Ukraine Conflict - Those who can win a war well can rarely make a good peace and those who could make a good peace would never have won the war

Mamoulian War

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What is this about? Does it mean anything, or just people on the internet pushing spreadsheets around?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well that's pretty much the entire war, really, moving spreadsheets.  But just is a glimpse as to what's going on with this raid into Russia.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

10 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Well that's pretty much the entire war, really, moving spreadsheets.  But just is a glimpse as to what's going on with this raid into Russia.

What  is  it based on, who is providing this information?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

14 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

What  is  it based on, who is providing this information?

Visual losses, I believe, propaganda videos and the like.  The twitter user is well regarded as far as OSINT types go.  The thread is worth looking at.

• Hmmm 1

Struck the DniproHES hydroelectric dam too.  Response to refinery hits, I guess?

And the random shelling of Belgorod. One of their more effective looking strikes, the HES especially looks pretty totalled. Also, some sort of terrorist attack at a Moscow concert hall though no indications it's linked to Ukraine.

5 hours ago, pmp10 said:

Predictable outcome since the tactic was making a difference.

Probably predictable due to Biden wanting to be re-elected more than anything else. Gas prices influence votes, and it wasn't coincidence Biden went off to Saudi to ask for them to knock out the spigots before the midterms.

Edited by Zoraptor

It's highly unlikely for Ukraine to be behind that attack. Also I doubt it is a false-flag since imo it wouldn't serve a purpose. Much more likely some islamic terror related thing.

Edited by Lexx
  • Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Guess the American warning about concert venues and gatherings was correct

• Thanks 1

Ajnad al Kavkaz is fighting for Ukraine, and they'd be one of the more likely groups to have carried it out. Not the likeliest though, that'd probably be a domestic/ semi domestic Viliyat Kavkaz (ISIS, and they have claimed it, for what that is worth) offshoot- though AaK were affiliated with them at one point via the predecessor Caucasus Emirate.

There are a few others fighting for Ukraine who are lesser chances (eg Sheikh Mansur and Dyodar Dudayev btns), but AaK is the most extremist and was best buds with Al Qaeda in Syria/ Jabhat al Nusra as well, so aren't exactly averse to a bit terrorism.

Edited by Zoraptor

7 hours ago, Malcador said:

Guess the American warning about concert venues and gatherings was correct

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/gunmen-combat-fatigues-open-fire-moscow-concert-hall-108395835

Its looks  like it was  another craven ISIS related attack on civilians  and once again US intelligence was 100%  correct but ignored by Russian authorities 

But its  also not a good look for Putins authoritarian leadership who prides themselves on domestic security as as advantage to his  type of  leadership 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

13 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/gunmen-combat-fatigues-open-fire-moscow-concert-hall-108395835

Its looks  like it was  another craven ISIS related attack on civilians  and once again US intelligence was 100%  correct but ignored by Russian authorities 

But its  also not a good look for Putins authoritarian leadership who prides themselves on domestic security as as advantage to his  type of  leadership 

I’m sure it makes a good casus belli for liberating Khazakstan from its neo nazi government!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Khorasan, not Kazakhstan. It's still far more likely to be Wilayat Kavkaz (ie Caucasus, supposedly one gunman has been captured and is Ingush); ISIS Khorasan is... well, not consistently credible at best. Their shtick is claiming everything and anything to get attention.

48 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

..and once again US intelligence was 100%  correct but ignored by Russian authorities

The American warning was for an imminent threat (next 48 hours), on March 7th, more than two weeks ago. That was also the day Russia took out an ISIS cell, so it's likely the intelligence was acted on. Want to check if there was a more recent warning? Be my guest, but spoiler, there wasn't.

per below John Kirby, they had no specific information to share about this attack.

Q Thank you. So, question: Did the U.S. have prior knowledge of this attack in Moscow, given that the U.S. Embassy had issued warning beforehand?

MR. KIRBY: I’m not aware of any advanced knowledge that we had of this —

Q On —

MR. KIRBY: — this terrible attack.

Q On March 8th, the embassy warned of imminent attack in Moscow by extremists.

MR. KIRBY: Yeah, I think that — I’ll let the State Department speak to that, I think. But I don’t think that was related to this specific attack.

Source is direct from - and I'm fairly confident this isn't a pro Russian source, but you never know, could be wrong- the US Presidential Website Whitehouse.gov.

Not exactly brilliant reporting, but sadly unsurprising that Bruce would take it completely at face value and draw an incorrect conclusion.

• Hmmm 1

55 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Khorasan, not Kazakhstan. It's still far more likely to be Wilayat Kavkaz (ie Caucasus, supposedly one gunman has been captured and is Ingush); ISIS Khorasan is... well, not consistently credible at best. Their shtick is claiming everything and anything to get attention.

The American warning was for an imminent threat (next 48 hours), on March 7th, more than two weeks ago. That was also the day Russia took out an ISIS cell, so it's likely the intelligence was acted on. Want to check if there was a more recent warning? Be my guest, but spoiler, there wasn't.

per below John Kirby, they had no specific information to share about this attack.

Source is direct from - and I'm fairly confident this isn't a pro Russian source, but you never know, could be wrong- the US Presidential Website Whitehouse.gov.

Not exactly brilliant reporting, but sadly unsurprising that Bruce would take it completely at face value and draw an incorrect conclusion.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/gunmen-open-fire-in-moscow-concert-hall/

Putin ignored the warnings from the US and even went on the expected grandstanding knee-jerk  response to  the US intelligence 

"  Just three days ago, as reported by the Russian state media agency TASS, Putin branded these warnings ‘outright blackmail’ whose intention was ‘to intimidate and destabilise our society’. The warning – and his dismissal – is being highlighted by opposition Telegram channels and set against the carnage that Russia is confronted with this evening"  

And its obvious why Russia responded like this,   they cant accept that the US might have credible  intelligence that the Russian state was not aware  of  and Putin needs  to continue to project the image that under  his  style of authoritarianism  Russia is domestically safer and its own intelligence gathering is effective

The one  thing the article  is  wrong about is the statement " For some time, Western intelligence agencies have been picking up chat about potential strikes in Moscow – and the US took the unusual step of making a public warning "

Its not unusual for the US to issue these types of warnings for their  citizens in any country where  they have credible  information of  an imminent  terrorist attack and often they right. 

Its happened in South Africa where the US warned SA about an imminent  ISIS linked  attack  and there   was  immediate criticism of the US warning but a month later an ISIS cell was  arrested

• Thanks 1

John Milton 

That, or they're just conflating two unrelated things to try and create a particular narrative. Media reports consistently mention the warning, after all, but consistently do not mention the time limited/ imminent nature of it...

Facts are the warning was from more than 2 weeks ago, for a potential attack (direct quote from the US embassy) "over the next 48 hours". Not open ended, and it's easily verifiable that the warning was not extended. Fact is that the same day an ISIS cell was eliminated by Russia. That this was acting on US intelligence is certainly an inference, but a pretty convincing one. And of course the direct John Kirby quote from the whitehouse press briefing about whether the two were related was, with just a tad of added emphasis by me:

But I don’t think that [warning] was related to this specific attack

Until someone goes on the record to gainsay that, ie no 'anonymous source', there's really nothing more to say: the warning was for an imminent attack around March 7th, the same day Russia eliminated an ISIS cell, and the US Presidential spokesman thinks that warning and this attack are unrelated.

Regarding the Belgorod incident, Russia in order to take out “insurgents” completely annihilated Russian village/town of Kozinka. It looks like, their army uses scorched earth tactics as only viable tactics, even while “defending” at home 🤷‍♂️ There are videos available from the village, if you want to see it, not gonna link them here, as they might breach the forum guidelines.

and as soon as Putin has been “elected” things started to move at hypersonic speed in Russia, and most of the big western media has either missed it or ignores it, and it pretty much makes sense now, why Macron has be so adamant about western troops in Ukraine. Shoigu announced the creation of two more armies in Russia, along with 16 brigades and 14 divisions. If successful, Russian army will be bigger than French, Italian, British, Polish, German, Spanish, Netherlandese, Swedish and Danish combined! It is clear that Putin has been emboldened by the Republican actions. And Peskov has stated ofr the first time since the start of SMO, that Russia is in warstate. The Russian war against NATO is more likely than ever 🤷‍♂️

Edit: Russia already aired deepfake video in the TV, that the terrorist attack is linked to Ukraine. And FSB has detained 11 “terrorists linked to Ukraine” already.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/03/23/7447789/

• Thanks 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Domino theory still going strong. ISW excluded the idea they're gearing up for the war they're in.

There are without a doubt Chechen and Dagestani elements of the Ukrainian army with ties to ISIS. Which ultimately is the responsibility of the Ukrainian government.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

So they say that 4 people were captured by now. There's videos online where a guy gets tortured

ear cut off and they tried to force him to eat it or something like that - I tried to not watch it.

Way to go, Russia, making me feel sympathy for a terrorist, wtf. Besides, this is all really weird anyways.. apparently that guy was caught 200km away from the attack site? Those guys must be really fast.

Edited by Lexx

Should have waited to do the usual enhanced interrogation techniques at a black site, silly Russians.