Star Wars DVDs...[Ep.3 SPOILERS]

Jedi Master Dakari

So I'm watching Ep. III with the Audio Commentary, right? I skip forward to the dramatic scene where Mace and the other three Jedi Masters attempt to arrest Palpatine. Instead of hearing Lucas or McCallum say something about the story, or the depth of McDiarmid's character, I hear Coleman's voice listing off shots and scenes that were digital doubles. He firmly pointed out that Palpatine leaping from behind desk and spinning in the air was a digital double. (That was digital? NO WAY!) <_< Or he was huffing every breath, trying as quickly as he could, to name the scenes with a digital head-double.

During the Order Sixty-Six scene: Again, instead of hearing Lucas or McCallum say something about the tragedy and turmoil that is taking place all around, and the hurt and pain that Yoda is feeling through the Force, I hear Coleman explaining (with excitement, I might add) how they were able to get Yoda's stick to bounce at just the right frequency with some sort of new program, that I could really care less about. Not to mention that I will never see nor use it in my entire life.

Honestly... :(

And to round up my ranting...I just had to skip forward to the scene where Anakin ignites his lightsaber in preparation to wipe out the Jedi children hidding in the Council Chamber. To my great pleasure I heard Lucas speaking of how far Anaking had fallen. But, to tell the truth, I was expecting to hear Coleman say something to the effect of, "That lightsaber...that's a digital lightsaber right there, folks." And I mean that with complete and utter honesty.... :p

Has anyone else noticed how Rob Coleman ruins what could be the best commentary moments with the most irrelevant and/or insignificant statements? I know I sure have.

Edited by Jedi Master Dakari

"Learn to harness your anger and control your fear. Dominate your emotions! But do not let them overcome you; for they can surely cause you to fall to the dark side.

If you expect to win against a Sith then you need to fight like a Sith! If you do not, you will always be met with defeat."

-- Jedi Master Seraphis Dakari

:ph34r: umm... people actually listen to commentaries?

Sure, they can be really good sometime. The director commentaries on the Lord of the Rings extended editions are really good. Haven't listened to the cast commentaries for the 2nd and 3rd yet, but the one for Fellowship was a lot of fun.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Yeah, I'm a collector. I need those special features to justify the $25 purchase price of the DVD.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The bonus features stop me from illegally downloading DVDs.... :)

I never usually listen to tthe commentary but when the OT was released on DVD i found Lucas' constant whinging - about how nothing turned out the way he wanted - to be amusing ^_^ I also found his admission to being crap at writing and pacing to be funny.

To the guy complaining about the commentary, its usually the film that tells the story right? I like the little technical explanations. :lol:

Edited by Surreptishus

Yeah, I'm a collector. I need those special features to justify the $25 purchase price of the DVD.

Nothing beats my Jubei Kibagami action figure that came with my Ninja Scroll : The Series tin box. ^_^

I dunno... I got a Snake Eyes figure with my GI Joe original miniseries box.

Bodymassage.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Best thing ever was my Nosferatu DVD where some guy is semi-interviewing Werner Herzog(director) and in one scene:

-Did you do that with computer animation?

-Uhm... *perplexed pause* ..you DO know that I did this film in the 1970's? There were no computers effects then.

:thumbsup:

"Thoughtcrime is death. Thoughtcrime does not entail death. Thoughtcrime is death."

I don't listen to commentaries, I'm watching the damned movie not here about this or that about it.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Best thing ever was my Nosferatu DVD where some guy is semi-interviewing Werner Herzog(director) and in one scene:

-Did you do that with computer animation?

-Uhm... *perplexed pause*  ..you DO know that I did this film in the 1970's? There were no computers effects then.

:thumbsup:

I liked the Blade II one where at the beginning Guillermo Del Toro is like "If you're wondering why some fat mexican **** is talking to you instead of you hearing the movie, you're on the wrong audio track"

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well, I agree with Darque about listening to the commentary. Kinda ruins the movie. I'd rather not hear Lucas or anyone dissecting the movie while I'm trying to enjoy it. I'm pretty sure that if you're not brain-dead, you can figure out that a lot of it is computer animated. And I don't care about Lucas's justification about Anakin turning so quickly because he knocked Mace Windu out a window... it was the worst part of the movie, that's all I need to know. If he wants to make some commentary, have a separate interview on disc 2. But, hey, at least you don't have to deal with the commentary unless you turn it on... that's a plus. :devil:

Commentary tracks can be very interesting as you learn much about the film that is not accessible any other way. But its something you do once with films you have a special interest in.

Hearing Lucas explain all the cringeworthy moments of utter badness would be interesting.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

And I don't care about Lucas's justification about Anakin turning so quickly because he knocked Mace Windu out a window... it was the worst part of the movie, that's all I need to know.

No...I think the "I'm so in love with you" scene was the worst. Lucas actually revealed on the commentary (nobody kill me for listening) that he added that scene later. Honestly, George, the film could have done without. Trust me.

Sam's and Ian's acting, in the scene you selected above, is actually great. Good enough, in fact, to over-shadow Lucas's pacing just bit.

If I want to learn something about he movie, I'll watch the special features and goodies that come with it.

Ummm, Audio Commentary is considered a special feature with any DVD movie. :p

"Learn to harness your anger and control your fear. Dominate your emotions! But do not let them overcome you; for they can surely cause you to fall to the dark side.

If you expect to win against a Sith then you need to fight like a Sith! If you do not, you will always be met with defeat."

Did you check to see if there was more than one commentary track? (I haven't....)

I really liked that about the LoTR's DVD's...didn't realize there was more than one commentary track until I accidentally hit a switch-tracks button on my remote. I don't often listen to commentary tracks but a couple of those LoTR ones by the actors were interesting.

Hmm...maybe I'll go check the SW dvd's now.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If any of you have seen the comedy series Black Books, the DVD commentaries are at least as funny as the show itself.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Did you check to see if there was more than one commentary track?

No, there's only one.

George can't write he should leave it in the hands of someone who can.

For Episode IV he wrote and directed. I thought he did a pretty good job with it. It was really good movie. And the technological disadvantages of the time can be overlook (slightly) because the story AND ACTING was very good. For Episodes V ande VI the acting remained good, but George co-wrote with atleast one (I think) other person, and the director's chair was occupied by someone other then Lucas himself.

And people wonder why the OT is far better (story and acting wise) than the new trilogy. It's because other people had various imput and vision they could have implemented.

I think George is a great story-teller. And his stories have heart and soul. However, he is not a really good director and his writing (especially love scenes) are almost comical.

Also, I can completely understand why he wanted to direct the Prequels himself. I really do. However, I also feel that had he allowed others to take on that task, they could have been so much better than what they turned out to be.

If any of you have seen the comedy series Black Books, the DVD commentaries are at least as funny as the show itself.

I can say the same thing about 'Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn' . There is a commentary track with Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell that had me in stitches!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

You guys should try and listen to the Aliens II commentary, with the old actors crew together again (except for Weaver) after all those years, they're having a blast. :)

The parts where the tech guys talk is kinda boring though. <_<

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.