Female romance discussion

I'm in the same boat. I'm a guy, and I'm 34.

If anything though in Mira's case, I really consider her the Han Solo-esque character in the game. She's very mercenary, and despite what she says, she doesn't really mean it. BUT, she wants you to think she means it. Handmaiden just simply got on my nerves to no end. Whenever I talked to HK-47, I wanted to say, "HK-47, you'll find love, in the cargo hold.... Just don't make a mess."

Leia is correct. Teenage boys are much less appreciative, and much less likely to pick up on the emotional aspect, when the visual aspect tends to be the driving force behind most of their perceptions.

After the lesson, she mentions something about Bao-Dur's thoughts being too alien & whatnot, but you can tell her that you were able to hear him (or lie about being able to hear him if you want to). I've always wondered if that was meant to have some sort of impact on Malachor V if the original ending had been implemented, but I digress!

In a cut sequence near the end of the game, you read the thoughts of your crewmembers while they think you're dead. Bao-Dur's lines, and voice-acting (/StreamVoice/003/pcdead2, 25 to 31) are FANTASTIC. This adds a hell of a lot to his character: he *knows* things. sigh.

The lines:

Your command echoes still, General. And I obey, as I did at Malachor V.

I have destroyed planets for you, General. But now, this once, if we could save something in this galaxy... (or, if DS: Now, Malachor V comes to us. And I wish to face it, this last time.)

I need to do this, or I will die inside. Like I died at Malachor V.

I know you can hear me. I have always known. It is why I followed you.

You know where you must go. It calls to you still.

{Reverent, pronouncement of doom, then sad at the end}And she must be stopped, there, now, or she will bring the screams of Malachor V to the galaxy - just as we carried the echo all this way.

I am following my fish.

A temporary home for stranded ML'ers

Face it girls, we got jibbed, as we always do.

At least we actually got to play as females if we wanted, I would have liked to have been able to do that in Fable.

My views on the male characters:

Atton - He was awesome, I loved him. I think he is hot even though he wasn't that great looking, his personality made up for it.

Bao-dur - I loved him too, in an older brother kind of way. I loved how his horns and tattooes made a nice contrast with his gentle voice and softspoken-ness.

Disiple - He annoyed me, I enjoyed insulting the stuck up pretty boy.

Carth - Didn't feel anything for Carth, he was a bit of a goodie goodie and wasn't really my type, I guess.

Oh, and if anyone is interested in the people behind the voices, this is Bao-dur: Roger Smith Atton: Nicky Katt (he's kinda cute!) and the full list in case anyone wants to look more up: Kotor cast

okay, random ramblings:

Really, I didn't think the female romances were significantly worse than the male romances - but it does seem like the guys got a little more flirting. And they definitely got better sexual euphemisms ("sparring in your underwear" versus "meditating together," "force sex" versus "playing pazaak in the c0ckpit" - okay, so those both suck). And I wish that Handmaiden had been romanceable (heck, takeable) by female characters too, as it seems she may have been intended to be, way back when.

I was kinda grumpy about what I thought were female-specific lines for Atton turning out to be for both male and female ("Get away from her/him!" etc). But then it kinda made me like him more. But then I still kinda wished for something more - I really wanted more flirting, more teasing, like with Carth.

Or, y'know. I just wanted Carth back. :thumbsup:

Nicky Katt's voicing was fantastic a lot of the time, but he deadpanned a fair amount of the more emotional lines (most of them, admittedly, cut lines).

And again, I love Bao-Dur after hearing those cut lines. Looooove.

I am following my fish.

No way. I cannot believe that Nicky Katt did the voice for Atton! I used to watch Boston Public all the time and he was my favorite character. Geez, even now it's really hard to imagine him giving Atton's lines, he did a great delivery of those lines. I especially love the way he says "Yeah!" like when fighting with Disciple or after the expedition to Freedon Nadd's tomb.

If, ahem, anyone wants to make an audio mix of the mindreading scene, here's the correct order for the second version of it. Again, the sound files are located in /StreamVoice/003/pcdead2

Mira: {Player is reading her mind, these are her thoughts, sense of slight despair, like all might be lost, "Everyone is"}...going to lose their lives, like I lost my family at Malachor V.

Disciple: {These are his thoughts as he's thinking to himself, player is reading his mind without him knowing}And all the Jedi who followed Revan, the true Jedi, died at Malachor V.

IF MALE: Handmaiden: {Player is reading her mind, these are her thoughts, player is reading her mind without her knowing}...and father left me, left us all, when he lost all that he loved at Malachor V.

Visas: {Player is reading her mind, these are her thoughts, she doesn't know she is being read}Your ship, my prison, that you dragged from the gravity well at Malachor V.

Atton: {These are his thoughts as he's thinking to himself, despairing, player is reading his mind without him knowing}...wish I'd never met him/her, wish I'd died there, that the storms had dragged me down into Malachor V.

Mandalore: {These are his thoughts as he's thinking to himself, player is reading his mind without him knowing}We will not surrender, we will not die... like we did Malachor V.

Bao-Dur: Your command echoes still, General. And I obey, as I did at Malachor V.

I have destroyed planets for you, General. But now, this once, if we could save something in this galaxy...

(or, if DS: Now, Malachor V comes to us. And I wish to face it, this last time.)

I need to do this, or I will die inside. Like I died at Malachor V. I know you can hear me. I have always known. It is why I followed you. You know where you must go. It calls to you still. {Reverent, pronouncement of doom, then sad at the end}And she must be stopped, there, now, or she will bring the screams of Malachor V to the galaxy - just as we carried the echo all this way.

I am following my fish.

But didn't Kreia foretell that both Revan and the Exile had to go to some place where they cannot take their beloved ones with them?  Not a good sign for any of the KotOR II romances to be continued ...

You still trust Kreia?? o:)

Yes, I do; the moment she died she probably said the truth. - And even before: she never lied to me ... although I have to admit that she lied to the Handmaiden.

I think the fact the Kriea can't see Bao-Dur at all bodes well for him in KotOR3... if they bring back the Exile at all.  :devil:

Hmmm ... now that sounds convincing. If she can't tell anything about Bao-Dur, then there's really some hope that Bao-Dur can be back in KotOR III, and can go with the Exile (or the next Hero) to the Ends of the Galaxy and beyond.

Yes, General! :ermm:

Well, as you said Kreia's speech indicated pretty much that any romance continues would end after Darth Traya's academy, i believe it had to do with you and Revan having to fight the true sith out in the outer rim, as i Believed she said the ones you fought was Children compared to the Sith out in the outer rim :D

And I think it is because there aren't enough female developers to give their input on what a REAL relationship entails for both males and females, respectively.

It's funny, because Gaider apparently got a lot of input from female fans when he wrote his Carth/Revan romance.

And admittedly, it does come off better than the Bastilla/Revan romance. :)

Of course, his endings were a bit mushy though. :D

It wasn't too mushy...it could've been a lot worse. How many ways can you have a character confessing, 'I love you' without it sounding a little mushy though?

It's good to see some faces behind the voices!

But yes, the Carth romance was a lot better than the Bastila romance.

So I wonder if someone will do a KotOR II mod, like the KotOR I Romance Mod that makes romances acceessible regardless of gender. And I wonder if, unlike that mod, it will make male romances available to male PCs. I can always dream.

Unfortunately, this might result in the dialogues making no sense. I've never played a female PC in either game and don't really expect I will at any point (I can't be certain, but I don't think I've EVER played a female PC in a CRPG - just can't really identify), so I wouldn't know. I could really go for a coherent non-gender-bias Carth romance though. Atton I don't know if I could be bothered with, even if random flirtation wasn't incomprehensible in a non-hetero context.

So I wonder if someone will do a KotOR II mod, like the KotOR I Romance Mod that makes romances acceessible regardless of gender.  And I wonder if, unlike that mod, it will make male romances available to male PCs.  I can always dream.

Well, I'm certain that one will be coming out. I would like to do such a mod myself as part of my efforts to expand the depth of the game. Of first importance would be to restore the original content and things we have recorded lines for. But if people are willing to put up with voiceless dialog, a lot could be added.

Well...I'm very frustrated with Disciple. I can never get him to answer the question 'Do you hate the Jedi...' (to which he responds, with not enough influence, 'the problems with the Jedi are my own...) no matter how much influence I get with him. Someone said that there is a bug that doesn't allow you to unlock this conversation if you've already had influence: failure once, so restarted and went and fetched him again and did not talk to him until I had gained maximum influence with him. However, still no luck! >.<

Well...I'm very frustrated with Disciple. I can never get him to answer the question 'Do you hate the Jedi...' (to which he responds, with not enough influence, 'the problems with the Jedi are my own...) no matter how much influence I get with him. Someone said that there is a bug that doesn't allow you to unlock this conversation if you've already had influence: failure once, so restarted and went and fetched him again and did not talk to him until I had gained maximum influence with him. However, still no luck! >.<

I think he just says that he doesn't hate them or something similar.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

You get that report as a male PC - the Disciple returns to Khoonda, and when you enter Khoonda, you get a cutscene with him saying "Admiral, this is Mical.  I've found the Exile."

yeah I've forgotten about that.

But it is annoying that when you have him as party member he doesn't give out his name.

Handmaiden is also annoying for the same reason.

EDIT: They could at least have used some fake names

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom