Oblivion Thread

Fenghuang

Okay, I did the Pale Pass quest twice, Hassat. I'll look to find your question again.

I don't remember the chests in question. There're probably keys on someone around there. I don't know if it requires a key or not, but I use alteration magic to unlock chests and doors. I'm sorry.

Edited by Eldar

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I did Pale Pass.. I ignored those chests though. I was actually really excited when I got the initial stuff, because I am playing without Compass markers and thought I'd have to find the Dragonclaw Rock or whatever myself through exploring. Of course, then I found out that the "landmark" is actually really tiny and impossible to find unless you talk to the Countess again for a map marker. Anyway, I was level 24 when I did it and by then I knew nothing from chests is really worth anything.

Thnx to both

Both require a key. I have found a key, but that one works on neither 2. The note with the key also mentioned a valueable ring... making the reason why I wanted the chests opened (to reply to Tigranes "there is nothing in it")...

1. The first is very close to the opening of the pass with the mine. Just when you exit the mine into the pass go left and there it is beyond some rocks

2. The second is very close near the fort, between some rocks next to the path, before you reach the statues before the fort.

Key/note. Found it in a chest on the ice to the right of the fort

Does magic also allows you to open chests where keys are needed? That seems odd, as it is a nice way to screw storyline-locked doors or whatever...

Anyway, thanks again...seems like we are all stomped there...

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Can't be arsed to go through all the pages and find this, but how do you make the days longer in Oblivion again?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Also, has anyone else not been able to effectively change the tone of your character's skin? Whenever I change it at character creation, it alwasy reverts back to the natural (default) tone.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Seen a couple problems along that line...Argonians keep reverting to a weird state in the inventory window, no matter how much ya mess with them. Their necks become pouches no matter what I do. :devil:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Thnx to both

Both require a key. I have found a key, but that one works on neither 2. The note with the key also mentioned a valueable ring... making the reason why I wanted the chests opened (to reply to Tigranes "there is nothing in it")...

*EDITED*

Does magic also allows you to open chests where keys are needed? That seems odd, as it is a nice way to screw storyline-locked doors or whatever...

Anyway, thanks again...seems like we are all stomped there...

post-4885-1145982559_thumb.jpg

Rusty Key opens Rusty Chest [red dot] :o

post-4885-1145982586_thumb.jpg

Old Key opens Old Chest [red dot] :blink:

post-4885-1145982600_thumb.jpg

Forgotten Key opens Forgotten Chest [red dot] :geek:

And it all comes down to nothing as -> -> ->

post-4885-1145982610_thumb.jpg

The reward is only useful if you're at really low level... and need cash. :o

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.

Thanks... will check it out the next time I load up Oblivion (which may take awhile)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

"I'm playing an heavily armored (but unarmed) tank." 

that is what Gromnir started doing... right before we quit.  see, we couldn't seems to get our strength or endurance up in game, so our blade and light armour using mage type were forced to go 'round in heavy armour fighting unarmed.  is amazing how fast our strength and endurace climbed thereafter... which is one reason we quit.  used conjuration and alteration magic all the time, but rarely could we gets +4 or +5 in int or will 'cause we had almost all the magic stuff as a major skill... but minor skills increase big time and not count 'gainst level progression. 

if you gotta use silly asinine tactics to level, then something is wrong with the game, ss's "more realistic" claims notwithstanding.

HA! Good Fun!

I agree. The fact that effective levelling required a lot of counter-intuitive meta-game planning was one of the most irritating aspects of the progression systems in both Morrowind and Oblivion. The learn-by-doing system (which I'm not opposed to in principle) makes matters even worse because you need to take the meta-game logic into account with everything you do, not just at level-up time. The first thing I modded in Oblivion was the stat multiplier progression, which I locked at x3 no matter how many related skill increases you have (instead of varying from x2 to x5).

Personally, I think the way they should have made it work is to give you a fixed number of points to distribute at level-up, and change the multiplier number to a cap instead, so specializing in related skills lets you focus your attribute points more tightly, but doesn't actually give you more attribute points. This would also mean that you could increase your luck without taking a big hit to your total points. You still wouldn't ever be able to increase luck quickly, but you wouldn't be penalized just for increasing it at all.

-Kasoroth

The funny thing is that you don't have to worry about how your attribute points spread out. No matter what, you're going to get through the game, unless it's too difficult for you, which is when you lower the difficulty setting.

You're still taking an awful lot of time and text trying to explain how the game "forces" you to meta-game. It doesn't. You choose to meta-game because you see those shiny +3 and +5 multipliers and forget that you can still choose the attribute you wanted, even though it only gives +1. I played through the game creating my own character, independent of the attribute multipliers and at no point did the game become too difficult (like Gromnir experienced) or unbalanced. It did become more difficult around level 18-20 but that evened out after a while.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

*shrug* I never cared about those +'s myself, half the time I put things into Luck!

Sometimes things are just too blatant for you to *not* metagame, and sometimes you never notice them.

The Elder Scrolls IV:

Oblivion

Every once in a while a game arises to the Market, and you just know it's just gonna be a hit. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is one of those games.

History

As most Elder Scrolls games you start off as a prisoner. This one is no different. This time however, you are in the capital of Cyrodiil. In fact that is the capital of the whole Empire. Unlike Morrowind, Oblivion allows the player to explore the WHOLE province. In turn this is about 2 and a half times the size of Morrowind. Any real gamer would know that's HUGE.

AI

In previous games, nearly EVERYTHING was scripted, but not anymore! Oblivion opens the downs to a whole new Ai system. This allows NPC's to go about a schedule, which may include eating, sleeping and/or ambushing someone or something.

Appearance

Since Morrowind came out, there has been no RPG big enough and powerful enough to take its crown. Oblivion has down that in style, with a whole new reworked HUD system, as well as inventory and map.

The new map is a lot different to what was expected from the old one. This one has a quest marker which will guide you on locations and quests. As well as the new quick travel system. Unlike Morrowind were you walked everywhere. Oblivion has the option that if you've already traveled there, then you have the fast travel option. This is VERY convenient for quest in the far wilderness.

When I first played Oblivion I though my computer was broken. In a good way, the graphics were magical, the shadows over whelming. The details and expressions on people

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Did you take this review from a publication or a post on a message board? If it's a post on the message board, then I'd say that his only problem is that he gets a kick out of murdering and robbing. Into the mix, throw his steadfast belief that Morrowind reigned suppreme until Oblivion hit the shelves. Finally, the Arrows he dumped undoubtedly had a better weight to coin ratio than most of his loot. Since nothing sells for less than one coin, an arrow, weighing .1, is assured to carry a 10/1 loot advantage. Some arrows, however, carry an even greater ratio. Unlike big ticket items, like a Daedric warhammer, arrows don't top out the merchant's cash reserve, which means it will sell for what they'll pay. For example, that Daedric warhammer, weighing in at 93 pounds, has a value of 5k gold. Sounds good, as that makes it ~53/1 gold to coin. Unfortunately for me, the most any merchant had in my game was 1.2k. So, that puts the ratio down to ~13/1. That's not much better than even the cheapest arrows in the first place.

If this came from a publication, he needs to edit it. Seriously.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Thnx once again Baneblade...

What does it say about my lvl 25 char that that ring is actually the best ring I have now? :)

^

Thnx once again Baneblade...

What does it say about my lvl 25 char that that ring is actually the best ring I have now?  :)

It says: :) I found a ring on a Dremora that gave me +10 to all attributes and a few skills. I think I was about level 23 at the time. I used a Sigil Stone to enchant another ring with +7 strength...combine that with a daedric claymore with 30 points damage health and you've got a lean, mean, daedra killing machine :cool:

master of my domain

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

Going to Anvil...;

Enter town, start at the Horsesellers. In the night, so the door is locked. A lockpick helps and I welcome myself in. A guy named Ernest tells me to "go inside" if I wan't a horse. Well, Ernest, I AM inside. Silly guy... walked into my sword after that. So I waked up the Miss and asked her for a horse. Sure; she would sell me a horse... Ernest would get it for me.

Ernest? That dead body over there? I turn around and see the body is gone :huh:. Nowhere to be found anymore either... (altough then I didn't know where he "should" have given the horse; maybe his corpse was there.

RELOAD. Attempt 2:

Lockpick and enter. Ask the miss for a horse and Ernest would happily give one. He was behind me yet no longer when I turned around. Freaky teleporter guy. So I go outside and what do I see; Ernest is sitting in mid-air :thumbsup: and gets of "mid-air". He then tells me the horse next to him is mine... eh? There is no horse next to you. Seems like a common issue, already had this mid-air horse-rider when I bought another horse during night.

EXIT TOWN. Enter city:

Lil' exploration, talked to some guards and visited the church. Then entered the fighters guild and waked everybody for a talk. Dog Moyo (or whatever he is called) moonwalks on a closed door 24/7 and some guy named Rhano moonwalks against a wall and goes back to sleep less than an hour after he woke up :). Got myself a nice quest and off I wen't. Oh, and same Rhano mentioned something about "advanched training" because he couldn't train me anymore; I had some feeling I shouldn't have gotten that line yet. But that could be me. So I went out to the Mages guild. Loads of nice stuff so I decide to join. The guildmaster told me something about how nice the stronger regulations where that prevented scavangers to enter. Well; the mageguild would have never been as empty as when I left again :nuke:. Nice "stronger control who enters". Sold half-the-content to the local Alchemist though, he just gave about 2K gold for stuff from his own guild...

In the abondoned house I met a stranger. I had no idea who he was and he had three options; "thieves guild" "Gray Fox" and "who are you?". I guess the first 2 should have not been available. Just a hunch

Visited the smith. Nothing interesting there. To finish off my short run through Anvil I did the fighters guild quest I got. So got to the lady, offered my help and wen't into the dungeon.

Being there I wiped all the rats for their lovely meat

So when I returned she was not very happy with me, as you might have guessed. With a failure I returned to the Guild, expecting a fine, reprimande or atleast ANY penalty. What did I get? PROMOTION... :blink:

I only did 1 quest for you guys and even failed that one and I get promotion? WTF?

Ah well, the following Mode of Postal I did not survive and so ended my day in Anvil.

EDIT; oh, and M'aiq told me about the killing of the emperor once for Rumor. Should he be able to do that?

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

hmm... i'm at level 22 now, and a vamp. been one since nearly the beginning of the game. somehow, however, it has decided to only give me the lower powers recently, and i'm not bothered by sunlight anymore. i can only carry 530, but that's enough to make dungeon runs worthwhile and i'm wearing deadric armor now (very heavy).

strange game. the last two gates i did were actually easy for some reason. most of them have those blasted storm astronach's (sic?) which are nigh impossible to kill if they start hitting you (stagger mode while they keep a wailin'). the last two, however, had only the daedric magic users and a couple of the dudes weilding claymores.

it is moronic in places, too... i think my security skill is 26 but i can pick anything. even the very hard locks. the lock picking thing is so screwy (made worse by my wireless mouse) that i could care less about saving and reloading while i pick away.

oh, and kaftan is right, this whole recharging swords thing is totally ridiculous. one or two fights and it's done. the problem is that the magic doubles the effectiveness. this is needed to prevent frequent reloads if you're battling. and the mess with soul gems? oof... just plain ridiculous.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

my heavy is near 100... and i already gave the unlimited use stone to the new emperor dude.

my gripe with the unlimited use soul gem is: why the hell did they make it part of the main quest? i mean, c'mon, how tarded must you be?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Yeah, really. If you don't know what it does and give it up thinking it's just a trinket...like I did...a few times...then you've been royally screwed out of one of the best items in the game.

They couldn't have made it that useless warhammer or anything?

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

You can give them any Daedric Shrine artefact, it doesnt have to be the star.. although I didnt know what it was foreither and so I gave that away instead of the hammer or some of the other crap you can get.

The funny thing is that you don't have to worry about how your attribute points spread out. No matter what, you're going to get through the game, unless it's too difficult for you, which is when you lower the difficulty setting.

You're still taking an awful lot of time and text trying to explain how the game "forces" you to meta-game. It doesn't. You choose to meta-game because you see those shiny +3 and +5 multipliers and forget that you can still choose the attribute you wanted, even though it only gives +1.

Getting a mere +1 in Intelligence at levelup mean you wont be able to chuck out those spells who cost upwards 500 Mana to cast.

I chose Restoration and Destructionas my class magic schools.. bad move since neither one causes INT to rise, and so I have only about 110 Mana at level 17

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

For SS or anyone else interested.

Day2 on the Avril quest:

So I reloaded a save and this time wanted to do the rat quest normally.

So I went to the hunter after killing the Mountain Lion

. I talked to him about the subject and he agreed to hunt. I had to ask a second time though before the quest updated and he started hunting with me (note: Reason for this coming up later). Kill, kill, kill...

So the lady now suspects her neighbour and I follow her; see her lying down that meat. I talk to her about it and... once again have to ask twice

What seems. IF you click the Training icon and then EXIT there, then click a line that should upgrade a quest the quest does not update. Ah well... minor issue; but quite annoying if you don't know it...

Finished quest and went to the fighters guild. At night, so all slept. Left and went to the Mages guild. Nobody down there so I did some stealing, returned to fighters guild. And suddenly they ALL wake up, walk around (no training options either) and go back to sleep. I go wake the chief of the guild, talk and return down and they do it AGAIN. Are fighters guild members of Anvil paranormal that they all similtaniusly wake up if there is a crime (theft/trespassing) commited far outside their sights? :huh:

Did some more exploring and arrived at the docks. Visited some harborhouse (lost name), not the Inn. Went to the sleeping rooms and in the first room there was somebody sleeping right away. I lockpicked her door and waked her. After that she tried to sleep again, yet instead of doing that in her own bed (which was later occupied with a male Orc and a male Argonian when I returned about 3 hours later; is a bed supposed to be occupied by 2?) she moonwalked upon other locked doors trying to get in those beds. She did that for an hour of 1.5, then I left. Meanwhile the owner walked in and went to a high locked red door. So I run behind her and when she opened the door runned through it. It never (3 days later still open) closed again. :o Free looting for me...

Wen't to the Inn to update

the Siren quest

. Had some time so also cleaned some ship of undead. Then went to the site for the

Sirens quest, Gerwyn's Farm

. I arrived too early though and did some exploring. Near the Troll Candle Camp I found some odd stone structure, a Jode Stone (sp?) who gave a nice bonus. Altough for some odd reason there was a half-cutoff stone here; flying in midair. Creepy...

Wen't to the farm. 10:59...Nobody home...11:00 loading map. Lol. Inside I was welcomed the usual way and the Khajiit and Imperial attacked me. 2 easy kills later I walked to the Dunmer expecting some "please don't kill me" speech, yet she repeated exactly the begin speech and attacked me. Uncertain this was meant to be I reloaded the quick-save 4 times. On all these 4 loads this didn't happen :geek:. Ah well, searched the corpses and looted the basement, taking that named loot with me thinking I could give it back to the owners. WRONG. There I wasted my free space again...

Wen't back to Anvil after looting some cave (where nasty critters damaged my stats) and found myself in FPS problems when walking close to a patato (and grapes) plant. Okay, sure, I understand why an enemy like a spirit, Lich and such drain FPS, due to the lightning... but why does standing close and watching to a patato-bush cost me 15FPS? Looking away or walking away from the bush gains these 15 quickly back...Weird.

Entered castle around morning. Despite notcing that the queen only had 1 bodyguard and a city guard, the barracks had a strange merging between a crate and sack, and the

Smith/Thieves Guild Fence

had some issues telling me "I see your a follower of the Gray Fox, too". In the middle of the night I visited some farm and the habitant (after yelling what do you do here!) had some quest for me. So I did that one, and it involved getting into a castle. There I noticed something quite unusual. On a SINGLE one-personbed 2 guys in full Daedra-armor where sleeping :). I have Detect Life and only saw something low... so I thought a rat. Nope it was a sleeping person. Detect life had only one lifeform in sight but after mister waked up suddenly they splitted into 2 :blink:. It caused some quick change of tactic...

Khajiit out...

^