The good ol' times...

ramza

Here's a nice article:

http://www.theodicyonline.com/carrion/2006...nescape_to.html

The funny part is that I believe exactly the same. That is why I wish for Jefferson to be reborn in some kind of way. Producers won't make CRPGs similar to BG in the future. Our last hopes lie within BIO and Obsidian.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Don't get me wrong... the IE was old and it was necessary to move on to newer technologies. However, what I miss is the lack of interesting plots in RPGs, as well as the depth of interacivity with NPCs (both joinable and not joinable). I will never feel again the sense of immersion I felt when playing BG2.

Well, we still have NWN and KOTOR... It's better than nothing at all!

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Well, we still have NWN and KOTOR... It's better than nothing at all!

Well, there're better games out there.

I don't feel the desire to moan around about the lack of quality games.

Just playing Psychonauts right now and I'm loving it. Then I'll indulge Grim Fandango, Dreamfall, can look forward to DA, Bioshock, Gothic3, NWN2, that JunctionPoint thingy, and lots more.... What the heck? Lack of quality games? No. No more and no less than back to the "good ol' times" I guess.

Oh and you can always avoid the ****ty ones. It's just a win-win situation, at least to me.

I will never feel again the sense of immersion I felt when playing BG2.

What you're failing to take into consideration is the fact that you are changing too. When you first played those old IE games you had not experienced anything like it before. That exhilarating feeling is bound to disappear after a few similar games.

I don't think there's anything missing in today's games, what you're missing is instead that feeling, which you won't feel again until something new that suits you as well as the IE games did back then comes along.

Or maybe you've just gotten older and now lack the ability to become as excited over a computer game anymore? One of the curses of maturing.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

A pretty funny article. I agree that I haven't had the awe in any recent games that I felt in BG2 and PS:T, but I'm also an optimistic, I believe I'll get that feeling again in a new game. Hopefully it's NWN2 or Gothic III. We'll see...

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

As mkreku said.

There is a tendancy to look back on the games through rose coloured glasses of nostalgia.

Personally I can think of a lot of games I've played which are equal to, or better than those "old classics".

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I, for one, am glad the genre is moving forward. I prefer 3-d sprites and atmosphere over 2-d and I have time for 20-30 hour story arcs, not 80 hour ones.

As another poster said, the 2-d games (Ultima IV and into the IE games) had the advantage of being first and having a captive market.

It looks like we are seeing something of a rebirth of the adventure game. That should provide us with some good stories if the RPGs do not.

Change is good...sometimes, but it doesn't always mean things are changing for the better.

Fallout, BG2, and PS: T all upped the depth of role-playing possibilities and non-linear story interaction in a video game. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to catch on fast enough so the genre reverted back to the older, simpler ways. Modern RPGs resemble action games more than they do role-playing games. I guess you could consider that "change", but not progress, which is what is important in my book.

I prefer change :)

As long as that change is for the better and not for the worse. Change for the sake of change is never good.

I wouldn't say never. "Sometimes" fits better in there.

As for the original topic, since I never really got into the older IE games...and the stories don't even seem that good to me...I don't really have the capacity nor the inclination to miss them. The market's moving forward and adapting to consumer needs (Most consumers...not those of us capable of sitting around for hours and hours and hours to finish a 60+ hour story arch.).

There's been some great, if flawed, titles so far, the KotOR series, the NWNs (Yes, 2 can and will be excellent. I have every confidence in Obsidian to deliver a quality product.), the TES series, Bloodlines, JRPGs, and a others.

The future actually looks pretty bright, from where I'm sitting...

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

...I always luvs ta hear the ol' "rose-colored glasses" arguement when peoples bring up classics like PS:T an' how, years later, no cRPGs since match up ta it still...what a load o' bullshyte; still...as was mentioned already, change can be a good thing, but wit'out progress ta back it up, it be useless an' actually destructive ta the industry...there'll always be newer an' better eye candy, but the lack o' actual content in newer games be why peoples like meself an' others, ta this day, still mention the ol' classics wit' a tear in our eye an' an ache in our collective hearts...that be why theys still talked of an' used as the Measurin' Sticks o' the Industry, peoples; once greatness be achieved, anythin' less be a grand step in the wrong direction... :)

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

The good old days of computer games for me is Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and a few others. These were some of the great games I played when I bought my first computer.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

The real reason, why those old games were great and these new games are crap, is brothels. Give use back brothers, gawddamnit! But noo... in these modern times women have forgotten their proper place between fist and kichen and have started to play RPG games. This is the result when developers start to make pretty little games for pretty little girls! Give us back the time when men were men and RPGs were RPGs!

MASCULINE MANLY POWAAH!

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

The real reason, why those old games were great and these new games are crap, is brothels. Give use back brothers, gawddamnit! But noo... in these modern times women have forgotten their proper place between fist and kichen and have started to play RPG games. This is the result when developers start to make pretty little games for pretty little girls! Give us back the time when men were men and RPGs were RPGs!

MASCULINE MANLY POWAAH!

Right on! Thats what The Sims are for!

Oh and Gothic 2 has a fully working Brothel. :D

I have a friend who is a fan of action and driving games. He played Torment in 2005 and was blown away by it, no rose-colored glasses here. :)

While I think the game is a classic, but it is somewhat a good thing that they won't be done again. Otherwise they will all become too ordinary. Good old times are over.