USA rules in Soccer (football)

Ellester

"HA! grin.gif

"Passing on the blame, eh Grom?"

what blame? we not see anything wrong with calling the damned thing a ball... but as you got issues we pointed out the origin for you: english twits.

am not really sure what your martial arts background gots to do with the current debate, but kiddie martial arts toughens you up 'bout same 'mount as does soccer. wear those lilly white unis and pretend to fight? bah. here in the states we gots a handful of upper middle class bratlings who goes to martial arts classes to learns discipline and gets a little excercise while they ain't playing nintendo. is kinda amusing really.

boxing is the preferred martial art in this country, and like american football, it is a sport that requires youth participants to wear protective head gear.

"What I can't understand is why anyone would want to be tackled..."

typical euro misconception. getting tackled is punishment for not being strong enough or fast enough to stay on your feet. you ain't s'posed to wanna be tackled. duh.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

we not see anything wrong with calling the damned thing a ball...

Yeah. I guess there's nothing wrong with giving random objects random names. It's the lack of imagination I find amusing. The Brits' first for naming it, and yours now for going along with it. But if you're happy with the limiting of the lexicon, and the confusion it entails, I'm happy too.

am not really sure what your martial arts background gots to do with the current debate

I don't know. What does my background have to do with the current debate? You brought it up, in an inaccurate assumption too, buddy.

but kiddie martial arts toughens you up 'bout same 'mount as does soccer.  wear those lilly white unis and pretend to fight?  bah.  here in the states we gots a handful of upper middle class bratlings who goes to martial arts classes to learns discipline and gets a little excercise while they ain't playing nintendo. is kinda amusing really.

Right. I don't know the kind of martial arts you do over there, but I've had some ribs broken during my Tae Kwon Do training. I broke some, too, and I've seen way worse. You are right on the discipline part, though. That's probably why I quit before getting a black belt, in all my martial arts attempts.

And contrary to what you seem to think, martial arts do toughen kids up, if not physically, psychologically. Football doesn't do that.

boxing is the preferred martial art in this country, and like american football, it is a sport that requires youth participants to wear protective head gear.

So? I wore protective gear too in my TKD matches... and not just head gear.

typical euro misconception.  getting tackled is punishment for not being strong enough or fast enough to stay on your feet.  you ain't s'posed to wanna be tackled.  duh.

Whatever. You are taking a very plausible risk, for no good reason. If you want to get tackled, there's Jiu Jitsu. If you want to prove you're fast, there's track&field. And if you want to prove you're fast with a ball, there's football. I don't understand this masochistic obsession with receiving physical punishment.

Edited for stuff.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

numbers.jpg VS  gromnir.jpg

fight.jpg<--It's clickable!

:*

wouldn't be a fight.

*shrug*

# isn't really in Gromnir's bracket yet.

"Yeah. I guess there's nothing wrong with giving random objects random names. It's the lack of imagination I find amusing. The Brits' first for naming it, and yours now for going along with it. But if you're happy with the limiting of the lexicon, and the confusion it entails, I'm happy too."

see what we mean? when you makes a halfwit argument and get caught doing it, the best thing to do is simply let it go rather than add to your foolishness. rookies and some of our slower posters fails to grasp such an obvious notion.

and if # triped over an empty bottle of oringina during a martial arts practice and cracked a rib or somesuch we wouldn't be surprised. hardly makes him tough.

"And contrary to what you seem to think, martial arts do toughen kids up, if not physically, psychologically. Football doesn't do that."

oh sure, 'cause your vast experience playing american football makes you an expert. Gromnir, on the other hand, has experience in any number of martial arts. we has also played numerous sports at a very high level o' competition. however, we ain't gonna be presenting self as some kinda expert based on our experience. not have to. sure, a message board for a video game developer is not the best location to be finding former football players, but more than a few folks who played high school and college level ball... folks who went through two-a-days in west texas or south florida or eastern pennsylvania or chicago or oakland, is gonna be laughing their arse off as they reads your post informing them that they not needed no mental toughness compared to the typical glorified tae bo student.

HA!

"So? I wore protective gear too in my TKD matches... and not just head gear."

matches? just matches? you not see difference? you ain't seriously trying to compare your tae bo classes to american football practices or boxing is you?

"And if you want to prove you're fast with a ball, there's football. I don't understand this masochistic obsession with receiving physical punishment."

and so we come full circle again. is not just 'bout being fast. is why so many track stars has failed to make it in the nfl. in football, no matter how fast you is, you is gonna eventually get hit. what you gonna do once you get knocked on your arse? playing football requires one to be fast & tough. is the toughness part you euros don't understand, as you so clearly pointed out, and we ain't surprised.

football is also far more cerebral than is soccer. simply compare playbooks if you wish. oh sure, your typical American football player not have to be a brain surgeon, but you sit and listen to the average college coach explaining the different coverage assignments a safety is responsible for in tampa 2 v. a base cover 2 and you is gonna have to change some of your preconceptions 'bout American football.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

We will soon enough.  We shalll unseat the Brazillians then take their rain forest away!

Japan already beat us to it. They are deforesting the Brazilian rainforest because they have no lumber of their own.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I actually want us to be as humiliated as possible. So that perhaps finally we will wake up to the reality that our team needs to do more to win than just possess a handful of prima-donnas. We need much more time training together and playing together, and we need a decent captain who can inspire the team.

And as for effeminacy, m'dear Baley, compare the casualty stats between American football and football.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

wouldn't be a fight.

*shrug*

# isn't really in Gromnir's bracket yet.

More chest banging, and only failures to back it up. Delusions are always so sad to witness.

see what we mean?  when you makes a halfwit argument and get caught doing it,  the best thing to do is simply let it go rather than add to your foolishness.  rookies and some of our slower posters fails to grasp such an obvious notion.
No, I don't see what you mean, as there's only trolling and no substance in that paragraph. Maybe what you mean is that your sole purpose in this thread is to disrupt discussion?

and if # triped over an empty bottle of oringina during a martial arts practice and cracked a rib or somesuch we wouldn't be surprised.  hardly makes him tough.
Again, I don't know what kind of martial arts you do over there. But we don't leave bottles of "oringina" (whatever that may be, tried looking in a dictionary too) laying around for anyone to trip, fall, and crack a few ribs. One'd have to be pretty clumsy to break a bone falling to the same level, too. Happen to you often?

oh sure, 'cause your vast experience playing american football makes you an expert.
No. I meant football. With a ball, you know?

Gromnir, on the other hand, has experience in any number of martial arts.

we has also played numerous sports at a very high level o' competition.  however, we ain't gonna be presenting self as some kinda expert based on our experience.  not have to.

Translation: "I have done this and that and been here and there, however I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert, as that would blatantly expose my holier-than-thou attitude, even though I try to veil it with an average joe approach that lowly common folk love so much"

Whatever Grom.

sure, a message board for a video game developer is not the best location to be finding former football players, but more than a few folks who played high school and college level ball... folks who went through two-a-days in west texas or south florida or eastern pennsylvania or chicago or oakland, is gonna be laughing their arse off as they reads your post informing them that they not needed no mental toughness compared to the typical glorified tae bo student.
That paragraph is based off your mistaken interpretation of what I said before. Again, I meant football with a ball.

You fail at reading comprehension.

matches?  just matches?  you not see difference?  you ain't seriously trying to compare your tae bo classes to american football practices or boxing is you?
Eh? Again your misconceptions and flawed assumptions drive you to post nonsense. You don't know if I have actually competed, you see, you don't need to have a black belt for that. And considering there's a good proportion of KOs in TKD matches due to kicks to the head, I'd say I can very fairly compare that to your American football, or boxing matches.

and so we come full circle again.  is not just 'bout being fast.  is why so many track stars has failed to make it in the nfl.  in football, no matter how fast you is, you is gonna eventually get hit.  what you gonna do once you get knocked on your arse?  playing football requires one to be fast & tough.
You forgot dumb. You need to be pretty dumb to want to get hit for no good reason. It's very simple, but I can see how you would fail to follow. If no matter how fast you are, you are eventually going to get hit, then getting hit is an integral part of that sport. Therefore, anyone wanting to play that sport, wants to get hit, without any chance of hitting back.

football is also far more cerebral than is soccer.  simply compare playbooks if you wish.  oh sure, your typical American football player not have to be a brain surgeon, but you sit and listen to the average college coach explaining the different coverage assignments a safety is responsible for in tampa 2 v.  a base cover 2 and you is gonna have to change some of your preconceptions 'bout American football.
Now you're an expert in football as well?

You accuse me of having "euro preconceptions" post after post, and amusingly, it's you who's being shown to have his already painfully narrow sights obstructed by preconceptions and ignorance. The irony is gleaming.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Yeah, I figured it'd be something like that. Another cheap shot, obviously, unless Grom actually uses Orangina during his training sessions.

No, Grom. We don't use Orangina. We use vintage wine, and camembert.

Grom is euro bashing, just because he can't get over the fact that football is more popular worldwide than American foot'ball'? How rude. :lol:

... if we had a daughter...

We found this was amusing, we prays such an error is never allowed to happen. :)

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

oh goodie, we is gonna do the inane reply/quote thing.

"You accuse me of having "euro preconceptions" post after post, and amusingly, it's you who's being shown to have his already painfully narrow sights, obstructed by preconceptions and ignorance. The irony is gleaming."

why would that be ironic? most people really don't know what irony is. mabe you mean hypocritical? that might work better. in any event maybe you should review the thread and sees just how we gots onto a us v. euro trend. we got all kinds of pre and post conceptions 'bout euros. did the fullbright thing and got a taste of the euro lifestyle first hand. and of course our view o' euros is tainted by our rather unique upbringing... we actually gots dual citizenship btw.

"No, I don't see what you mean,"

yes, yes, that has become painfully obvious.

"as there's only trolling and no substance in that paragraph. Maybe what you mean is that your sole purpose in this thread is to disrupt discussion?"

of course. anything you disagree with is simply trolling on Gromnir's part. you make a ridiculous sta-tement 'bout how the description of rugby balls and football balls shows lack of imagination or some other such nonsense and you will continue to actually fight on such an issue. bad cess mate... Bad form. "Yeah. I guess there's nothing wrong with giving random objects random names." see, as you not seem to get much you has missed that the naming of the rugby ball and football is hardly random. Rugby evolveds from soccer and football evolved from rugby. to somehow take such naming trends as evidence of anything significant is patently ludicrous... obvious to any, but you will continue to plugs away at a dead issue. heck, you even got Gromnir to educate you further when it woulda' been in your best interest to simply ignore...

"No, Grom. We don't use Orangina. We use vintage wine, and camembert."

you liquor up for training? no wonder you trips and manages to break things.

"That paragraph is based off your mistaken interpretation of what I said before. Again, I meant football with a ball.

You fail at reading comprehension."

actually our reading comprehension is just fine. your edits is interesting and all, but football and soccer is two different sports. you mean one and not the other and it us up to you to clarify at the time of post. this is an American game developer's board after all.

regardless, we not know what possible significance there could be in preaching how tough martial arts makes you compared to soccer. is a bit like trying to claim that golf is a better cardio exercise than is bowling. even if you is right you hasn't really set the bar very high.

"You don't know if I have actually competed, you see, you don't need to have a black belt for that. And considering there's a good proportion of KOs in TKD matches due to kicks to the head, I'd say I can very fairly compare that to your American football, or boxing matches."

never suggested that you competed. where you get that? Not care. have been to tae kwon do classes more than a handful of times, (though we has more experience with kempo and escrima.) majority of practices is sans padding. football and boxing is much different.

in any event, you can gets knocked unconscious falling off a ladder... such rarities not make ladder climbing an experience comprable to football, just as the occasional fell blow in tae bo is rare.

"You need to be pretty dumb to want to get hit for no good reason"

yes. We can see your point. involvement in a sport where violent physical contact is inevitable is just plain crazy. utterly ludicrous, stoopid and insane.

maybe you should reread some of your comments wherein you trys to convince us just how dangerous is tae kwon do.

see, yet another reason why reply/quote gets some folks into so much trouble. They forgets their own arguments mere fractions after typing them. You get so tied into rebutting single snippets that you loo-se hold of any real central point. Is really tragic when we sees such sloppy posting.

"Now you're an expert in football as well? "

yeah, we is something of an expert on football. soccer we has only a passing knowledge of as we played for only a few years and then got bored. however, we did date a woman for a couple of years who were a high school soccer coach. as Gromnir were coaching dbs for local jv high school at the time, Gromnir and the soccer coach often compared notes. still, we is by no means an expert of soccer.

in any event, as the gameplay in soccer is far more fluid than it is in football, you necessarily has more opportunity to plan and strategize during the course of a game. this should be obvious to anybody with even a passing familiarity with both sports. for you geekling gamers, think of rt (sans pause) v. tb. the cereberal component in basketball is necessarily less than in football, for much the same reasosn... so don't feel bad little fella.

"Grom is euro bashing, just because he can't get over the fact that football is more popular worldwide than American foot'ball'?"

does that make any sense? Why on earth would Gromnir care if worldwide popularity of soccer is greater than football? is something we is aware of and fully concedes. soccer is much more popular 'round the globe than football and it will continue to be so for a long, long time. when we watches nd v. usc on a saturday afternoon we does not think our enjoyment is somehow diminished by realizing that most folks in cameroon and bulgaria don't give a damn 'bout football.

soccer is a very nice sport... for girls.

HA! Good Fun!

Not soccer, Football, you know, since it actually involves feet touching a ball... and not just homoerotic buttslapping. :geek:

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Jesus Christ.....

Gromnir, no matter how you try to spin it, saying that "Football is a nice sport...for girls" is an obvious flamebait.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

a football game cannot start w/o a foot touching a ball... is called a kickoff.

and while Gromnir has never gotten the whole buttslapping thing that occurs in football and baseball and so many other sports, we don't think lucius wants to really get going on the gayness issue, doe he? lockage of thread for that kinda stoopidity is a near certainty.

"Gromnir, no matter how you try to spin it, saying that "Football is a nice sport...for girls" is an obvious flamebait."

yeah?

didn't know that we had denied such.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"Gromnir, no matter how you try to spin it, saying that "Football is a nice sport...for girls" is an obvious flamebait."

yeah?

didn't know that we had denied such.

HA! Good Fun!

*Sighs*

Whatever.....

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

keep in mind that pretty much any kid born in the United States after 1960 has played soccer. elemntery and high schools always has soccer as part of their required pe (physical education) programs. is relatively easy to learn basics and it not take much expensive equipment. almost every American who posts on this board will have played soccer many times in their life.

now, how many euros can say that they played football, real American football?

HA! Good Fun!