the first hour.

That'll teach ya to destroy my theories!

it had real potential but the combat and game balance just sucked.

(not to mention the protagonist is an uber-powerful pregen who is trying to figure out who he is.....ARRRRG).

that, more than the magictech, made it all but unplayable for me.

My Arcanum is collecting dust on a shelf. I installed it, played it for three hours, uninstalled it. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

No. You are wrong. Period. The PC is not a ' uberpowerful pregen' or even a 'pregen' nor is he/she even 'trying tof gure out who he/she is' nor 'do they have amnesia'.

The only thing close to that is the 'prphecy' that calls you the reincarnation of some fabled elf.

Not even close to PST like. If anything, it's closer to the BGs in terms of character background.