Who will win the console war?

Who will win the console war?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the console war?

• Sony's PS3
    • Microsoft's 360
    • Nintendo's Wii

Well E3 is over and most people have seen the new systems and what they can do so I'm interested to see what other people think.

Here are my thoughts:

I pretty much predict it to stay the same with Sony on top, Microsoft right behind, and Nintendo in third although not by as much as they were. The only possible change I could see is Microsoft taking over first in the market but I'm not sure that will happen.

With a strong line up of games like Halo 3, Gears of War, Mass Effect, and others not to mention getting Grand Theft Auto 4 one of Sony's system selling games it looks like their finally ready to challenge the top dog. They also have a couple more advantages including being almost a hundred dollars cheaper then the PS3 and almost a year a head of them producing games for it.

The only two things keeping the PS3 on top I believe is that it also has a great game line up with such titles as Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Killzone PS3, and Assassins Creed a game which I believe could be a big hit. Then there's the fact that Sony has a huge and very loyal fan base in Japan a fan base that doesn't like the more American type games Microsoft puts out. A fan base loyal because the system was born and breed in Japan and no matter what anyone says is made to please that market not ours.

As for the Wii I've heard so much out of E3 about how everyone liked the games and how easy it was to use their controller but for how long would you still like it? I admit from what they said it would seem like fun to pick up the Wii and play with it for an hour or so but after that I have a feeling I'd get tired of it quick. Their whole thing this year is to get new gamers by making a simpler control system to attract the average person. But what about the hardcore gamers that after a while of playing with this simpler control system are going to get tiered of the lack of control?

As for the games well Nintendo has once again done what they do best and made a kiddy sweep with most the games I've seen being pretty G rated just like the kiddy cube. (I actually laughed when I heard some one from Nintendo say they were making Sonic the Hedge Hog more adult oriented) But even though the games are still for kids and the controller couldn't handle half the control options of a PS3 or a 360 game it will still make a huge leap. A huge leap because of the fact that it does have simpler controllers and will attract new gamers just not as many as Nintendo thinks it will. I mean no matter what they say I just can't see an eighty year old woman playing a video game!

Anyway that's what I think so lets hear what everyone else says!

If you would have asked me this prior to E3, my answer would have been PS3. Now, im not so sure. Once Lost Planet hits i am going to purchase a 360. After viewing all the movies and clips, the Wii is now a day one buy for me. The PS3.. well, hopefully things get rolling at TGS.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

It's really hard to tell at this point... I think it's safe to say Nintendo Wii had the most surprises and innovation. I however still believe the Wii to be nothing more then a Gamecube with a neat little gimmick.

Xbox 360 is everything I expected it to be. It will provide nothing that I'm not already getting on my PC.

Playstation 3 is nothing new. Just more of the same. That's what I wanted though, which is probably why it will be the only console I buy.

Yeah, it sure feels like Microsoft has done a lot of things right with this new generation of Xbox. I don't particularly like it myself (tried it early, got tired of it early) but I can see how they appeal to a lot of consumers out there. They seem to have priced it just about right (and the price will fall soon, probably close to the Playstation 3 launch), the third party developer support is outstanding and they've got a nice mix of game genres coming up in the future. I'm also interested in the Live Arcade function, if it becomes as good as they've made it sound. Nothing new, but a good solid machine with good games.

The Playstation 3 still sounds like the most powerful machine out there, and I almost wet my pants when I saw Assassin's Creed (most interesting game from E3 2006 for me). Gran Turismo HD was also quite impressive (1920x1080 progressive for teh win!!), but the price of the system! Horrible! Also, Playstation 3 is too much like the Xbox 360; lots of eye-candy but nothing really new or groundbreaking. The problem with Playstation 3 is third party developer support. I know they've shipped thousands of SDK's already, but I could bet my backside virginity on 75% or more of them being JRPG's/anime games of some kind. It's been fun reading comments from the PS3 developers though. They seem to be surprised at how "easy" it is to write code for the CELL (8 cores!). Maybe Sony has succeeded in making the SDK's user friendly this time around..? Would love to hear what the Obsidian guys has to say about this, but the probability of that happening is.. pretty slim.

I've read a lot about Wii now after the E3 is gone, and I'm worried about the controller. There have been some less than impressed reviewers out there, and I suspect that the controller might not be as good as I would have hoped (and Nintendo would have needed) it to be. Also, the graphics of the Wii are horribly underwhelming. I mean, sure, they look ok now, but imagine a year from now.. It just won't hold up to the big boys, and I'm not even a graphics whore usually. I love Nintendo's attitude and I love their home-grown games, but seriously: LOOSE THE KIDDIE STAMP ALREADY. Right now it feels like the Wii has lost already, and it hasn't even been released yet. Despite the controller.

To sum it up: Microsoft and Sony will battle it out for the first spot, with Microsoft coming out the strongest, but with a slim margin. Nintendo might grow some (even a lot) but I don't see them reaching Sony or Microsoft.

I hope I'm wrong, which I probably am.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Microsoft is the biggest, meanest mofo in the hood.

Sony has been having major financial problems as of late and the PS3

Nintendo isnt really trying to compete in the nextgen war anyway

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That's ebcause they've given up. I mean seriously, let's take a look at the common Nintento perception and facts:

1. They're kiddified. And, don't point out the exception to the rule. That's exactly what they are. This is bad in an age where the average gamer is an adult. I used to love Mario.... when I was a kid.

2. Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. That's just dumb. No one I've heard outside of the net actually cares for the name. In fact, they are SHOCKED that Nintento would be stupid enough for such a thing.

3. Their dumb controller which as much as they claim it is far from 'innovative', and if that's the only 'innovation' they gots theys ares screweds.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well E3 is over and most people have seen the new systems and what they can do so I'm interested to see what other people think.

Here are my thoughts:

I pretty much predict it to stay the same with Sony on top, Microsoft right behind, and Nintendo in third although not by as much as they were. The only possible change I could see is Microsoft taking over first in the market but I'm not sure that will happen.

With a strong line up of games like Halo 3, Gears of War, Mass Effect, and others not to mention getting Grand Theft Auto 4 one of Sony's system selling games it looks like their finally ready to challenge the top dog. They also have a couple more advantages including being almost a hundred dollars cheaper then the PS3 and almost a year a head of them producing games for it.

The only two things keeping the PS3 on top I believe is that it also has a great game line up with such titles as Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Killzone PS3, and Assassins Creed a game which I believe could be a big hit. Then there's the fact that Sony has a huge and very loyal fan base in Japan a fan base that doesn't like the more American type games Microsoft puts out. A fan base loyal because the system was born and breed in Japan and no matter what anyone says is made to please that market not ours.

As for the Wii I've heard so much out of E3 about how everyone liked the games and how easy it was to use their controller but for how long would you still like it? I admit from what they said it would seem like fun to pick up the Wii and play with it for an hour or so but after that I have a feeling I'd get tired of it quick. Their whole thing this year is to get new gamers by making a simpler control system to attract the average person. But what about the hardcore gamers that after a while of playing with this simpler control system are going to get tiered of the lack of control?

As for the games well Nintendo has once again done what they do best and made a kiddy sweep with most the games I've seen being pretty G rated just like the kiddy cube. (I actually laughed when I heard some one from Nintendo say they were making Sonic the Hedge Hog more adult oriented) But even though the games are still for kids and the controller couldn't handle half the control options of a PS3 or a 360 game it will still make a huge leap. A huge leap because of the fact that it does have simpler controllers and will attract new gamers just not as many as Nintendo thinks it will. I mean no matter what they say I just can't see an eighty year old woman playing a video game!

Anyway that's what I think so lets hear what everyone else says!

Who will sell the most consoles(This Gen, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii)? It'll be a tie between Sony and Microsoft.

Who will make the most money(This Gen, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii)? Nintendo.

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Current generation (XBox:PS2) market share: 30%:50%

Next generation will start with the developers building from this platform ... if the Playstation 3 is okay, it will keep its lead. If Sony drops the ball, then Microsoft will gladly take the pole position from them.

As has been said numerous times, the games is what matters to me.

Having said that, though, that won't be the critical point for the consoles: that will be set-top intergration. If the XBox 360 proves to be a better medium between the internet and the tv, then Sony's hopes of riding the Blu-ray tsunami to another generation of market domination will be dashed.

So far, the Xbox 360 is a more than adequate tv set-top box: it even runs a cut-down version of Windows, for complete compatibility with the home IT. Sony needs to get a lot of people to buy a PS3 quickly, or they may be left with another Betamax.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Nintendo Wii.

X-Box is just a glorified PC and with so many people buying Playstations you'll just have to go round to your mates to play one.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Nintendo Wii.

X-Box is just a glorified PC and with so many people buying Playstations you'll just have to go round to your mates to play one.

Well actually no one has bought a PS3...

:Whispers: It's not out yet...

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Looks like I'll be getting a 360 this time around...for Halo 3, GoW, ME, and a few other titles, but I still have a sneaking suspicion that Sony will come away with the win in terms of units sold.

Nintendo, on the other hand, will actually be a contender this time...and as was said a few posts up, they'll make the most money.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Nintendo Wii.

Don't you hate it when someone corrects you because they can't read. /sigh

'so many people buying Playstations', as in people have decided on the release they will go out and buy it.

Geez, thicko :p

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Nintendo Wii.

Don't you hate it when someone corrects you because they can't read. /sigh

'so many people buying Playstations', as in people have decided on the release they will go out and buy it.

Geez, thicko :lol:

Well genius how do you know "so many people" will buy a PS3? Don't base your conclusion on something that isn't known.

Edited by Craigboy2

I think the market is currently big enough, and diverse enough, to support all three consoles. Internationally, I think the PS3 will probably sell more units. But in the US, I see the 360 staying competitive. The Wii really markets to a different demographic. So my answer is all three will continue to grow.