Closing Threads

EnderAndrew

I'd have to unignore Nur Ab Sal and pour over them again, but he made several posts stating that Jews were genocidal people who wanted to see all non-Jews dead, most evil people are white, most Jews are racist, most Americans are racist, terrorism is a justified tactic, killing innocent civilians is justifiable, etc.

I reported several of these posts, and after the moderators returned from their week long July 4th vacation and started closing threads left and right, I went back to discover the posts I had reported were still there.

hate to say it steve but considering the post's have been deleted I doubt we'll see any form of linkage.

I do find that some topic's are being closed almost arbitrairly, Other are left to rot with spam. the Char look alike thread was closed within the past couple of hours and that stayed completly on topic (most of the time), especially within the past few day's after sombody revived it. Others were killed when people seemed to be getting back on topic . All in all I agree with ender that the reign's need to be loosend (but not let slip) because we have nothing to really talk about unless you A) find somthing really obscure about TSL. B) try to make an idea fly in the NJ board without having it get spammed to death because there's nothing else to do. or C) attempt to start a thread wondering what games you should buy and seeing what the others think (these usually end up with people suggesting the same thing over and over and over again.)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It's possible that the policy is just to let threads die. If there's racist comment somewhere, but the thread is already on page 2 when the moderator reads it, then maybe it's just left. Or perhaps if the thread gets bogged down with spam and closed for that reason, racist comments might be overlooked or ignored.

If that is indeed the policy, then I strongly disagree with it. I think any post with racist comments should be deleted, the poster warned, and the moderator should lock the thread with a clear statement that the reason the thread was closed was because of a racist post. What do you think - is that too harsh? It's a shame to lose an entire thread because of one idiot comment, but it's better than giving the appearance that racism, or any other form of discrimination, is tolerated.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Anything outright stated in the forum rules deserves handing out a warning, especially racism. Let me check to see if I can find any of the posts.

This is one such thread, but not the only one.

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=35484

And I imagine individual posts can be deleted within a thread.

In practice, the moderation policy is very inconsistent. I think this maybe because the mods are reactive rather than proactive, they probably only investigate something after a complaint. In the rare instance a mod roams the board looking for trouble, it seems they only respond to horseplay or outright flaming.

The only question I have with the mods is where the rest are? I havent seen anyone else than poor Fionavar and until a few months ago; Phosphor. These guys Antimatter and Hydrogen havent been logged in for a year or so :D

...there's that Crazy Joe in the KoTOR forums of course

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

All global mods (except Phosphor) have been active this month (July)

And, we also seem to have a new Global Moderator in town, J.E. Sawyer.

Who is also very active on here...

And locking a whole post because of one comment is OverKill... might aswell just remove that single post, and put a flaming PM in the guy who posted it's box...

And to Calax:

Maybe the Console Shooters got back on-topic. It is undeniable more than 80% of the posts in the whole topic was spam

And about the Char-look-alikes; Maybe you haven't visited it the past 2 weeks, but calling it "on-topic" isn't quite true. While it was about chars and real-life people who look on it, but the latest 20 or so pages it wasn't that, instead it was Katt, Katt, Katt, Nicky and posts about that...

Yet with the racist comments I did complain and I saw no action.  I was shocked.

Maybe becouse those comments were denouncing racism of some groups, while not being racist itself? And are you really so dumb, that you can't see a difference between racism and antiracism? Or are you just trying to twist the reality?

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

racism, n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

You single out races and call them evil and racist. Declaring entire groups of people out of hand to be racist is racist yourself.

Futhermore, there is no justification for siding with terrorists and murderers. If I were a mod, you would be banned.

That is anti-logic what you are saying. But let's play according to your sick anti-logic. Jews declared whole nations as antisemitic (ex. Poles)... and anti-semitism is considered as racism. So Jews are racist... :p

I can side with whoever I want. What you say, is silencing opposition of your own

world view. And that's authoritarian.

BTW Didn't you say that I am on your ignore list? God, another lie of yours. :)"

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

You two; shut up now. Getting to fight just leads to this threads closure. And I want some answers from the mods before that. I rather doubt Ender started this thread for it to be plunged to flamy doom. Let's not go there.

Anyway; I miss Phosphor's posts too. He's one of the few regulars I usually agreed with when I first started lurking. No wonder they made him a mod.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Indeed. Thank you.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

That is anti-logic what you are saying. But let's play according to your sick anti-logic. Jews declared whole nations as antisemitic (ex. Poles)... and anti-semitism is considered as racism. So Jews are racist... :wacko:

I can side with whoever I want. What you say, is silencing opposition of your own

world view. And that's authoritarian.

BTW Didn't you say that I am on your ignore list? God, another lie of yours. :-"

I know I am feeding the troll, but I cannot control my outrage and disgust.

You, sir, are the worst kind of bigot: one who blames the victim as justification. I am ashamed to share the world with your ilk.

I admit there are extremist Jews; there are extremists in every creed. However, they are a distinct minority and their opinions should not be viewed as the beliefs of the remainder. To do so is morally and logically reprehensible.

Also, the Jews have suffered more acts of racism than almost any other group throughout history. I think they have the right to declare an area or country dangerous to Jews. Many countries do the same thing when warning their citizens to avoid areas where Westerners are viewed unfavorably and could be hurt. To not protect your own would be the crime.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Whats the argument about really? If ethnic groups whove been subjected to racist violence can be said to be racist themselves?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I do not deny that such is possible. I simply believe Nur overstates the truth and projects his prejudice onto an entire ethnic group. Generalization in such cases is deeply wrong.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Jews can be racist just as easy as other people can be racist towards jews, that much is obvious, yes? I don't see what point people here are trying to make.

I can't, however, understand how good old Indy can say such nasty things! I mean, this is one of my childhood heroes! :'(

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I'd have to unignore Nur Ab Sal and pour over them again, but he made several posts stating that Jews were genocidal people who wanted to see all non-Jews dead, most evil people are white, most Jews are racist, most Americans are racist, terrorism is a justified tactic, killing innocent civilians is justifiable, etc.

I reported several of these posts, and after the moderators returned from their week long July 4th vacation and started closing threads left and right, I went back to discover the posts I had reported were still there.

Ender, give Fionar (or Hydrogen or any of the mods) a PM. I know that Fionavar is very responsive (I have done this before), and polite and helpful.

As for the content of Way Off-Topic, I would estimate it is for discussions that start in the normal fora, but then a side issue is raised that is not relevant to the topic (or KotOR) and thus is "taken Off-Topic".

I don't think it is carte blanche to discuss anything and everything.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I have had threads deleted that I started in Way Off Topic before anyone even responded.

And just for a random example, the Ask Ender advice thread was deleted not because it was off-topic, but because a seperate thread started by another user was Bioware-Bashing, but it was called Ask Karzak.

Therefore, all advice threads had to go. I was told that advice threads were now considered spam.

What topics themselves are considered spam inherently and what aren't in Way Off Topic? And shouldn't people have more rein for Way Off Topic posts in Way Off Topic?

Moderating (semi) bashing threads should not be made. It is wiser to address any moderation questions to the moderators through PM. They are likely to react more reasoanbly when you don't make a show to call them out in public. The rest of us, as well, don't need to see the moderator drama espicially when reasonable here on the Obsidian boards KNOW that the mods her are PERFECT.

Thank you.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.