Darkside Playthrough

In the first game it was easier because you could make up motives for yourself.  I usually set up what I want the story to be before I play.  So when I want a darkside character I just think of how he would act and what his motavation is.  I don't just blatenly do evil things for no purpose...

Disagree. All the dark side choices in the first one consisted of pure brutality and meanness. Kreia gives you quite a compelling rationale in the second one. Each cruel act is a means to weed out weakness in the galaxy and strengthen it for the threat that is to come. Ends justify the means stuff.

Exactly, this game, Kreia, your mentor, who is supposedly an aged jedi...is really a Sith Lord....this whole game's philosophy and guidence is based on the Sith Teachings....weeding out weakness to make the galaxy stronger.....it's just like what they taught in the Sith Academy on Korriban in KOTOR 1.....that's why I loved KOTOR 2...until the rushed ending of course (which actually has grown on me) KOTOR 2 is all about the Darkside and teaching their point of view.....

Revan and Malak manipulated you.....kreia manipulated you....the Jedi Order lied to you.....and tried to kill you and take away your force powers....even though they said they didn't take it away before...they tried it now....All of the guilt of the Mandelorian wars ppl blame you for M 5, and The Sith are hunting you across the galaxy......feel the anger building up inside you....take action and control over your own destiny and show them what the darkside is all about...after all, it's been dominating your life ever since the Wars.....

Once again....I don't see motivation for playing Lightside in KOTOR 2...

Guest Damar Stiehl
Hiya guys,

I thought i would try the darkside playthrough, since on Kotor I, the darkside was easier since you got more cash from *cough* extortion *cough*.

I finished Telos and Dantooine and i got to Nar Shaddaa and i just got a VERY deep sense of guilt and i stopped and i had to sit down and one a romance movie to cheer me up.

I guess i am too much of a good guy.

I had no problem in killing Vrook, since i personally thought he was an arrogant S.O.B. lol

I have no idea how you lot manage to do it without feeling guilty.

I managed to get to the end part, where you kill Mission on Kotor I and i couldn't do it. :)

I am a goody-little-two shoe.

Wimp.

Hiya guys,

I thought i would try the darkside playthrough, since on Kotor I, the darkside was easier since you got more cash from *cough* extortion *cough*.

I finished Telos and Dantooine and i got to Nar Shaddaa and i just got a VERY deep sense of guilt and i stopped and i had to sit down and one a romance movie to cheer me up.

I guess i am too much of a good guy.

I had no problem in killing Vrook, since i personally thought he was an arrogant S.O.B. lol

I have no idea how you lot manage to do it without feeling guilty.

I managed to get to the end part, where you kill Mission on Kotor I and i couldn't do it. :(

I am a goody-little-two shoe.

It's just a game dude :)

Help the people on Dantoonine then have them spend those 4000 creds on a huge statue in my honour.

I was disappointed that you could never actually see the statue being built. A brief little cutscene showing the statue in the beginning stages of construction the next time you visited Dantooine would have been cool. Then having the option to berate the artists working on it for their shoddy craftsmanship would've been icing on the cake :D

Lord Satasn I like your reasoning ;)  :thumbsup:

You gave me a new perspective to play as a DS once again.

Well of course, now your eyes are open! That is why I am the Dark Lord, well I'm not really but Lord Satasn is in my stories I wrote haha....I'm not that big of geek that actually thinks he's someone...or am I?

if I start getting followers then I might consider it

:devil:

Hi all. It was nice to see in this posting that I'm not the only one who had a hard time playing through on the DS. However, one cool thing that I did get out of it in this game, as opposed to KOTOR 1, was a broader view of the story. In order to get access to certain cut scenes, as well as gain influence with certain characters, you HAD to be evil in this game. In KOTOR 1 it was merely a choice. In this game you had to delve into the DS to gain a fuller understanding of the story as a whole. This is also what Kreia did in her persuit of the "truth", and what we find out Revan did in order to prepare for a final battle with the true Sith. A very deep and complex idea to bring to a video game, and Obsidian did it very well. As for the abrupt ending, it was abrupt due to time constraints imposed by LA, not Obsidian (in all likelihood), and at least now, with the revelations coming out from those digging in the remaining PC files, the true ending can now be known.

I just started my first DS game through KotOR II and already I dont like it. I mean how am I supposed to gain influence with my party if I'm a total jerk to them? Also, how is the ending chosen? I've already done an LS game and I didnt see any spot where I could switch if I wanted to. Meaning, does this game have a spot like the temple in the first game?

I was reluctant to play DS through again. Somehow killing the innocents made me feel kinda sad. And Di complaining about my spirit, made me feel sad too.

From what I can tell, you can mostly "talk the talk" without actually having to "walk the walk" when playing DS. You still have to do the bribry and exthortion stuff, but you don't really have to kill any innocents. The ones you do have to kill had it comming anyway :unsure:.

I was reluctant to play DS through again. Somehow killing the innocents made me feel kinda sad. And Di complaining about my spirit, made me feel sad too.

From what I can tell, you can mostly "talk the talk" without actually having to "walk the walk" when playing DS. You still have to do the bribry and exthortion stuff, but you don't really have to kill any innocents. The ones you do have to kill had it comming anyway o:).

I know. I didn't mind planting my lightsaber on some people who were just itching for lightsaber-scratching. But when I played DS, I played it all the way, from choosing the most evil dialog options, to whacking, killing anyone that I can, even without reason. :) Of course, I had to be nice to my companions to gain influence which can be quite frustrating. Major anti-climax.

So, just try to play a non stereotypical bad guy. Just choose some evil options. You don't have to be radical. Just imagine what you can think if you are evil :

- Why are you evil ?

- Do you think you are evil ? You can think you just do to people what they deserve and you can choose the winner camps (Czerka, Exchange, Mercenaries, Vaklu).

- What is your evil philosophy ? Do you want to teach people how hard the world is ? By giving them exemples ?

In real life, most evil people think they did the right thing. If you take a look at both sides during a war, they all claim to bo the good guys.

So, just try to play a non stereotypical bad guy. Just choose some evil options. You don't have to be radical. Just imagine what you can think if you are evil :

- Why are you evil ?

- Do you think you are evil ? You can think you just do to people what they deserve and you can choose the winner camps (Czerka, Exchange, Mercenaries, Vaklu).

- What is your evil philosophy ? Do you want to teach people how hard the world is ? By giving them exemples ?

In real life, most evil people think they did the right thing. If you take a look at both sides during a war, they all claim to bo the good guys.

I started a new game last night and decided to play a female DS character.

Her views on things are simple...she is a pure Megalomaniac. :p

Tsel :lol:

You know what is interesting?

The outcome of some of these side-quests are actually MORE satisfying if you use DS tactics compared to LS... And I don't mean just being a selfish thug either.

For example:

Citadel Station - The Don Hetta/Dancer Quest

What I did was buy the Dancer, but not take her back to her boyfriend who lost her in the Pazzak game. I told him (the boyfriend) that I couldn't convince Don Hetta to let her go (even though I already owned her) and then spoke to Luxa and had her goons beat the crap out of Don Hetta and had him pay me 2,000 credits to let him live...

And I was a LS character as well!

I did take a DS hit (as far as allignment went), but at that point I could afford it and it was just a more realistic approach to the situation because Don Hetta hopefully learned his lesson and won't enslave people any more (I think you can even have him pledge never to do that again if you let him live as a condition along with the 2000 credits).

Unfortunately, this kind of quest is the only one that I could find where a DS option really IS worth it... Regardless of what allignment you are playing as.

Some of the other side-quests have similar outcomes/options... But they aren't as satisfying as this one because most of the time you still get to kill genuine bad guys if you are a LS so there is no point in taking a DS hit if you are trying for LS mastery.

===

RE: Acting when you play a RPG...

Acting is not pretending. Acting is reacting to the truth of the moment.

Unfortunately, for me, I just can't "react to the truth of the moment" because it is in fact a video game as opposed to me responding to another living, breathing person and the situation we've been put into (like real actors do).

Perhaps in 100 years when RPGs are like the Star Trek Holo Deck where we are physically standing in virtual worlds interacting with virtual people and put in virtual situations that have more "real" consequences. Hmm...

I suck at playing DS. I've tried but I can't... I'm such a depressing soul. But light and airy too? Oh screw it... I'll probably play DS, sucking up the 20+ hours of evilness and such... I almost died when I did the DS K1 ending. When I killed Mission I wanted to stop right there. But I turned on invulnerability and turbo & just sort of ran to Malak.

signature2.jpg

Fanfics:

KotOR II: After the Credits Rolled: Read

Force Sight: Read

Other:

Gaming Blog: Read

Everytime I tried playing it straight DS I end up going grey. It's funny sometimes, dumb other times. I just can't be a total ****. Kotor 1 was like being a evil idiot, besides the Mission thing that was clever. Also the Sith tradition of always killing the strongest person to become the strongest person doesn't give a character much longevity.

What if I wanted to kill the other bounty hunters but still have the Twi'leks chase me?

Everytime I tried playing it straight DS I end up going grey. It's funny sometimes, dumb other times. I just can't be a total ****. Kotor 1 was like being a evil idiot, besides the Mission thing that was clever. Also the Sith tradition of always killing the strongest person to become the strongest person doesn't give a character much longevity.

Same thing happened to me, except I went even further. I started out as DS and eventually became LS.