my new car

J.E. Sawyer

automatic is actually considered the standard in most vehicles. just from an economics standpoint, it was several thousand more for the auto than the manual anyway. i got options in return for going with a tranny i like better anyway...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

If you like to drive then manual is the only way to go. If you just want your car to take you places , then automatic is much less effort.

This is my opinion too.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Call me a chic, but I prefer automatic. I fall in the "old man" category who sees his car as a way to get to where he wants to be, not as a way to enjoy the drive.

Now my kick ass stereo...

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

yeah, oddly enough.  the term standard, i'm guessing, comes from when automatic was an option.  it's been reversed in recent years.

Well, it's "standard transmission" vs "automatic transmission". Standard being a regular manual-shift transmission and automatic being non-manual. I don't think the term standard has anything to do with it being a standard feature.

*avoids making a lame pun on differential*

newlogo.gif

Well, it's "standard transmission" vs "automatic transmission".  Standard being a regular manual-shift transmission and automatic being non-manual. I don't think the term standard has anything to do with it being a standard feature.

i realize that... but it was not referred to as a standard before automatics came out...

either way, i was only pointing out the oxymoron in the statement.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody drives automatics where I come from, I've seen the inside of maybe 2 or 3 automatics in my whole life. Btw nice car JE, they must be paying you well at Midway. *feels jealous*

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

You gotta be insane to like manual cars.

'manual cars' is tautology because a car without manual isn't really a car - it's like a larger version of those bumper cars they have at fun fairs, with 'go' and 'stop' pedals.

lol. I guess a 'car' to you is manually shifting... lol. Yea, it's somewhat a fun method of driving... But to me, a car is something to use to travel places. It would SUCK to have a manual in **** traffic everyday IMO..

I eat, smoke, talk on the phone, etc when I am driving. Automatic is what I drive. Although I might be getting a manual VW soon too. I just like auto better. Not like the performance is THAT much of a difference... It's more like a hobby of shifting yourself. lol. I've gotten my auto honda civic up to 110 mph. I think thats fast enough for me. lol

Ambrosia3.gif

The debate should adjust and all eyes should be glaring at those who pay upwards of $2000.00 more for the magical, mysterious half-breed auto-manual transmissions. Put it in "M" instead of "D" and you can jockey-shift your overpriced sport-coupe as if you actually knew how to drive a clutch...and no one is the wiser...

to me, a car is something to use to travel places.

and yet your first argument in favour of automatics is that they're better for when you're stuck in traffic...

i see closure of the GM foods thread hasn't altered your taste for bizarro logic.

dumber than a bag of hammers

The debate should adjust and all eyes should be glaring at those who pay upwards of $2000.00 more for the magical, mysterious half-breed auto-manual transmissions.  Put it in "M" instead of "D" and you can jockey-shift your overpriced sport-coupe as if you actually knew how to drive a clutch...and no one is the wiser...

The torque converter still saps power.