Most underappriciated games

Calax

as bad as kotor2 were at times, we do not thinks it gets 'nuff credit for what it did well. not long development time, but chrisA gave us kreia and her view of the force that were more complex and compelling than any we seen in a star wars game or movie (and as we ain't never read one of the books or comics...) we got jedi who, w/o being dark, were unscrupulous and less than honorable... though they were doing so for greater good. in other words, we had some jedi that were actually human for a change. atone/atton and scion/sion is the kinda names for characters that one would maybe expect from a harry potter book, but with some notable exceptions, the joinable npcs and main villains had stories that were, if not always compelling, then at least they were intriguing. in point of fact, the combat and stories of kotor2 were usually better than those of kotor.

unfortunately, the quests that went nowhere and the characters who seemed pointless, and the dialogues that were just gawdawful and the ending that was almost criminal all conspired to makes kotor2 understandably under appreciated.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

well I think I should add Tie fighter... The game is practically unknown to the general population because it's so old... only those like us (we rock!) know about it to a greater extent and besides, the game can't be played on a XP platform...

I say we beg Lucas arts to bring it back with a vengance.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

well I think I should add Tie fighter... The game is practically unknown to the general population because it's so old... only those like us (we rock!) know about it to a greater extent and besides, the game can't be played on a XP platform...

dunno. when people lists the bestest sw games evar, we almost always see tie fighter at top of the list.

battlezone and warhammer: dark omen is also on our list. is two of the more innovative and well crafted strategy games of the last decade... games that it seems like nobody save for game developers has played. lots of NEW stuff we see in recent rts games were things we seen in those games a long tme ago.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

... the guy game...

Ooooook...

I don't think there was a mechwarrior one. that's generally reffered to as Battletech board game.

Nope, there was a Mechwarrior 1, released by Activision.  One of my favourite games growing up.

mw1shd.gif

That's a Jenner vs Shadow Hawk believe it or not.

try a different image.

mechwarrior2-05.jpg

I remember this...

it's funny... there was a glitch in mw2 where if you took off all your heatsinks you'd get unlimited weight... only problem was you had to run with coldmieser on.

Mechwarrior was huge.  It spawned numerous sequels.  It's not under-appreciated.

I remember Mechwarrior 2 being huge, Mechwarrior 1 not so much

That's true, Mechwarrior 2 is when the brand really took off in terms of video games, but I'd say the entire brand has gotten plenty of appreciation.

is this open to non-computer games? well, I guess it is now.

** Castle Risk **

great game....think of it as a cross between Risk and Diplomacy. when it comes to light wargames that complete in about 3 hours or less, there is nothing better than Castle Risk.

I believe it is out of production but, of course, can still be obtained on eBay.

^Hardly. It got nothing but praise like with all Nintendo quirks.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

dunno. when people lists the bestest sw games evar, we almost always see tie fighter at top of the list.

battlezone and warhammer: dark omen is also on our list. is two of the more innovative and well crafted strategy games of the last decade... games that it seems like nobody save for game developers has played. lots of NEW stuff we see in recent rts games were things we seen in those games a long tme ago.

HA! Good Fun!

I remember both. Good choices.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

BLOODLINES

Totally unbelievablunderappreciated.

:lol: Yes, buggy, wasn't it. A very good game, nonetheless.

Though In Memoriam had many many flaws, it deserved more credit than it got for an interesting idea and very creepy use of emails from a kidnapper. Brief, but addictive.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Heavy Gear 2, without a doubt. Superb single player campaign, awesome multiplayer, no bugs upon release. It pretty much didn't get any better. Amen to Sanitarium too.

Edited by EUIX

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Heavy Gear 2, without a doubt. Superb single player campaign, awesome multiplayer, no bugs upon release. It pretty much didn't get any better. Amen to Sanitarium too.

Interesting, so why do I get a CTD with HG2, I agree though, superb game!

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Almost everyone gets those with Heavy Gear 2 on newer machines.

It's like a damn feature.

kirottu said:

Interesting, so why do I get a CTD with HG2, I agree though, superb game!

I played it years ago. Could be a compatibility issue with newer computers. I never had problems with it.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Anachronox - first part of a trilogy, but remained the last one until this day (and will be for days to come) - trailer

Psychonauts - count the fingers on one of your hands and you have the number of copies sold (+/- 2)

The Dig - one of my favorite Adventures, but I think it didn't got big love because of outdated graphics and not-so-monkey-islandish-humour

Grim Fandango - best adventure ever; sold some copies, but not THE numbers...helped to create this LucasArts