Peragus/Taris preference

Well, i'm glad to hear that Peragus isn't exactly what the whole game is all about. I keep reading that this is a great game, even with it's flaws. But I really couldn't wait to get done with Peragus. And I feel no sense of urgency, (except my own due to boredom), like i did on the Endar Spire: I agree that the K1 Endar Spire is like K2's Ebon Hawk Prologue.

I should try to dig up that post I read about Peragus being more in depth. That's what it said, I think, somewhere..

Peragus wasn't K2's Endar Spire.  The Prologue was K2's Endar Spire.

Well, I can't argue that case. You win this time Hades, you win this time.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

You used too many words.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I hope so.

OK, *technically* this is how it works:

Endar Spire/coasting Ebon Hawk = tutorial

Taris/Peragus = introduction to story

Dantooine/Telos = transition from intro to the story proper

However, Peragus was fine but there is no way it can compare to Taris. Taris is the best, most fleshed out world in this franchise so far. Nothing else is even close, IMO.

I've found that Peragus doesn't stop me from playing KOTORII more than once. I've done it so many times I could probably do it in my sleep. :o

I've become quite good at getting through Peragus pretty quickly each time, by only doing the necessary things for experience.

Having never played KOTORI, I can't compare it to Taris or Endar Spire or whatever, but I plan on borrowing KOTORI from a friend at some point.

Peragus was just tedious. I mean, half the story was told in obscure and rather dull in-game cinematics.

I think there should have been more charater interaction at the beginning of the story of TSL rather than a drawn out adventure in an abandoned mining facility. As it is, Peragus gives the game a very slow start...

Taris, meanwhile, was the best planet of KOTOR. It gave the storyline a lot of tension and it introduced almost all of the cast. Really there is no comparison between them :o

PS: yay 200!

Edited by Sentry

Comparing Taris to Telos due to the Endar Spire is bad...

It would be more like:

Endar Spire - Ebon Hawk with T3

Peragus - Taris

Telos - Dantooine

:-"

I disagree, since on the Ebon Hawk you weren't using your character. Ender Spire and Paragus both had that feeling of urgency, you felt like you needed to get out of there, and fast. Taris and Telos were both big cities and it was really your first chance to really interact with NPC's.

No agree with Battlewookie (well actually he is agreeing with me from the original post it's just that I probably didn't clear the above up).

Endire Spire - Ebon Hawk T3 are the Tutorial levels

Taris - Peragus are the first real levels of the game

Dantooine - Telos are both the compulsory levels after the first level

What you say Pixies is valid, but the key here is that the first decent length intro (not tutorial) level the player is exposed to is Taris - Peragus.

Like I said in the old post, I do think the K2 Tutorial is superior; it is more boring (and less creative, mainly with Trask talking game controls :huh: ) than Endire Spire but definitely the better tutorial.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Having never played KOTORI, I can't compare it to Taris or Endar Spire or whatever, but I plan on borrowing KOTORI from a friend at some point.

Well, there ya go.

I understand why Peragus wouldn't stop you from playing the game if K2 is the only kotor game you've played. If I started out with K2 I would probably have the same opinion, because the idea and gameplay of Kotor is amazing. But after playing a really really good game (K1) and then coming to the sequel (K2), the thunder was already stolen.

I think Taris was better, however I have to state that the positive for Peragus (and inversely the negative for Taris) is that if you want to get on with the story and you want to have freedom of hopping from planet to planet, Peragus has the edge since it is shorter. If you hate Taris, you're stuck there for a LOOOOOONG time. If you hate Peragus, you aren't there as long.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If you hate Taris, you're stuck there for a LOOOOOONG time.  If you hate Peragus, you aren't there as long.

However, there were so many different atmospheres to play in for Taris. For instance, the undercity and sewers were different than the upper city and lower city, and you could do a lot of unique things in each place. I don't know for sure, but it seems hard to hate ALL of those places.

Also, like people have been saying, Taris is more interactive in the social department, which made it more fun for me.

I don't know for sure, but it seems hard to hate ALL of those places.

Also, like people have been saying, Taris is more interactive in the social department, which made it more fun for me.

I agree with both of you. If you don't like it you're stuck for longer but it is unlikely you hate all of Taris.

You obviously can't satisfy everyone but I think Taris was the good choice and more people like it than hate ALL of it.

Edit: What about this then - you leave Peragus only to be stuck on Telos. At least on Dantooine you clearly start a new phase of the game and become a Jedi (with real teaching and a quest out of it), plus I reckon the compulsory bits of Dantooine are shorter to do, and to some extent funner, and more direct in it's contribution to building up the story.

K2 is Peragus to Telos to Telos Surface to Telos Bunker to Telos Polar Academy THEN travel... :huh:

also, you can rush through the Dantooine Grove and Ruins and comeback later, but you can't do that with Telos Surface/Bunker/Academy cos you can't come back.

Edited by dufflover

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

endor spire over ebon hawk. To me, endor spire and ebon hawk were the prologs of each KotOR game.

peragus over taris. first game areas after prolog.

Telos over dantoine. 2nd game area. Telos is a bit better to me.

starforge over malacore. until I see the restoration, then that may chage :cool:

Having Kreia on Peragus (Since she is blind) simply made the facility look like a place of death, which is like Malachor. A difference between Peragus and Taris is that one has people, wherelse the Peragus miners were all killed off, and instead the droids were still alive. (Reminescent of NWN: Hordes of the Underdark where the Elder Brain exerted a mental strain on villagers that looked like they were half-dead)

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

Having Kreia on Peragus (Since she is blind) simply made the facility look like a place of death, which is like Malachor. A difference between Peragus and Taris is that one has people, wherelse the Peragus miners were all killed off, and instead the droids were still alive. (Reminescent of NWN: Hordes of the Underdark where the Elder Brain exerted a mental strain on villagers that looked like they were half-dead)

Now that you mention it, with the beginning of the game being so desolate, it really sets the tone for the whole game. The theme of the game is a really dark one, as at least one of the developers has said (in one of the video interviews on Gamespot.com). Peragus does its job very well, IMO.

A question for someone who's played KOTORI, does Taris establish the game's theme with it as the opening planet, or is it more of a get-used-to-the-feel place?

A question for someone who's played KOTORI, does Taris establish the game's theme with it as the opening planet, or is it more of a get-used-to-the-feel place?

KotOR 1 came out around the same time as Jedi Academy. Being a rare RPG player, I found it very nice to have the main difference of Shooters and RPG highlighted with Taris and the whole walk, talk, and people around nice. I'm not saying it was deliberately designed with Jedi Academy in mind though - just a consequence/observation I guess.

I'd say it's get-used-to-RPG type place. A bit like you've learnt the basic controls and stuff, now here's a planet to try it on. As for the theme, I don't think it was trying to establish the mood of the game or anything specifically - still felt nice though.

sigpic0yb.jpg