The All Things Political Topic

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

:lol:

Well, aren't you Republicans happy that you made Biden immune to save your own candidate from having to deal with the fallout of his indictments? :p

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

There, fixed it for you 😝

We dont want to trivialize  this attempted   assassination but one of my brothers said " Bruce you can tell  the shooter  was  a  Democrat.  The shot was  far too left " :grin:

The  memes and jokes  are  inevitable 

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

lol so out of curiosity I checked the list of american presidents killed or wounded and with exception of John F. Kennedy it's all republicans. Maybe they should stop rattling the cage so much. 😄

It should probably be noted that the Republican Party used to mostly be the progressive party prior to the 20th century. It's complicated, and how both parties evolved starting at the dawn of that century up until their transformations were (more or less) complete at the end of the 1960s is even more complicated still.

Shooter was apparently a 20 year old white male registered Republican. Not old enough to legally drink, but old enough to legally own guns and...uh, illegally assassinate former presidents with them, I guess. I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more information on this fun character in the coming weeks.

XOKEA2g.jpeg

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

blump2.jpg?ex=6694a490&is=66935310&hm=cd

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

As more info on the shooter comes out I'm again reminded of this exchange in the Broadway musical <<Assassins>> when the ghosts of American political assassins past and future convince Oswald to assassinate Kennedy:

OSWALD: People will hate me.
BOOTH: They will hate you with a passion, Lee. Imagine people having passionate feelings about Lee Harvey Oswald… 

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

13 hours ago, BruceVC said:

The predicable and expected conspiracy  theories  are rife  around this assassination attempt  

But  IMO there are 4 main contributing  factors to  this shooting

• current US political  culture is both toxic and divisive. People on both sides have contributed towards  this 
  • there are some  people on both sides who literally think  the other side wants  to destroy the US and Democracy
  • there are extremist and mentally unbalanced  people on both sides who are  prepared  to act  on the point above
  • the US has a culture  of mass  shootings and gun violence sometimes manifests itself in  how people act  out  

Both sides.

image.png.8ecfa4a14937160f40e9acd2f2299b8a.png

• Haha 5
  • Hmmm 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It looks like Trump is not going to give the same speech he was going to give at the RNC convention before the attempted assassination, good on him and its the right thing to do. America needs to be more united and less divisive around politics

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/cljy6yz1j6gt 

" Former President Donald Trump has given one of his first interviews since the attempt on his life on Saturday night, saying he has completely rewritten his convention speech to focus on a message of "unity" instead of criticising Joe Biden.

"The speech I was going to give on Thursday was going to be a humdinger,” he told the Washington Examiner.

“Had this not happened, this would’ve been one of the most incredible speeches,” he also said, adding that it would have been aimed mostly at the President Biden's policies.

“Honestly, it’s going to be a whole different speech now. It is a chance to bring the country together. I was given that chance.”

Trump also said that the "reality" of what happened on Saturday "is just setting in," and described the moment he looked up at the crowd after realising he had been shot.

“The energy coming from the people there in that moment, they just stood there; it’s hard to describe what that felt like, but I knew the world was looking. I knew that history would judge this, and I knew I had to let them know we are OK,” he told the Examiner.

The former president touched down in Milwaukee just hours ago, where he'll attend the Repulican National Covention this week and be formally nominated as the party's candidate. He's also expected to reveal who will be his running mate in the election.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yes, an utter **** like Trump is going to provide unity and heal division.

• Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

37 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Yes, an utter **** like Trump is going to provide unity and heal division.

Well his public  response around  the assassination will go a long way to reducing the level  of  toxicity and general discord  that exists in the USA around politics 

He could rampant up  tensions and mistrust and feed  the " deep state"   conspiracy theories  or he could  reduce  these  views.  He has lots of  influence on his base

And Im  sure  we  all want the same thing,  a more united  USA  and less political tension

Malc lets  wait and see  what he says,  lets try to be positive. This attempt on  his life  could  be a positive influence on Trumps grandstanding?

John Milton 

19 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Well his public  response around  the assassination will go a long way to reducing the level  of  toxicity and general discord  that exists in the USA around politics 

Says who? It won't, everyone is dyed in the wool here, and MAGA people believe the left did this regardless.

22 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

This attempt on  his life  could  be a positive influence on Trumps grandstanding?

Yes, and becoming President with the aura would change him in 2016. People don't change, they just get old.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

10 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Says who? It won't, everyone is dyed in the wool here, and MAGA people believe the left did this regardless.

Yes, and becoming President with the aura would change him in 2016. People don't change, they just get old.

But he didnt have a life changing experience in 2016. If the bullet  had  been a few  inches to the right  Trump would be dead and that would be a much worse outcome because  then he becomes  a  martyr and that would have radicalized and militarized  more  of his base and supporters 

There  are  lots of examples  of people nearly dying and that experience changes there lives  in a positive way. But I want to hear  his speech before  I give him real  credit  for  "  changing  " because there  are  lots  of understandable skeptics  around Trump  doing anything different 

• Confused 1

John Milton 

Becoming the president wasn't a life altering experience? 

I don't have much faith in a man approaching 80 changing his stripes. Can he stop being himself long enough to really capitalize on this? I think it goes too much against his core being but I guess we'll see soon enough.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Becoming the president wasn't a life altering experience? 

I don't have much faith in a man approaching 80 changing his stripes. Can he stop being himself long enough to really capitalize on this? I think it goes too much against his core being but I guess we'll see soon enough.

No, not in the way I mean by life altering  experience

Trump becoming president  just became  an extension of his personality and provided the greatest stage for him to do what he enjoys doing. He loves attention, he loves people listening to him 

Think of The Apprentice and how Trump thrives on his rallies. Thats not the same as the life changing experience that many people go through when they nearly die. Sometimes its a health reason like a heart attack, sometimes they can have an NDE ( near death experience ) or they can avoid being killed in combat or a criminal act like an attempted car hijacking   and after that it can put things in perspective and they can literally change because they realize the brevity of life 

GD basically retired and stopped following politics after his health scare because his priorities changed 

Thats what Im hoping with Trump after the attempted assassination. But yes lets wait for the speech 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Fox News' Dana Perino says Trump has 'moral high ground': 'It's his to keep if he wants'

Heh, funniest thing I've read all day.

• Haha 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

8 hours ago, rjshae said:

Heh, funniest thing I've read all day.

Thats true, suggesting Trump has " moral high grounds " is not accurate at all 

Thats definitely not a reason you would vote for him :lol:

John Milton 

Well so far in his speech, not seeing much of a change with Trump.  I am utterly stunned.

:lol: "I will end every international crisis"

Edited by Malcador