KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

:p

That makes me a sad panda.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Poor jodo. He doesn't have clue. :-

Back to epics; has anyone considered that one of the possible endings for the K-saga(is it a saga?) is death. Sacrifice for greater good and all that jazz. Thoughts?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I still think saberist had the best over-arching story I've seen. (I've posted it in a previous thread). Very long post, but he tied up all the loose ends and even picked out some very strong leitmotifs from the previous games, all while providing a satisfying end for the male and female demographics.

And, yes, it did involve a degree of sacrifice.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

first: YAY MY TERM IS BEING USED!

And Second, I'm agreeing with the Dakari (Yes meta you were right) on the last page on those ideas

finially third: somtimes even a jedi joe can be in an epic as the central role. If he were to get caught between the republic and the jedi and he has to unravel whos evil who's not it could still be a fairly good story. I am just getting tired of the "Your Special" explanation of why you have to to the particular quest.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

If you are to become "just another Jedi", it is hard to build some "surprises / revelations" into the game. I have seen one game where you can play as "just another Jedi", this is Jedi Academy. And in Jedi Academy, are there any surprises in the storyline?! No, okay maybe the only surprises are who are fighting against but otherwise the story is just very very bad.

You assume that "just another Jedi" implies that Jedi is somehow weak or clumsy. That's not the case. All it means is he/she isn't widely considered the saviour of the galaxy.

For example, Revan fits into the "chosen one" category because he's lauded as the one that turned the tide in the war against the Mandalorians, saved the galaxy *before* the player even had a chance to play as him. The Exile, while not to the same degree, is similar in that he had a huge part in the Mandalorian wars *before* the player had access to him. In other words, these two characters were great before we, as gamers, even had a chance to mold their identity.

On the other hand, a "just another Jedi" hero could be just that. Someone who didn't have an outstanding past, or had no real backstory except that he was an average student at the Jedi Academy and then found himself in a situation where he had to act. And that's where we, the player, come in. We're the one that make him evolve into a greatness from nothing, rather than being given a great individual and told to save the galaxy with him.

In summary: Let us make the character become great. Don't hand us a character that is supposedly this all-powerful Jedi hero and then tell us to maintain that greatness.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If you are to become "just another Jedi", it is hard to build some "surprises / revelations" into the game. I have seen one game where you can play as "just another Jedi", this is Jedi Academy. And in Jedi Academy, are there any surprises in the storyline?! No, okay maybe the only surprises are who are fighting against but otherwise the story is just very very bad.

You assume that "just another Jedi" implies that Jedi is somehow weak or clumsy. That's not the case. All it means is he/she isn't widely considered the saviour of the galaxy.

For example, Revan fits into the "chosen one" category because he's lauded as the one that turned the tide in the war against the Mandalorians, saved the galaxy *before* the player even had a chance to play as him. The Exile, while not to the same degree, is similar in that he had a huge part in the Mandalorian wars *before* the player had access to him. In other words, these two characters were great before we, as gamers, even had a chance to mold their identity.

On the other hand, a "just another Jedi" hero could be just that. Someone who didn't have an outstanding past, or had no real backstory except that he was an average student at the Jedi Academy and then found himself in a situation where he had to act. And that's where we, the player, come in. We're the one that make him evolve into a greatness from nothing, rather than being given a great individual and told to save the galaxy with him.

In summary: Let us make the character become great. Don't hand us a character that is supposedly this all-powerful Jedi hero and then tell us to maintain that greatness.

This is one of the things that Fable actually did well. At least you got to start out as a boy and then shape the character from the ground up. Had we had the option to create the character with gender, looks, and all of that stuff, Fable would have been dramatically better just because of that aspect, IMO.

first: YAY MY TERM IS BEING USED!

And Second, I'm agreeing with the Pendak(?) on the last page on those ideas

finially third: somtimes even a jedi joe can be in an epic as the central role. If he were to get caught between the republic and the jedi and he has to unravel whos evil who's not it could still be a fairly good story. I am just getting tired of the "You're Special" explanation of why you have to to the particular quest.

1. It was a neat turn of phrase, so I thought I'd use it before it becomes clich

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I greatly agree with this. And if my opinions were to be used, this could be one way to make this scenario work.

metadigital, you're right on the button. TSL actually had a Prestige Class and Greater Presitige class system in order. If K3 were to go with my system, then the Jedi Knight class would be Prestige and the Jedi Master class would be Greater Prestige. The tools to do this are already there. They just need to be worked with and made more efficient.

The real problem I see with what you posted is that it would be pretty tough for a character to make the jump from padawan to knight much less all the way to master. Its assumed that a jedi would most likely spend decades in pursuit of the abilities that would make them a master. If we were to get rid of the "fake' classes I would most certainly like to see more realistic "leveling then.

What you say is true, but I use me example for the efficiency of the game. Each level working simultaneously with the other. Where when the PC becomes a Knight, his master becomes a Jedi Master and leaves the party, etc.

By the way, there are two ways a Knight can become a Master. The first is as you said; he/she can have or learn a skill of exceptional expertise or do something great.

The second is for him or her to successfully train a Padawan to Jedi Knighthood. And with the equal levelling working, this would be the most efficient way within the game.

Also, I never had any problem reaching level 30 in TSL. I did have this problem in K1 due to the level-cap, but that's a completely different issue. I guess I could change the level sequence to 1-9(Pad.) 10-19(Kni.) 20-...(Mas.) This might work a little better.

But if jumping from Padawan to Knight simply because of the level is a problem, then maybe the PC's master could give him/her a task (Jedi Trial) at level 9. When that task is completed the PC is given enough XP points to level up and become a Jedi Knight.

This notion was used in TSL when you reach level 15 (or is it 14?) When you talk to Kreia and become you're prestige class. Afterwards you are automatically give enough XP points to level-up again in your new class.

See, everything is already in use, it just needs to be worked out a little.

"Learn to harness your anger and control your fear. Dominate your emotions! But do not let them overcome you; for they can surely cause you to fall to the dark side.

If you expect to win against a Sith then you need to fight like a Sith! If you do not, you will always be met with defeat."

-- Jedi Master Seraphis Dakari

padawan/knight/master sounds like a good idea to me :wub:

maybe have jump etc as choosable feats for jedis, but each level of the feat corresponds with the class you are (like in K2 where you could only get force confusion when you achieved your prestige class)

jump = padawans

improved jump = knight

master jump = master

make sense?

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I guess I could agree with it that we don't have to rely on a characters history to build a good story for Kotor III. Indeed, the story would be something new if "something" happens in the story which makes it interesting. What I do not like to see however is that you are "some other Jedi" like Jaden Korr in Jedi Academy because that game truly failed in the storyline.

Master Vandar lives!

With all the problems of choosing a new PC, I sometimes think it'd be best if we just see a return of the exile in K3. At least with that, you wouldn't have to make a story compatible with eight different backstories, and you'd already have a force-user. As for levels, as I've said, the exile might still be a wound in the force, and so there might be some kind of event in the beginning where the exile loses his/her powers and has to start over.

As for Revan, my main gripe in K2 was that they talked about him so da** much, and then gave only a little blurb about the outcome of the character (he was fighting the 'True Sith'. I actually got sick of hearing about Revan in every single conversation. It was like the game wasn't all about you, it was about Revan. I hope that's not the case in K3. And from the way K2 ended, it's going to be a continuation nightmare. I actually wonder if they should have Revan make a return at the start of K3. It could begin in the midst of the True Sith war, with Revan being the Republic's main military leader and someone that is periodically mentioned in conversation, but not seen or talked to. But of course, they'd still have to provide closure on his/her character.

Revan (complete with mask) dies spectacularly at the beginning of K3, sacrificing her life in order to set off a chain reaction of events that sets up the denouement of the game. We never see Revan's face, nor do we determine whether Revan was Evil, Good pretending to be Evil, Good, or Evil pretending to be Good ... because the final act of the game requires the input from the protagonist to choose the outcome (or does the protagonist have a choice? Is the Force dictating everyone's moves? Turn in, same Jedi time, same Jedi channel ...)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

maybe have jump etc as choosable feats for jedis, but each level of the feat corresponds with the class you are (like in K2 where you could only get force confusion when you achieved your prestige class)

jump = padawans

improved jump = knight

master jump = master

make sense?

Makes perfect sense.

I don't know why I didn't think of that. I see that you and I are on the same ball. :(

"Learn to harness your anger and control your fear. Dominate your emotions! But do not let them overcome you; for they can surely cause you to fall to the dark side.

If you expect to win against a Sith then you need to fight like a Sith! If you do not, you will always be met with defeat."

Revan (complete with mask) dies spectacularly at the beginning of K3, sacrificing *her life in order to set off a chain reaction of events that sets up the denouement of the game.

*his :("

And as for Mothman's suggestion, I'd rather not play as a level 30 character at the beginning of the game or have a level 30 character mysteriously lose levels again just so we can play at level 1.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

PS: I would also like to see less party members than K2. However, I would like the ones we get to have deep and emotional story-lines for the PC to discover.

I don't know about anyone else, but I really get tired of hearing all there was to hear, have them stop at their certain point and then just begin repeating themselves all over again, and still feel like I've not discovered anything about them.

Their same story does begin to get a little old around the fifth or sixth time of re-hearing it. You know?

Revan (complete with mask) dies spectacularly at the beginning of K3, sacrificing *her life in order to set off a chain reaction of events that sets up the denouement of the game.

*her or his ;)"

And as for Mothman's suggestion, I'd rather not play as a level 30 character at the beginning of the game or have a level 30 character mysteriously lose levels again just so we can play at level 1.

Fixed! The beauty of the bemasked Revan dying in the early game is that no information about the character need be established, just the actions of Revan need to be judged for their consequences in the game.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Please NO! Don't let Revan die!

Revan should survive!

Is it so difficult to select a face for Revan and have a conversation about him/her to establish that he/she was good or bad?!

Come on, letting Revan or the Exile die is just too easy....

Master Vandar lives!

Heroes should be tragic. And there's no real use for Revan anymore, other than sacrifice. He's too powerful.

kirottu said:

Revan is a master strategist.

Revan sees the big picture: running about killing gizka is not what Revan's about, Revan is countermanding and circumventing the strategies of powerful forces, using all means (Light / Dark / Grey / Mandalorian / Bith / etcetra).

It is quite conceivable that a particularly deadly tactic would be suicidal, otherwise the bad guys would have defended themselves better.

Also, tragedy is good, when done right. (Bad is bad: tragedy, comedy or any entertainment.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Heroes should be tragic. And there's no real use for Revan anymore, other than sacrifice. He's too powerful.

I hope they use my Darth Vader suggestion, where Revan sacrifices himself at a key point against an enemy that is too powerful for the PC to handle, much like the Emperor was too powerful for Luke to defeat without Vader's help.

using all means (Light / Dark / Grey / Mandalorian / Bith / etcetra).

Not Pink?

Thank gods. I hated that thing back then. Anyone else know what I mean?

kirottu said: