Most underappriciated games

Calax

Majesty.

It wasn't actually a sim, and it wasn't your average RTS strategy game, and I think that confused a lot of people, including the marketing folks. It had this premise of being a RTS but you couldn't actually control your units/tell them what to do or where to go via mouse clicks...once you 'get that', it's a ball to play...plus all the unit types had mini-personalities, and loyalty factors (rogues could be enticed to an enemy player in MP with enough gold) and certain races had certain bonuses to you the King etc.

I don't typically like RTS games much, but I played Majesty for a long long time.

Edit - the Northern Expansion had some maps that were a serious challenge even for experienced players...great stuff.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Maybe Jedi Academy...not for the story but for the gameplay...only if the multiplayer maps were better...

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Yup. Too bad they went broke and we will never see a Majesty2  :)  :huh:

Ack...I hadn't heard that...last I'd checked there they were still developing it. *glances through the forums* Damnit...ah well, at least there's always the fan made Heroes of Ardania.

Long live the Majesty monk. And Jay Adan. And...oh, phooey, how depressing.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yup. Too bad they went broke and we will never see a Majesty2  :)  :lol:

Why do they always punish the great original games, and gets Sequel 10+ (EA anyone?) major sales?

By "they" I imagine you mean the consumers that buy said games?

The second "They" is indeed costumers... (and alot of mags too)

Ack...I hadn't heard that...last I'd checked there they were still developing it.  *glances through the forums* Damnit...ah well, at least there's always the fan made Heroes of Ardania.

Long live the Majesty monk. And Jay Adan. And...oh, phooey, how depressing.

Yeah, too bad. Now all they can do is make educational software :(

They do try to sell Majesty2 to another developer...no idea on how that's going though...

Fixed quotes

Edited by Battlewookiee

Tetris for game boy or the original Nintendo.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Tetris for game boy or the original Nintendo.

Ok...under-appreciated does not mean immensely popular. Tetris is one of the best selling games ever, it's inspired tons of clones, and it brought video games to many non-gamers.

You guys are killing me, under-appreciated games are not just older games. They are games that were great but slipped under the radar of the general public. Solitaire is not under-rated, it's installed on almost every computer in the world. Majesty is under-appreciated, it got great reviews, but couldn't bring in the sales or the mass public appeal.

Edited by Hurlshot

Well, Hostile Waters?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Crusader. A good game back in it's day. I lost my copy of it and can't seem to find a place that sells it. :lol:

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Melting people.... thats what I remember most about the game. And setting them on fire..

I loved doing that. One crispy human coming right up.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

There was a real-time strategy game that my friend and I used to play all the time, but I don't think it was very popular. Z was the name... it was designed to be a little less-than-serious, but that just added to the fun. I remember the general swore a lot.

Hmm, also there were a few cool arena-based computer games I remember being a lot of fun. Hyperblade was one... the 3d environment reminded me of the Battle Room in the Ender books. The other was DeathDrome. I believe the premise of DeathDrome was something like this....

In the future, death row inmates are given ridiculously destructive vehicles and they battle each other for the chance to live another day in the DeathDrome arena.

I think that one was two computers ago, but I would love to play it again.

Carmageddon 2 was a lot of fun as well, in the same destructive vein. I suppose it was more popular, but still a bit underappreciated.

I've loved the Road Rash series across three platforms, but I don't think there's plans to do any more of those wonderful games. EA used to do them, but they're probably busy making lots and lots of changes to the latest Madden game, so they won't do it. Some other company made a Road Rash for the N64 that was a very good version, but it didn't sell very well, I think.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs