Who will win the console war?

Who will win the console war?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the console war?

• Sony's PS3
    • Microsoft's 360
    • Nintendo's Wii

Those who are enjoying Oblivion *puke* on it disagree. :)

That's the problem, Oblivion is its "killer app" right now and it's not even console exclusive.

yup

That's one of the Xbox/360's biggest problems, it's mostly competing with PC market... thus M$ is splitting it's focus between two similar platforms.

Killer app?!?! If Oblivion is the 360's killer app with it's stuttering framerates, multitude of bugs, and shallow no choice gameplay, then the 360 is doomed.

DOOMED I TELL YOU!

:ph34r:

Edited by Jast

yup

That's one of the Xbox/360's biggest problems, it's mostly competing with PC market... thus M$ is splitting it's focus between two similar platforms.

I've spent about an hour total playing Oblivion, so not an expert, it seems like it might be a fun game but I wouldn't call it a classic or anything. So, when I say it's the "killer app", I mean it as it's the best they got right now in terms of public perception in terms of quality and gaming reviews.

Most of the other 360 "killer apps" fizzled:

Perfect Dark 0

The Outfit

Project Gotham Racing 2

Dead or Alive 4

Kameo Elements of Power

Only Fight Night 360 seemed to be well received

Edited by kumquatq3

That's the problem, Oblivion is its "killer app" right now and it's not even console exclusive.

yup

I like the apparent progress toward combining consoles and computers. The 360 has: a possible interface with a Windows-running computer, a hard-drive, a few USB ports, and online capability within Xbox-live. If only it could run linux (as the PS3 supposedly can) or other OS's.

It just goes to show that no one know's what American gamers will like if this poll had been done in Japan it would have been very different.

Yeah, cause this poll was conducted in America..

I think it will be PS3/XB360 neck and neck while the Revolution kicks back in a comfortable position in 3rd. Not as big of a seller, but making more money because of its lower production cost. The high cost of the PS3 will lower its sales numbers so it doesn't blast ahead of the other two by 10 or 20 million like it did last gen, that combined with its later release should put MS and Sony side by side. And judging by the games I'm seeing this gen, thats how it should be. The number of good games for the PS2 far outshined the Xbox last gen, but they look about equal this time.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I like the apparent progress toward combining consoles and computers. The 360 has: a possible interface with a Windows-running computer, a hard-drive, a few USB ports, and online capability within Xbox-live. If only it could run linux (as the PS3 supposedly can) or other OS's.

See, I don't really understand that. With each release, consoles(with the possible exception of the Wii) seem to grow closer and closer to becoming plain 'ol PCs and then people freak out and act like it's a big deal or notable advancement.

Just to toss out a few examples:

The hub-bub over HDTV ready consoles. Hello? High resolutions have already been achieved with monitors.

The Live! marketplace, specifically the small games from independent developers. Yeah, there are already plenty of those on the web folks, free ones at that. It just takes typing a keyword or two in Google.

MP3/CD player capability

Crossfire style buddy lists

Hard-drives - 'nuff said

Eventually the home PC and the entertainment system will be completely combined. I know we have them now, but not enough people make use of them. It is still a long ways off, because there is no viable replacement for the keyboard. My guess is that once voice recognition software is perfected, you will not need to type everything and we will have less reason to sit at a desk.

Eventually the home PC and the entertainment system will be completely combined.  I know we have them now, but not enough people make use of them.  It is still a long ways off, because there is no viable replacement for the keyboard.  My guess is that once voice recognition software is perfected, you will not need to type everything and we will have less reason to sit at a desk.

My other computer is set up as my entertainment center. I use it to watch DVD movies, play music, do recordings and other things.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Well for myself, I'll get a PS3. Have a PC and PS2, and it's worked out just fine, gaming-wise.

Don't have an XBox, don't have a 360. For the XBox, there was only a single game released as an XBox-only title that I had any desire to play, and that's soon to be released on the PC, so the XBox would have been pointless for me to spend money on (and I heard Jade Empire was really short, so it may be a game that I'll only get if it's not the full $50).

I don't know exactly what's coming out for the 360, but if the games are very similar to the XBox games, they'll be things I don't have any desire to play, while I know there'll be stuff on the PS3 I want to play.

what people fail to realize (when they compare Xbox to PS2) is that the Xbox came out of nowhere and did, in fact, get an awful lot of market share and leap-frogged the PS2 in terms of power.

the 360 was supposed to have a high-end "Xbox PC" version but that plan was shelved . That's right, MS is going to let Sony stick its neck out and then they are going to one-up them with that Xbox PC. I really think so. The PS3 will already be in short supply (due to costs) and the new Xbox will even undercut that in terms of price.

what MS is doing right this time is focusing on titles. they want to keep the FPS market (that they share with PC format) but also branch out into other areas such as RPGs and have lined up some exclusive titles in those areas (Mass Effect, the Mistwalker games, and others).

but also branch out into other areas such as RPGs and have lined up some exclusive titles in those areas (Mass Effect, the Mistwalker games, and others).

A couple of RPG titles made by a team with very little experience are not going to save the Xbox 360 in Japan.

So that leaves the western front were Sony has already established a rather large fanbase.

but also branch out into other areas such as RPGs and have lined up some exclusive titles in those areas (Mass Effect, the Mistwalker games, and others).

A couple of RPG titles made by a team with very little experience are not going to save the Xbox 360 in Japan.

So that leaves the western front were Sony has already established a rather large fanbase.

Agreed.

I've read that the Playstation 3 will somehow be Linux based. I wonder how that is going to work? Will they let users loose on their system? Sounds highly unlikely, or the copy protection would be cracked within weeks. What's the point of having a Linux system if you're not allowed to tamper with it though? It it only because they want to avoid going through the troubles of writing an OS for the Playstation 3 by themselves? Is it to simplify things developers? If that's the case, why mention it to end-users? I would love to get my hands on a Playstation 3 right now.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I've read that the Playstation 3 will somehow be Linux based. I wonder how that is going to work? Will they let users loose on their system? Sounds highly unlikely, or the copy protection would be cracked within weeks. What's the point of having a Linux system if you're not allowed to tamper with it though? It it only because they want to avoid going through the troubles of writing an OS for the Playstation 3 by themselves? Is it to simplify things developers? If that's the case, why mention it to end-users? I would love to get my hands on a Playstation 3 right now.

...or because Ken Kutaragi is anti-microsoft by sheer principle(or so i've heard).

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It's hard to tell right now... the 360's bellyfloped so far because of a mixture of necessity of addons, very VERY few games, and the fact it was a dreamcast.

Ps3 will probably continue to dominate (but not as much by virtue of it's price) with the Wii sitting in the middle.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It's hard to tell right now... the 360's bellyfloped so far because of a mixture of necessity of addons, very VERY few games, and the fact it was a dreamcast.

Ps3 will probably continue to dominate (but not as much by virtue of it's price) with the Wii sitting in the middle.

Yes the 360 is bearly selling just like the Dreamcast :thumbsup: (I'm joking, if you think the 360 has "bellyfloped" than you're a fool).

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Whereas the original Playstation was lying dormant for millions of years before Sony revealed it to us.

ha, I think you know what I mean. for a U.S. company to even attempt to break into a market that had Nintendo, Sega, and Sony as the only real competitors was a huge gamble. And it was more or less successful.

now comes the knife fight.

From a standpoint of pure self-interest, I want Microsoft to fail miserably in the console wars. Not because I have an inherent dislike of MS or the system, but I'm tired of their blatant destruction of the PC as a viable gaming platform to make a buck. Outside of their earlier role in it, they should just keep their filthy mitts out of the gaming industry.

From a standpoint of pure self-interest, I want Microsoft to fail miserably in the console wars.  Not because I have an inherent dislike of MS or the system, but I'm tired of their blatant destruction of the PC as a viable gaming platform to make a buck.  Outside of their earlier role in it, they should just keep their filthy mitts out of the gaming industry.

I think MMOs have killed the cRPG. Consoles have not. If anything, the KOTOR games show you can have a true RPG experience on console.

Whereas the original Playstation was lying dormant for millions of years before Sony revealed it to us.

ha, I think you know what I mean. for a U.S. company to even attempt to break into a market that had Nintendo, Sega, and Sony as the only real competitors was a huge gamble. And it was more or less successful.

now comes the knife fight.

I see what you mean. Also, Sony got a lot of support from developers who were just plain sick with Nintendo's methods.