Closing Threads

EnderAndrew

Well, all I can say is that the moderation doesn't really bother me that much. This is the only forum of three that I frequent that has active moderation, and as such, I can't really say that much about it I guess. What does bother me is how some people can't seem to stop flaming or arguing in a derogatory manner, and how they actually seem serious about what they're typing. Fortunately threads with that usually end up getting locked, so all's good.

Over-sized signatures are one of my personal beefs - and I'm not on dial-up. Just think they're too eye-sore-ish. :D that sig could be cut down to 125 pix high 20-30kb and it would still be clearly readable/viewable.

You can turn the view signatures off I think, in the profile section - if you're on dial-up sometimes it's the best defense.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Talking about big sigs...ehmmm...

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I think he is trying to say that LadyCrimson has a fairly large signature...

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

A function I would really like to see (but one that I'll never get) is the ability to 'ban' certain people on these forums from the threads I, myself, start. There are some people on these forums that are so ignorant and simple minded that their participation in any discussion never adds anything but anger and derailment. If I could stop those people beforehand from posting in the threads started by myself, I'd be a much happier (and less aggressive) board member.

I dont think its that bad really and I would hate for someone with an opinion to be shut out of the debate. Nurbs & co have a habit of getting people upset by insensitive and rather ineloquent posts, but very often they do have a point with what theyre saying. But by the time theyve manage to express that grain of sense, everyones already too riled up to hear anything else.

If we could shut out people we didnt agree with, the threads would just be displays of us righteous chums patting eachother on our collective backs. :p

edit:

you cant seriously say that Crimsons sig is too large..what resolution are you running really? 640x480?!?!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

*does the dance of no sig picture*

thinks: I miss that show

I too, would like to weigh in for Fionavar, even if I DO think that pic is a 1:1 scale pic of him/her, and thus not threatening. I'd rather have too many threads closed than too few.

My only caveat would be that a degree of tangentialism is inherent in all social interaction. A little bit of off-topic banter is what keeps a thread alive, between people having meaty thoughts on the subject at hand. Thus perhaps small on-topic 'holidays' ought to be considered.

In conclusion: Donkeys.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A function I would really like to see (but one that I'll never get) is the ability to 'ban' certain people on these forums from the threads I, myself, start. There are some people on these forums that are so ignorant and simple minded that their participation in any discussion never adds anything but anger and derailment. If I could stop those people beforehand from posting in the threads started by myself, I'd be a much happier (and less aggressive) board member.

I dont think its that bad really and I would hate for someone with an opinion to be shut out of the debate. Nurbs & co have a habit of getting people upset by insensitive and rather ineloquent posts, but very often they do have a point with what theyre saying. But by the time theyve manage to express that grain of sense, everyones already too riled up to hear anything else.

If we could shut out people we didnt agree with, the threads would just displays of us righteous chums patting eachother on our collective backs. :lol:

I think he said it best.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I think he is trying to say that LadyCrimson has a fairly large signature...

Heh...I realize 'over-sized' is subjective, but I hardly think my sig pic is anywhere near the league of the one Di was referring to. Mine's smaller than most, even.

I actually had a 1-line text-only sig for a long time but eventually made the pic. :)

Anyway....I'll shut up now. :lol:"

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

No, actually your sig is fairly small considering it's with an image.

My point was that there are quite a few bigger and more annoying sigantures on this forum. And draakhie changes his sig image fairly often. Those PBF strips look best on that size, you know?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I don't know about you people, but I find nothing at all wrong with LadyCrimson's sig. :lol:

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

Atton's Motivation July 30: CHAPTER 26 is up!

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

For the record, I dont understand why a sig picture is ever necessary. You have an avatar. If we wanted random pictures, why not just have a random pictures thread?

As for objectionable people, I've always felt it was better to have nitiwits I don't like posting where I can keep an eye on them and refute their claims than elsewhere I can't get at 'em, and someone credulous might believe them! :lol:

thinks: tangentialism ahoy!

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You can also thumbnail a sig pic if you feel it won't shrink well and still be readable. It is just a suggestion.

I also understand that on the issue with Nur, I am probably coming across as a jerk for calling someone one. I think taking a hardline stance on most anything is generally unpopular. However, all I am asking is that the forum rules be upheld.

I hate censorship, and normally I am all about free speech. But this is a private forum and there are rules that need to be upheld here. Racism is not cool.

If we could shut out people we didnt agree with, the threads would just be displays of us righteous chums patting eachother on our collective backs. :lol:

Well, that would be abusing the function. Using it would be (for example, not to be taken literally) when you start a thread about your favourite game and some idiot keeps posting over and over how bad the game is. It adds nothing to the discussion and starts flame wars. In those cases I just wish the function was there, as I've had several of my threads closed because the idiot kept repeating the same thing over and over ad nauseum until a flame fest erupted.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I hate censorship, and normally I am all about free speech.  But this is a private forum and there are rules that need to be upheld here.  Racism is not cool.

Agreed.

I think draakh kimera's sig could be a quarter of the size and still clear and legible. I'm surprised the boards have a strict limit for avatar size but not for sig size, but then you can turn the sigs off.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Thinking about what you boys have said since my last post, I would amend my stance slightly. There are some things that should not be stood for. I wouldn't want to have to draft a list of them, but they do exist. For comparison, consider that we cannot allude to sexual themes or what might be considered generally offensive sexual acts. But generally offensive political themes are somehow OK.

-Elwood Blues

If we could shut out people we didnt agree with, the threads would just be displays of us righteous chums patting eachother on our collective backs. :thumbsup:

Well, that would be abusing the function. Using it would be (for example, not to be taken literally) when you start a thread about your favourite game and some idiot keeps posting over and over how bad the game is. It adds nothing to the discussion and starts flame wars. In those cases I just wish the function was there, as I've had several of my threads closed because the idiot kept repeating the same thing over and over ad nauseum until a flame fest erupted.

I think the easiest solution to this is something I'd like to see the moderating staff do more often, and that is prune topics rather than lock them. Delete the offending posts, and leave the topic for those who were enjoying on-topic conversation.

I had thought of that but i think its probably too much to expect the mods to sift through posts and decide what might and might not be spam. Its just easier to lock. After all there is nothing preventing anyone restarting a particular thread just so long as it doesnt break forum rules and doesnt have too broad a scope. Having said that, Fio does prune posts that flagrantly flout forum rules... :thumbsup:"

I agree that it is more work. Then again locking a thread for a few spammers when other people were on topic seems to punish others unfairly, and discourage good on-topic conversations.

Perhaps one of the reasons the board has so much spam lately is because there aren't enough good conversations to keep us occupied? If good conversation was encouraged, that alone might help cut down on spam.

And locking a thread still allows spam to remain which inflates post count, and entertains people enough to continue to spam. Deleting those posts sends a messages to spammers.

_Maybe_ spammers should get warned then told to pod off?

-Elwood Blues