NWN2 only 20 hours long?

Meshugger

"Nor if BIO knew before what a failure JE would become..."

Microsoft, the publisher of JE, disagrees with your false assessment.

"Being friends with an other dev doesn't help you with the publishers."

Sur eit does. You don't think past ties with Bioware helped Obsidian land NWN2 and KOTOR2? I hope not as that would be a joke. It also helped that the Obsidian founders are't newbies and know their way away around the industry.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

sidenote:

might be a bit misleading to call the yavin iv material a bonus planet. you got 1 hallway and 1 room and a handful of new characters with very limited dialogues. heck, Gromnir can calls his house Planet Crabgrass, but we doubts the US govt or united nations would be willing to recognize our staus as a Planetary Sovereign... but we gots more square footage than does yavin iv.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Why the freak is everybody referring to their own bloody selves as 'we'? Is this some kind of Gromnir holiday?

every day is a Gromnir holiday.

in light of the resurfacing of HoW recollections people is no doubt recalling just how much o' a stinker we were following the release of that game... cause 'nuff right there for celebration.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You've got to admit that attitude about consoles is very prevalent on these boards even from people who have little to no experience with consoles.

I have some experience with games that have been hindranced and sometimes severly handicapped because of the Xbox, which in itself is enough to make me sneer at those devices...

- consoles steal games from the PC with exclusives

- consoles make you buy a 400$ toy just to play games on

- console-to-PC ports

- console games are more expensive for no reason

- its impossible to make software for a console without paying big $$$ to MS or Sony

..and the list goes on and on ad infinitum

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Microsoft, the publisher of JE, disagrees with your false assessment.

I would ask you to reread "Jade Empire is a Total Financial Failure...and I mean beyond your opening post...

Sure it does. You don't think past ties with Bioware helped Obsidian land NWN2 and KOTOR2? I hope not as that would be a joke. It also helped that the Obsidian founders are't newbies and know their way away around the industry.

They got the job... yes. But the same time? Threatment? Support? Not a chance... I was more talking about the way Publishers go around with Devs than 'giving them projects'...

And sure, they ain't newbies, but games like PS:T, while giving them a rep of making excellent compelling games, didn't gave them a "bestseller creator" rep...

might be a bit misleading to call the yavin iv material a bonus planet.  you got 1 hallway and 1 room and a handful of new characters with very limited dialogues.  heck, Gromnir can calls his house Planet Crabgrass, but we doubts the US govt or united nations would be willing to recognize our staus as a Planetary Sovereign... but  we gots more square footage than does yavin iv.

Fact is BioWare was allowed to ship in additional content, as small as it may be, while others could not... the legimit way of the upgrader/site atleast...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

bio had time 'tween and twixt release of xbox and pc version... lots of time. obsidian were struggling to cut content as they had their release date moved up by a number of months. never did get a reason for why the kotor2 release date got changed, but the situations were obviously different. you wanna say with any certainty that the reason bio got more time is 'cause the kanadians is so powerful and obsidian is so weak? is possible. seems as much of a conspiracy theory kinda thing as Gromnir's guess as to ferret jumping ship from nwn2... pure speculation.

btw, the material bio added were additional material. obsidian woulda' wanted to add material that had to be cut 'cause of change in release date... would be sorta like lucas admiting that they had a premature release of the game.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

A true gem. Every day is Gromnir day. Huzzah! In celebration, it's time to have some steak and sing Gromnir Carols.

Oh yeah, I say we discuss the length of the game based on a twice translated statement attributed to Feargus. Better yet, is it too late to add quality content to the game? If not, then go get 'em, Gromnir. I'll put up a Gromnir tree if you do.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

There was also a 3 month difference between North American X-Box release and X-box and PC wordwide release...

Something like what happened with DX:IW...

Wait, isn't that about the same time difference between the Kotor1 X-box and PC releases :rolleyes:"

btw, the material bio added were additional material. obsidian woulda' wanted to add material that had to be cut 'cause of change in release date... would be sorta like lucas admiting that they had a premature release of the game.

And if they added in the droid-factory for example why couldn't they just also call it "added content"... NOBODY knew it was cut at that time; we figured that out from the ingame files that where left. We would have never figured that out...

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

"would ask you to reread "Jade Empire is a Total Financial Failure...and I mean beyond your opening post..."

I took part in it so I already it. There was no proof that it was a finaincail failure to the only people who matter - BIO and MS. More than once they have stated quite clearly that they are more than happy with JE's performance.

The only ones who claim JE was a 'financial failure' ar ethose who have a hate on for BIO or for some reason expected it to sell as much as NWN or KOTOR or BG.

"They got the job... yes. But the same time? Threatment? Support? Not a chance... I was more talking about the way Publishers go around with Devs than 'giving them projects'...

And sure, they ain't newbies, but games like PS:T, while giving them a rep of making excellent compelling games, didn't gave them a "bestseller creator" rep..."

Before Interplay's crash they had some darn good successes for over 10 years.

"obsidian were struggling to cut content as they had their release date moved up by a number of months. never did get a reason for why the kotor2 release date got changed, but the situations were obviously different"

KOTOR2 was originally scheduled for a Christmas release then was pushed back to February than the x-box was deemed 'finish' by the PTB and was released on schedule at Christmas time and the PC version at the pushed back date of February. I don';t get where people get this diea that somehow the game was moved up.

The game was no doubt hurried; but thee was no lost dev time. Christmas was always the goal from all the signals.

Edited by Volourn

I have no idea if the 20 hours is confirmed as I am not going to read 29 pages, and the forum doesn't work for developer posts if it

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I took part in it so I already it. There was no proof that it was a finaincail failure to the only people who matter - BIO and MS. More than once they have stated quite clearly that they are more than happy with JE's performance.

The only ones who claim JE was a 'financial failure' ar ethose who have a hate on for BIO or for some reason expected it to sell as much as NWN or KOTOR or BG.

Wonder what anti-Bio feelings J.E. Sawyer had then :rolleyes: As I already mentioned: Reread it...

I didn't say everyone who felt JE was a financial failure was anti BIO. Read that quote again.

So he expected JE to sell like BG/NWN/KOTOR? I believe that even less.

So did Origin... so did Westwood... So did Looking Glass Studios... So did Ion Storm...

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

"Wonder what anti-Bio feelings J.E. Sawyer had then As I already mentioned: Reread it..."

I didn't say everyone who felt JE was a financial failure was anti BIO. Read that quote again.

The bottom line is those who actually invested money in JE, and whose money was on the line thought it was a success. That's all that matters.

Edited by Volourn

So did Origin... so did Westwood... So did Looking Glass Studios... So did Ion Storm...

But none of these companies were bought out by a bankrupt company in Titus who funneled all the money out of Interplay to pay their debts. Big difference when the parent company is bankrupt.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

There was also a 3 month difference between North American X-Box release and X-box and PC wordwide release...

Something like what happened with DX:IW...

Wait, isn't that about the same time difference between the Kotor1 X-box and PC releases  :rolleyes:"

And if they added in the droid-factory for example why couldn't they just also call it "added content"... NOBODY knew it was cut at that time; we figured that out from the ingame files that where left. We would have never figured that out...

actually, pc kotor came out 4 months after xbox version... and as noted, there were no 4 month cut on the release schedule to contend with.

regardless, we imagine that the obsidian developers finds all the baseless guessing to be kinda amusing.

HA! Good Fun!

"So he expected JE to sell like BG/NWN/KOTOR? I believe that even less."

I gave two possible reason. IIRC, Je's reasoning was that he believes the game cost over 10 million dollars to make (if not 20 million) and the 600k+ copies sold (at the time) wouldn't be able to cover his suspicion of what he felt the game cost to make and market.

Remember, he's making an educated guess. that's it. He doesn't have the actual numbers - BIO and MS do.

Now, one can make up things like BIO would 'lie' about it; but MS doesn't need to. If JE bombed finanically, MS could shrug their shoulders, take the loss, dump BIO, and move.

But, nooooooooo....

They've dedicated their resources to BIO for at least ANOTHER 3 GAMES.

Seems to me that MS is quite happy with BIO and JE's performancies.

Go figure.

Edited by Volourn

I have a sick feeling NWN2 will be the next Unreal 2. :( A great franchise brought to its knees by the length of the game.

modders might have to save this game

Edited by Ellester

- Steven Erikson

I have no idea if the 20 hours is confirmed as I am not going to read 29 pages, and the forum doesn't work for developer posts if it

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

"Wonder what anti-Bio feelings J.E. Sawyer had then As I already mentioned: Reread it..."

josh is a pretty cranky guy on the boards. he gots wotc issues and bio issues and he probably gots a "list" of other folks that is gonna someday gets theirs.

oh, wait, we were projecting again.

HA! Good Fun!