KOTOR II Characters

However limited it is! :) Meh...I guess I'm just grumpy...so how many npc's are left? We know of:

Mira

T3

Kreia

Atton

Atris/Altris/Ataris(Speculation, but I think it's justified)

Hk(I read it in OXM, but I'm not sure of it however...)

So if all those are in your party, there are only four left... :)

Yep, that's right. I always wonder if he meant 10 including your own character or excluding him. Since KOTOR I had 9 characters other than your own personal character in the party, I think they may just stick with that, rather than sticking in a tenth somewhere, though it is certinaly possible.

"You shall not pass!"

The new trilogy made being strong in the force seem more like you caught a rare disease than being chosen by a mystical energy.

That's a rathar big conclusion from one scene in "The Phantom Menace."

Saying it's "like a rare disease" is taking it completely out of context.

I think he was saying that it removes the mysticism; instead of the person being strong in the force, it's the midichlorians. In other words, he wasn't being literal.

But didn't someone say elsewhere that the midichlorians were possibly only a sign of greater force power?

There will be a bot, and I quote, "with a suspicious resemblance of" HK. So it's a similar character, but probably not the same one. Unless they can do it really well, I hope it ISN'T the same one.

I think HK was a model assassin droid from an assembly line, and Revan programmed him for improvements. Namely, giving him greater protocol functions - such as the sand people language.

Yep, that's right. I always wonder if he meant 10 including your own character or excluding him. Since KOTOR I had 9 characters other than your own personal character in the party, I think they may just stick with that, rather than sticking in a tenth somewhere, though it is certinaly possible.

It's 10 NPCs not including your character. Also, there are more than 10 possible NPCs in the game. Which 10 you have depends on a couple different factors.

-Akari

s 10 NPCs not including your character. Also, there are more than 10 possible NPCs in the game. Which 10 you have depends on a couple different factors.

I've seen it stated that if you go to far light/dark that certain characters will leave your party. Was curious,if they leave can you go back to planets you've been to all ready and/or go different planets and find people to replace them? Or if you chase someone off are you left a man/woman/droid/whatever short?

Also,if you have a full party will you run into people that could be added into your party? Another words would it be possible to play the game a few times through and meet someone/talk with them and not know they can join because your party is all ready full?

well i guess that clears up all speculation on the of how many npc that you can get.

guess we are just going to have to wait to find out the rest.

s 10 NPCs not including your character. Also, there are more than 10 possible NPCs in the game. Which 10 you have depends on a couple different factors.

I've seen it stated that if you go to far light/dark that certain characters will leave your party. Was curious,if they leave can you go back to planets you've been to all ready and/or go different planets and find people to replace them? Or if you chase someone off are you left a man/woman/droid/whatever short?

Also,if you have a full party will you run into people that could be added into your party? Another words would it be possible to play the game a few times through and meet someone/talk with them and not know they can join because your party is all ready full?

I'm not 100% certain on this answer, but this is what I understand to be the case currently:

The points at which you have the chance to recruit those characters into your party will turn out one way or the other. If you take one character you'll never be able to go back and take the other character. So if you end up forcing a character to leave you or they die you'll be down a character and not be able to replace them with someone else.

Again, this is just how I understand it to be currently. I could be wrong on this, since it's a design issue, not a programming one. :huh:

-Akari

People often forget that there were 10 recruitable NPC's not including yourself in KOTOR:1.  One of them died, and their spot changed to Bastilla's.

True enough. And actually, there are some other characters that fall into this category as well that will be joining you at points. But when we say '10 NPCs in your party', we're referring to more permanent characters.

-Akari

Can't you just tell us how many recruitable NPC's there are.

To be honest, the TOTAL number of possible NPCs is still in a state of flux right now. There isn't a finalized number. And even if they were, I'd probably leave it to designer descretion to give the number out.

-Akari

I'm not 100% certain on this answer, but this is what I understand to be the case currently:

The points at which you have the chance to recruit those characters into your party will turn out one way or the other. If you take one character you'll never be able to go back and take the other character. So if you end up forcing a character to leave you or they die you'll be down a character and not be able to replace them with someone else.

Again, this is just how I understand it to be currently. I could be wrong on this, since it's a design issue, not a programming one.

Interesting,thanks for the answer.

Makes the choices you make through out the game mean a hell of a lot.

And die? I'm going to assume you don't mean have their VP run down to 0 in a normal fight. So does that mean some choices made in the game can end up getting party members killed??

Now that would really add some weight to your choices.

Thanks for all your answers, as per usual.

I'm a little concerned by all of this. You are pretty late in the development process, and I figured these kind of issues would be nailed down early in the development process.

This make me worry. I prefer a small number of set character who are all fleshed out, and have tons of great interactions.

Since Akari is one of the programmers I don't think I would expect him to know all of those things yet.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

The one thing I'm hoping it's not gonna be like is Chrono Cross, where you could get 40 characters (I know it wouldn't be that much in this game, but still) and when you're in an area whichever character you had would just say the same thing as any of the other ones, with little backstory of differentiation...

Since Akari is one of the programmers I don't think I would expect him to know all of those things yet.

TripleRRR

I always thought Akari was a chick. :huh:

I have no idea, but he sounds better than it so I used that.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

No one is considering the option that Akari is a cyborg from the future sent to kill us all?

Sheesh. What would you guys do without me?

Back on topic. Akari, I know this falls along a development side, but do you know what the intent was in having so many characters recruitable? Did the team feel that they could match the character development in the first game (if not improve upon it) and still has so many characters?

Thanks for the info, Akari. It is always reassuring to know that somebody actually listens to us. :D

So I wonder just how this situation is going to work with the "pick one must leave the other forever" character selection.

"You shall not pass!"

No one is considering the option that Akari is a cyborg from the future sent to kill us all?

Sheesh.  What would you guys do without me?

Back on topic.  Akari, I know this falls along a development side, but do you know what the intent was in having so many characters recruitable?  Did the team feel that they could match the character development in the first game (if not improve upon it) and still has so many characters?

This is what I'm thinking, ender: There was something of a semi-rumor that the Sith armored person was a filler in your party, because they didn't have all the NPC's. Wouldn't it make sense if they kept building up NPC's and their subplots as the development cycle went? I'm sure they have plans for more than 10 total NPC's, but I'm thinking they already have at least the one's we've seen so far well-developed. The rest would be in flux because they don't know how much time they'll have.

Gandalf (and everyone else who was bringing this up): if you don't recall, the first game had character's dying permanently. I don't suspect they'd know the frequency with which that would happen in the sequel. You don't need a full 9 party member roster at all times, ya' know, and I suspect the character's important to scripted plot events or with integral story/gameplay roles will die off before you really need them. At least, I'd hope not.