Bioware/Pandemic and investor relationship

Hurlshort

"safe sequels" are a blight.  <_>

-"Attractive core business model"

:o"

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I think there are benefits to the move as well as negatives. I'll wait and see how things work out.

I don't think the dudes at BIO are clueless - they're in the gaming industry afterall and know better than most of us how things work, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Because now you have a invester that drop 300 millions on you and wants a return of his investment so naturaly they have some control over projects.

Not always. Venture capitalists often just provide capital to someone with a business model that they believe in. Again, it' similar to the stock markets. People can and do invest large amounts of money into companies via the stock market and they don't have control over projects.

I think there are benefits to the move as well as negatives.  I'll wait and see how things work out. 

I don't think the dudes at BIO are clueless - they're in the gaming industry afterall and know better than most of us how things work, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Interplay was in the gaming industry and *I* could have run the company better. :devil:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Recently I read a article about Origin and how what happened when EA brought the company.

They were a known respectable company but what happened was "EA given enough rope for then to hang thenselves with", they simply were inresponsible and EA set in to make sure the money was proper used and that lead to the state that Origin Systems is now.

drakron.png

Strangely enough (well, not so strange really, if you think about it) the sequels tend to be better than the original when it comes to computer games, while it's the other way around in the movies.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

False. Most movie sequels ar ebetter than the original. people just look at originals through rose coloured glasses because 'it came first' is it was 'more original.

Originality does not equal quality.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Strangely enough (well, not so strange really, if you think about it) the sequels tend to be better than the original when it comes to computer games, while it's the other way around in the movies.

I have to disagree on that one, there is really no correlation.

* Unreal was definitely better than Unreal 2, while BG2 was better than BG1 (IMO)

* Aliens (2) was better than Alien (1), and Cube was much better than Cube 2.

* Aliens (2) was better than Alien (1)

Have we seen the same movies? While Aliens is a really good movie, Alien is a great one.

Generally speaking I'd agree with mkreku. Movie sequels tend to be dull and uninspiring (there are exceptions) while game sequels tend to improve on what was before.

Most movie sequels ar ebetter than the original.

So you're saying you can find more sequels with higher grades than their original on IMDB than I can find original movies with higher grades than their sequels on IMDB? YOU'RE ON!

Or.. if you don't want to be embarrassed as usual, you can skip that part and admit that you're talking out of your butt again. Or just come up with yet another lame excuse. Your choice.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

"So you're saying you can find more sequels with higher grades than their original on IMDB than I can find original movies with higher grades than their sequels on IMDB? YOU'RE ON!"

Do you alwsy allow othersa' opinions sway yours? You allow others to tell you what to think?

WOWSERS! Whatever happened to making up one's own mind? Hahahaha!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Generally speaking,

Film producers approach sequels "Dang! This film made some serious $$$, lets squeeze another one out quick and ride the hype!"

While game developers go "lets take everything we learned while making the first game and make the sequel an even better one!"

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

This seems to be a similar arrangement as the one between Bethesda and Zenimax. And, as far as I know, Bethesda has complete creative freedom in the making of their games.

So this doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

This seems to be a similar arrangement as the one between Bethesda and Zenimax. And, as far as I know, Bethesda has complete creative freedom in the making of their games.

So this doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.

Only as long as those not familiar with game development can keep their hands off of the game development.

"So you're saying you can find more sequels with higher grades than their original on IMDB than I can find original movies with higher grades than their sequels on IMDB? YOU'RE ON!"

Do you alwsy allow othersa' opinions sway yours? You allow others to tell you what to think?

WOWSERS! Whatever happened to making up one's own mind? Hahahaha!

If you just use a sample size of one then a conclusion cannot be extrapolated.

When people say "Sequels are usually not as good as the first movies" it's an aggregate of the opinions of many people. It doesn't mean that no sequel is better than the original movie ever. Or that two people cannot disagree about whether it is or is not better.