Who will win the console war?

Who will win the console war?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the console war?

• Sony's PS3
    • Microsoft's 360
    • Nintendo's Wii

Blu-ray, shoe-ray, HD-DVD, HIV. The console with the best game library wins.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Not if their competition makes a cheap copy called red ray. Red always beats blue. There's no evidence for it, but it's scientific fact.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Yeah. That blue ranger was a wuss.

Ya and he wore over-alls. Which made him look like a four year old.

Blu-Ray will win because it's catchy :(

But HD-DVD is even catchier.

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Blu-Ray will win because it's catchy :)

How about Blu-Egon or Blu-Peter? :(

*groan*

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Hi :)

I do not think that either one of them will win the console war.

As I see it each platform/console appeals to different targets group.

Xbox 360 appeals to a more mature audience that PS3 does. Typically PS3 will be bought by families, while Xbox 360 would be bought by

a bit more mature audience e.g. fathers, males over 25 or 30.

And Wii, is as understand is, a console for kids.

So each of these console have different strengths and weaknesses.

And each of them will be bought by different targets group.

bye

aries101

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

That's bull you know. Total bull.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Hi :x

Xbox 360 appeals to a more mature audience that PS3 does. Typically PS3 will be bought by families,  while Xbox 360 would be bought by

bye

aries101

Pretty ignorant statement all around... <_<

Hi :)

Xbox 360 appeals to a more mature audience that PS3 does. Typically PS3 will be bought by families,  while Xbox 360 would be bought by

bye

aries101

Pretty ignorant statement all around... <_<

QFT

Just going to point out that somtimes kids art has a storyline for adults and visa versa.. Also the 360 is probably the gameing machine of choice in america for those males between the ages of 16 and 25

byond 25 people are computer geeks and below that they usually have a ds.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The core PS3 version does not even have a HDMI connection that's required for Blu-Ray playback.

No. HDMI is not required for HD playback. Hence the last 4 years of HD tvs not having HDMI. The core system will be capable of HD.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

No. HDMI is not required for HD playback. Hence the last 4 years of HD tvs not having HDMI. The core system will be capable of HD.

Do some research on Blu-Ray, you'll notice it requires a HDMI connection for HD playback.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4760553.stm

The decision to offer a model without HDMI has raised concerns about the high-definition compatibility of the PS3.

Mr Harrison shrugged off these fears, insisting that the both models would offer full HD output.

"What we should be clear about is that the functionality is identical in both machines," he told the BBC News website. "There is no difference in what the machine does."

"It's just that the technical method of extracting audio and video from the devices is slightly different," said Mr Harrison, who heads up Sony Computer Entertainment worldwide studios.

If it couldn't play back HD from the blu-ray discs without HDMI how would it be able to display HD at all since all the games will be on blu-ray discs?

EDIT: So far what I've gathered, is that Blu-Ray is playable without HDMI, just not at 1080p, which most HDTVs don't even support. You can still play it at 720p or 1080i.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

You need HDMI to enable the HDCP copy protection. The consistent thing I've heard about Blu Ray (and a reason why the movie studios love it) is that it has very strict copy protection. With out HDMI the Blu-Ray movie picture will be "downconverted" to something like 540p. While this is greater than what is capable on current gen DVD it still falls far short of BR' capabilities.

So no HDMI on the lite PS3 is odd considering you need it to to get true HD output. If you can't view the games or movies in HD then what is exactly is the point of making customers pay extra for a BR drive?

You need HDMI to enable the HDCP copy protection. The consistent thing I've heard about Blu Ray (and a reason why the movie studios love it) is that it has very strict copy protection. With out HDMI the Blu-Ray movie picture will be "downconverted" to something like 540p. While this is greater than what is capable on current gen DVD it still falls far short of BR' capabilities.

So no HDMI on the lite PS3 is odd considering you need it to to get true HD output. If you can't view the games or movies in HD then what is exactly is the point of making customers pay extra for a BR drive?

Not quite true. There is a function called ICT built into the Blu-Ray standard, that is able to down convert the audio/video if it is passing through an un-encrypted port, but most movie companies has opted not to make use of that function. If it is used, the rules state that it has to be clearly visible on the package that the movie uses the ICT function.

Also, I read that the reason why the Blu-Ray players are so expensive is that it takes quite some computational power to decode all the data from the disc. That should be no problem for the Playstation 3 as the CELL is perfectly capable of decoding the data in real time and then some. Not having to include any dedicated decoding hardware might mean that the Playstation 3 gets a faster Blu-Ray player than expected. The article I read mentioned the possibility of a 4x Blu-Ray player!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You don't need HDMI, HDCP is also available in DVI, though I'm not sure if thats on the PS3 or not.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The decision to offer a model without HDMI has raised concerns about the high-definition compatibility of the PS3.

Mr Harrison shrugged off these fears, insisting that the both models would offer full HD output.

"What we should be clear about is that the functionality is identical in both machines," he told the BBC News website. "There is no difference in what the machine does."

"It's just that the technical method of extracting audio and video from the devices is slightly different," said Mr Harrison, who heads up Sony Computer Entertainment worldwide studios.

If it couldn't play back HD from the blu-ray discs without HDMI how would it be able to display HD at all since all the games will be on blu-ray discs?

EDIT: So far what I've gathered, is that Blu-Ray is playable without HDMI, just not at 1080p, which most HDTVs don't even support. You can still play it at 720p or 1080i.

Sony has said things regarding this console and previous consoles that haven't come true. The simple fact of the matter is without a HDMI/DVI-D connection, Blu Ray movie playback is strickly limited to standard resolution (480), or perhaps even no playback at all (the rarest of condidtions). To my understanding, the core PS3 model includes neither of those, since the only AV outputs on the machine are composite, S-Video, component and HDMI ("premium" only).

They will likely all be winners at what they choose to do best.

Why in the world would anyone think there was only going to be one winner?

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.