KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

I just don't see what's the freaking point to speculate. There's going to be several years of evolvement in the crpg biz before "anything K3" comes out next.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

If that's true, then it gives us more time to speculate and come up with ideas and suggestions.

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

[random semi off topic musings]

I wonder if speculation on a non-KOTOR but still SW RPG can be put in this thread? ;)

Ever since that discussion of a possible non-Jedi centralized game, I've been more intrigued by that than KOTOR3.

[/random semi off topic musings]

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

To everyone except GoA(danm you for posting simultaneously!):

True, but souldn't you see what's going to happen before making wild guesses? For that matter; LucasArts might as well go bankrupt next year. It's certainly isn't well off.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

[random semi off topic musings]

I wonder if speculation on a non-KOTOR but still SW RPG can be put in this thread?  ;)

Ever since that discussion of a possible non-Jedi centralized game, I've been more intrigued by that than KOTOR3.

[/random semi off topic musings]

I remember making a thread about this. Good subject. Make a new one?

kirottu said:

I bet they'd just close it and link to this one. That's what seems to be happening to any SW-type RPG discussion, regardless of whether it mentions K3 directly or not.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Oh well; no harm done if we just speculate here then?

What could be the games, shall we say, focus, then? The character(/s) should have some kind of agenda. In crpgs it's usually an universal threat of some kind. In SW however this is mostly characterized by Sith, leading us back to jedis. Any ideas how to overcome this?

kirottu said:

I bet they'd just close it and link to this one.  That's what seems to be happening to any SW-type RPG discussion, regardless of whether it mentions K3 directly or not.

Then take the "SW" reference out, and replace it with something else, like, say "a large, multinational planet-eating conglomerate franchise that may or may not have aesthete character classes which embody a quasi-religious doctrine and manifest power through their faith", or something ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Oh well; no harm done if we just speculate here then?

What could be the games, shall we say, focus, then? The character(/s) should have some kind of agenda. In crpgs it's usually an universal threat of some kind. In SW however this is mostly characterized by Sith, leading us back to jedis. Any ideas how to overcome this?

Yep, just have some other, more relevant or urgent problem.

Remember, issues are may be categorised along two axes: Urgency and Importance. Issues that are both urgent and important are dealt with first. Then any other urgent issues, regardless of importance. This is where the local plot can take over from the over-arching one; where a non-Jedi-Sith plot can flourish. ;)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Meta has the knack of lingo again. ;)

*applauds*

So, any ideas?

kirottu said:

Both.

Read tha edit, bw.

kirottu said:

In crpgs it's usually an universal threat of some kind. In SW however this is mostly characterized by Sith, leading us back to jedis. Any ideas how to overcome this?

Not necessarily. I hate using the EU as an example because, well, a lot of the EU novels and ideas are pure crap. However, just as an illustration I'll use it to point out that in many of the novels, especially the ones post-RotJ, the main antagonists that are a threat to the galaxy are non-Force sensitive.

Think of the Thrawn Trilogy. That would be a very good time to have a non-Jedi story for a cRPG because the main antagonist (Thrawn and the Imperial Remnant) are non-Force sensitive.

I know a lot of people hate the Yuuzhan Vong, but another example of non-Force sensitive beings that threaten the galaxy on a wide scale, yet can be fought by non-Force sensitives.

I think that you need Force sensitives in the KOTOR series, because that's what the series focusses on, but given a different story I see it being quite easy, actually, to craft worthwhile villains that don't rely on the Force.

Some interplanetary big corporate for example? Or big criminal organisations?

Would people buy them? I remember back in my thread almost none of the 'fans' wanted a non-jedi SW game.

Edit: How about a personal quest? Or is that a bit too radical? Does SW need to be epic?

kirottu said:

Would people buy them? I remember back in my thread almost none of the 'fans' wanted a non-jedi SW game.

Depends what forum you ask that on. ;)

I think that a lot of people on this forum seem to be in favor of a game where they're not forced to play as a Jedi, or where the story isn't focussed on the Jedi/Sith.

If you asked on the lucasarts forums, you'd get yelled at in 1337 speak.

Edit: How about a personal quest? Or is that a bit too radical? Does SW need to be epic?

I don't think it has to be. I'm not sure how a non-epic SW game will sell, but I think if the story is well written, people will overlook it.

Personally, I'd just want to explore SW space without any, shall we say, 'echoes'. The force is nothing special anymore. Back in the movies it was mystical, but nowadays it's just a tool. A stat. Pfft.

kirottu said:

I think that's one of the reasons I'm interested in a non-Jedi centric plot. It seems the Force has been simplified down to just the SW equivalent of "magic". And thus it's no longer the interesting entity it was in the movies, it's more a method now of making your character super dooper powerful.

I could do without a "magic" element after having experienced it twice in the KOTOR series.

Well, there are (at least) two schools of thought: start with interesting characters and build a story around them, or start with a plot and add some characters.

Interesting characters: let's try and avoid the rogue-with-a-heart-of-gold, the prince-in-pauper's clothing, the drow/orc orphan (equivalent) brought up by elves/humans and wants revenge on all their evil kind ...

Positive characters. Hmm. Well, they should be interesting and different.

How about a murderer, who is forced to help people he (because 98% of violent human criminals are male) doesn't like in order to achieve a personal goal (i.e. save his own skin)? Nah, that's been done before, too.

It's not easy! Good writing is just like any sort of invention: 2% inspiration and 98% perspiration.

How about plots? Hook up with a bunch of different people to kill some big baddie, seems natural enough. The more that you meet and cajole into your effort, the easier the final battle is (but the more that can betray you ...) and there should be a time limit, some remorseless timer (not too short, just enough to ensure that some of us *ahem me* don't explore every virtual square micrometer) so that there is a palpable sense of urgency.

How's that for a start?

We need some good characters to hook the narrative on.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Indeed.

How about no jedi? :lol:

kirottu said:

Re-thinking my earlier post, I would not be so hard on the character sketches. After all, I think there is a degree of enjoyment that we seem to derive from clich

I think that was the major fault(instead of being clich

kirottu said:

and i could think kotor 3 as

kotor 0: the fall of exar khun.

it could be interesting... :lol:

i mean, we've heard so much about the mandalorian wars

and exar khun and all those sith lords.

don't you almost want to be there...?

Nah, Exar is the epitome of a munchkin.

kirottu said: