Patch 3.4.1356 in Public Beta

About the "Psychic Backlash" question, I'd have some proposals:

• a middle way between actual behavior and tooltip: ONE use per FOE per encounter (1 enemy = 1 use, 2 enemy = 1 use + 1 use etc.);
  • making Dragons (and other bosses) immune to and only to Psychic Backlash, but let them be stunned in others way, OR make them having a great bonus against this attack;
  • change stunned effect with daze or confused effect.

On 1/4/2024 at 1:01 PM, cstanick said:

Greetings Watchers!

It has been a long time since we spoke, but I come bearing good news. We have just released a new patch for Pillars of Eternity on the beta branch for Steam. 

Please let us know if you run into any issues during your time with this updated version of the game. 

https://support.obsidian.net/contact

To access the Beta branch on Steam, please follow these steps:

1) In your Steam Library Right click on Pillars of Eternity, and select "Properties"

SteamImage1.png

2) Select the "Beta" Tab, and click the Drop Down for labeled "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs", and instead select "Beta - Public Beta branch for upcoming patches"

SteamImage2.png

3) Close the Window, and you should have a download ready. Attempting to play the game should automatically trigger the download.

How to switch back on Steam:

To switch back and opt out of all betas, simply repeat the Steps above, but select "None - Opt out of all Betas" from the drop down list in Step 3.

--Patch Notes--

General:

• We have updated to Unity Version 2019.4.11.

Navigation:

• Fixed areas that could not be navigated in numerous scenes.
  • The lake in Cayron's Scar should no longer be unintentionally traversable when submerged.

Visual and Audio:

• Fixed multiple cases where characters might T-Pose briefly at the beginning of a cutscene.
  • Fixed an issue where paperdolls in character creation and inventory screens might appear blurry.
  • Overwhelming Wave should more reliably play its visual effects.
  • Fixed VFX issues with the Woodskin spell rotating or attaching incorrectly.
  • Symbols western chamber of Lle a Rhemen should now properly light up when expected.
  • Fixed redundant horn audio playing after the battle of Yenwood.
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to open locked containers could play multiple voice lines at once.
  • Fixed a handful of cases where dialogue audio wouldn’t play when certain nodes were re-triggered.

Quests and Dialogue:

• Ready the Cannons side quest should now properly update its objectives.
  • Dialogue from Buried Secrets quest should no longer allow the player to demand their payment more than once.
  • Fixed an issue where multiple barked lines in Gilded Vale could overlap excessively.
  • Fixed an issue where Eder’s bark lines in the Temple of Eothas may end abruptly.
  • Fixed a case where Calisca could trigger the wrong bark line near the camp inside Cilant Lîs.

Combat and Mechanics:

• Earth Blights should no longer sometimes detach from their selection circles when dominated.
  • Scroll of Ray of Fire should now appear correctly and more accurately match the behavior of the Ray of Fire spell.
  • Fixed a case where manually resolving stronghold combat could sometimes yield no rewards.
  • Fixed a case where prone characters might try to move while prone, resulting in sliding behavior.
  • Concelhaut’s Draining Missiles should no longer occasionally show 0.0 damage in the combat log.
  • Weapon Specialization: Peasant should now reliably add its damage to unarmed attacks.
  • Fixed some cases where the Halt spell might confuse enemy AI, causing them to repeatedly interrupt and re-attempt their own actions.
  • Removed errant untargetable Xaurip that could sometimes appear in Dyrford Crossing.
  • Fixed a case where Sleafhota might teleport to an alternate location mid-dialogue before attacking the player.
  • Attacking Osrya directly will now reliably engage with her revenant and skeleton minions.
  • Fixed a case where all survival camping bonuses might appear after spending only a single skill rank on Survival.

User Interface and Interaction:

• Fixed a UI issue where chants could sometimes clip beyond their scrolling frame.
  • Fixed a case where the damage type icon on the character sheet might not position correctly.
  • Fixed some cases where assigning companions to multiple stronghold missions at once might cause UI issues.
  • Quick loading with the crafting or enchanting UI open should no longer result in a permanent black screen.
  • Fixed a typo in the description of Animal Companions.
  • Fixed an issue where highlighting certain parts of a defeated enemy would not allow you to loot them.
  • Doors in some scenes that were difficult to interact with have had their collision revised and should now be more reliable.
  • Fixed a case where the final pressure plate in the Temple of Woedica would not appear.
  • Examining the wall trophy inside of Elm’s Reach should now be possible.
  • Skipping intros when first starting the client should now be more responsive.

I have a question about this patch. Will this patch and Unity Engine update also address the saving/loading and screen transition times in the game, or is that something else altogether different?

Few more minor suggestions for fixes, mainly around receiving multiple copies of unique items:

• Fix getting two Forgiveness during At All Costs, by making the contraceptive delivery for Verzano, dispatching Danna Doemenel at the Goose and Fox, returning to claiming the reward, then killing and looting Verzano.
  • Fix getting two White Crest Armor during Regrets Worth Trading. This involves diving for the armor immediately after receiving the quest, then returning to Okrun to complete the quest, then going through the motions of talking to Lafda, listening at the temple window, following Qexetl to Russetwood, then returning to Ladfa and killing her for the chest key. You might even be able to do so earlier.
  • Fix getting two Aila Braccia during The Sealed Missive, by returning the Sealed Missive to the monks, and then killing and looting them.
  • Fix getting two Thy Clef during Sacrificial Bloodlines, by brewing the potion for Simoc, finishing the quest by giving him the potion, and then killing and looting him.
  • Completing Songs of the Wild by speaking to Onwen, then convincing Delem that he's "chasing mere superstition" results in the wrong end state (2 instead of 1), whose journal entry mentions that you spoke to Llensi to obtain that info - even if you never actually speak to Llensi.

@TheManager00 It's a big jump from 4.7.0f1 (2015) to 2019.4.11 (2020), so I'd imagine there might be some performance improvements just from that.

Ditto on Wael's Boon as well, would be neat since it's a pretty niche route with seemingly no reward.

There is nowhere the info that new saves are put in  "_LOCAL_" folder and we need to copy paste our save games there.

Found a bug: running an old save, Kana got another weapon slot to use (4 instead of 3).

As for fixes, there is still tooltip flicker in beta. Perhaps you could implement a fix like this (https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/187)

I aslo noticed flickering mouse cursor as well. For me problem occurs when using gsync and framerate is higher than monitor refresh rate. I solved it but limiting framerate.

On 1/13/2024 at 9:57 AM, Macklin said:

Few more minor suggestions for fixes, mainly around receiving multiple copies of unique items:

• Fix getting two Forgiveness during At All Costs, by making the contraceptive delivery for Verzano, dispatching Danna Doemenel at the Goose and Fox, returning to claiming the reward, then killing and looting Verzano.
  • Fix getting two White Crest Armor during Regrets Worth Trading. This involves diving for the armor immediately after receiving the quest, then returning to Okrun to complete the quest, then going through the motions of talking to Lafda, listening at the temple window, following Qexetl to Russetwood, then returning to Ladfa and killing her for the chest key. You might even be able to do so earlier.
  • Fix getting two Aila Braccia during The Sealed Missive, by returning the Sealed Missive to the monks, and then killing and looting them.
  • Fix getting two Thy Clef during Sacrificial Bloodlines, by brewing the potion for Simoc, finishing the quest by giving him the potion, and then killing and looting him.
  • Completing Songs of the Wild by speaking to Onwen, then convincing Delem that he's "chasing mere superstition" results in the wrong end state (2 instead of 1), whose journal entry mentions that you spoke to Llensi to obtain that info - even if you never actually speak to Llensi.

@TheManager00 It's a big jump from 4.7.0f1 (2015) to 2019.4.11 (2020), so I'd imagine there might be some performance improvements just from that.

Ditto on Wael's Boon as well, would be neat since it's a pretty niche route with seemingly no reward.

I would also like to make two more suggestions. First, either vastly increasing the chance of Azzuro appearing within the Caed Nua stronghold (without depending on prestige or security), or making him a regular merchant that can be purchased from there. Second, in the Sacrificial Bloodlines quest in Twin Elms, if we poison Simoc and then keep the baby orlan; I see no reason why we can't talk Simoc's son, Lliras, out of attacking us. It seems counterproductive to poison Simoc first, and then have his son attack us after we rescue the baby. Food for thought, perhaps.

On 1/7/2024 at 1:45 AM, beger said:

Found a few issues already:

Text displays differently in bad ways, as shown in the attached screenshots. The left is the live patch, the right is this beta. There are kerning issues, text just seems smaller/less clear, and it's especially glaring in the conversation window where it seems like the font size of some letters is just 1px bigger/smaller than others. This is with all the same display/graphics settings.

Also, when meeting Kana for the first time outside of Caed Nua and selecting the option "What are you doing over there?", when the conversation gets to Kana saying "Killing time...", there's a sound like knocking on wood. In the live patch, there's no VO at all for this line.

comparison.png

Same issues here. The engine update finally fixed the blurred fonts problem but now its all less readable.

Love that this classic is getting some attention/polish!

One annoying bug is the sounds outside your keep at Caed Nua (persistent sounds from battle of yenwood I think)

Thread here from back in the day

I recently completed POE, and came across most of the bugs, many of which I had already forgotten, but I’ll try to remember from memory.

1. this is a bug in the quest Siege of Crägholdt, for reasons unknown to me, Sabel's Note disappeared, which made answering the last question impossible, I stupidly did not have the necessary dialogue option, which made completing the quest impossible for me.

2. sometimes when quickly clicking or opening some windows or tabs in the menu, text and interaction buttons, such as close the window, simply disappeared. but it was still possible to exit using the ESC button.

3. Once there was a bug when the quest log menu scrolled down too quickly and did not make it possible to find out the details of the desired quest, but restarting helped.

4. and in Act 3, some enemy animal companions of the hunters did not die and were constantly revived, I think this was due to too much damage inflicted on them, due to which they died, but the game considered this as a loss of consciousness and they literally rose from the dead. lol

5 bug I didn’t forget to take a screenshot so I won’t describe it but will show it right away below

Next I’ll tell you a little about not the bugs, but some points that I noticed,

the first thing is to make the traps playable please)

the second is whether it is possible to make stealth more subtle, like in a deadfire, sometimes there are times when you find an interesting book for your collection, but it lies in the NPC’s desk. but I think it's impossible)

That's all, of course I would like more voice acting and something like that, some prizes after the patch, but these are my whims)

image.png.ac8bb0eceb89d7412928d3865cd93a77.png

Yes, 2 more points:

- Sometimes, when you want to learn a spell from a book, the "accept" window simply has no accept button, the button has disappeared, this also prevents to "cancel" the action, it is solved by hitting the "ESC" button and return to the book to learn the spell normally.

- Sometimes, when you move the mouse wheel to see something in your character's tab, the scroll bar goes crazy and goes all the way down, trying to raise the bar up doesn't solve it, it still wants to go down, there is no efficient solution, just press the ESC key and raise and lower the bar until it solves itself.

PS: I have to add that I find it strange that @Boeroer and @MaxQuest don't seem to be around here, when they are 2 people very knowledgeable about the game and who have fixed bugs in the game with patches 😅

Edited by davoker

5 hours ago, davoker said:

Yes, 2 more points:

- Sometimes, when you want to learn a spell from a book, the "accept" window simply has no accept button, the button has disappeared, this also prevents to "cancel" the action, it is solved by hitting the "ESC" button and return to the book to learn the spell normally.

- Sometimes, when you move the mouse wheel to see something in your character's tab, the scroll bar goes crazy and goes all the way down, trying to raise the bar up doesn't solve it, it still wants to go down, there is no efficient solution, just press the ESC key and raise and lower the bar until it solves itself.

PS: I have to add that I find it strange that @Boeroer and @MaxQuest don't seem to be around here, when they are 2 people very knowledgeable about the game and who have fixed bugs in the game with patches 😅

I will also absolutely vouch for both of these bugs. The ESC key is the only known solution to fixing the problem so far.

• Thanks 1

This is incredible that you're patching PoE up!

I would like to play this game for the first time on Xbox. I have read a lot of bad things about the state of the game in terms of crashes while saving, slowdown during fights, characters stats being randomly changed, achievements not unlocking or being tracked properly. Here are 9 pages of people talking about it on TrueAchievements:

Pillars of Eternity - Achievements dont unlock - Page 9 (trueachievements.com)

I would love to finally start this game but I am hoping that, since you're updating it again, you could revisit the console version and look at these. I am very hesitant to start this game because of the issues!

I remember hearing about these issues back when the game was first released on console and was disappointed as I was lookingforward to playing it. So please take a look at the Xbox version pleaseeee

Hello, I saw in previous replies that the patch will be coming to Epic and GoG but will it also be coming to the Windows Store so that PC Game Pass players can get these improvements? 

• cstanick changed the title to Patch 3.4.1347 in Public Beta

I remembered something else! This is a weird one. I've noticed that when Kana is in my party, sometimes the Skeletons or the Phantom that he summons will get "stuck" on the map, refusing to de-spawn when their time is up. They're not controllable, it's just like their images are there. This doesn't happen consistently, but when it does, this "afterimage" of the summons will then be persistent in a consistent spot on EVERY map for the rest of the game. This looks really weird, and forces me to pretend that I'm being followed at a distance by a gang of spooky bois for most of my playthrough.

I'm far from certain, but I *think* it may be related to if Kana (or the Chanter in question) is knocked out while the summon spell is active? That may or may not be the only trigger. In any case, it would be *fantastic* to see a fix for this if possible.

This bug is also reported elsewhere (only for skeletons, but I have definitely observed it for Reny Daret the Phantom). See:

Actually it's not a bug of that class specifically, it's a general game bug, I mean, I've seen that with enemies, shadows can get stuck on the map, and moving to another map doesn't fix it, they appear on other maps, they don't do anything, it's just an image that's stuck, but this happens constantly, in all the games I've played it's always happened to me several times.

Edited by davoker
Text editing

Text error in the Spanish language (there are actually many, but this is one of the most relevant ones), the dialog options of Ponamu Bird-Scorned, option number 1, which says "Who are you?", does not appear, you can choose option 1 blindly without knowing what it says, but no text appears.

There are other issues, but they are numerous. They consist of dialogue texts spoken by the "narrator" that get mixed up with the texts of the NPC. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well. When the text is from the "narrator," it has a "dark gray" tone, whereas when the text is spoken by the NPC you're interacting with, it's of a "whiter" tone. This problem exists in both the base game and the expansions. Sometimes it's difficult to follow the narrative thread when you're unsure if what you're reading is said by the narrator or by the NPC you're speaking to.

However, I have made text corrections myself, with dozens and dozens of dialogues corrected for different issues. We're talking about problems where the gender of your character is confused, to issues involving "internal commands" being visible that shouldn't be seen. I have all of this corrected in a small mod that I share on a Spanish-speaking forum.

If you (the developers) are interested and want to fix these text issues, I can provide you with a link to the corrections. It's very difficult to catch all the errors because you need to play all the classes and see all the possible dialogue options. Nevertheless, I have corrected hundreds of lines, in case you're interested.

Separate issue, this is more of a request and I would understand if it's complicated to carry out. This request concerns the "NPC Backers" that we can see in the game. Have you ever stopped to search on Google "Pillars of Eternity NPC backers"? You'll notice that many people complain about "seeing these NPCs everywhere," and there are several valid reasons for these complaints:

1 - The Godlike race: According to the game's lore, this race is supposed to be extremely rare to see. There are few NPCs in the game who are of this race, one being a companion. However, the NPC Backers have made this no longer make sense because many backers chose the Godlike race for their NPCs. The consequence? The entire game is filled with Godlikes everywhere when supposedly it's a very rare race to see in its lore.

2 - The stories of the NPC backers take you out of context. There are stories that literally describe Marvel or DC superheroes, and many others don't fit with the game's lore.

3 - There are people who "don't know what NPC backers are." The consequence? Those people "read everything about all the NPCs." The second consequence? They get lost in the narrative thread, not knowing if what they're reading is part of the game's story. As a result, they get lost, overwhelmed, and frustrated (when you tell them that those NPCs aren't actually part of the game, that their stories have nothing to do with it, they feel relieved and return to the game with enthusiasm (Relieved not to have to read something that was only confusing them.), poors...)

What's my request? A button in the game options to "disable NPC backers," which would replace the NPC backers with generic NPCs when that option is activated. This solves the problem. As I mentioned, if you look on Google, many people complain about the NPC backers, even many backers complain about them, which is quite ironic xD

If this is possible, thank you, if not, well, no worries, we'll continue to ignore and/or kill backers, some of them have good loot xD

Edited by davoker
Edit text

Hi,

ist it possible to fix 2 old bugs?

1. Stalkers Torc

This item does'nt work properly. the dmg bonus is initially added, but attacking with the pet disables the bonus.

It should be the other way round, attacking with the pet should enable, not disable the Bonus

2. Coordintaing Enchant is bugged

The damage bonus is not applying, at least not with the item ravenwing (not additionally enchanted).

I tested this via combat. There were dmg values that were smaller, than the lowest possible dmg roll, that would be possible, if the damage had been added.

On 1/6/2024 at 8:38 AM, Space-Cadet said:

Still no controller support on PC? 🙁

While there's not official support, if you have it on steam you can use a controller to play the game through Steam Input. While looking at the game in your library, there should be a controller button on the right side of the screen. If not, you might need to enable Steam Input in the settings (maybe even in Big Picture mode). Someone's already made a button layout for this game on the controller that you can select and everything. 

And there is a third bug, I almost forgot:

3. Persistence bow with driving flight and twinned arrows

When you attack a target with persistence with twinned arrows and at least another target is nearby you will land 4 hits. 2 on the main target and 2 on the other target(s). But the wounding lash will only trigger on the main target once. If there is no other target nearby there are also 2 hits on the target, but the wounding lash will trigger twice. This seems incorrect.

On 1/9/2024 at 10:24 PM, NCarver said:
  • @VerNOX
    • On 1/9/2024 at 10:24 PM, NCarver said:
      • We would like to investigate all mods that provide fixes to known issues of the game to ideally incorporate them. Though please bear with us as we work to catch them all. In the meantime, you may wish to use mods for any we have yet to address. Also, thank you for reporting the high-resolution sharpness issue, I'll make sure we investigate this as well.

Hi @NCarver,

If you are interested in incorporating the fixes from UPMod, you can find the project source code: here

The fixes themselves are contained in UPMOD/mod_xxxx.cs files between the lines:

// PATCH START
// PATCH END

-----

I also think that doing something about Flickering Tooltip and Psychic Backlash is worth adding to the new patch.

Some of possible solutions for Psychic Backlash could be:

• make it proc only once per minute (per cipher)
  • after an enemy is stunned by Psychic Backlash he gains immunity to it for 50s
  • make it proc only 2 times per combat. This limit is reset after cipher reaches max focus the first time in that combat
  • make it proc only 1 time per combat. This limit is reset after cipher spends 200 focus

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Thanks 1

Mmmm after the last update i got the blurred fonts issue back. also on Steam I started a new game an I didn't get the kickstarter and pre-order items in the inventory.

Edited by Darkless

21 hours ago, Darkless said:

Mmmm after the alst update i got the blurred fonts issue back. also on Steam I started a new game an I didn't get the kickstarter and pre-order items in the inventory.

The same thing happens to me, I commented it just above, I no longer receive the items in the inventory with new games.

Not only that, there are magic icons that get "blocked" (visually), it doesn't always happen, but it happens very often, that is, imagine that you cast a magic, and then another, when you cast the new magic, it has the icon of the previous magic on the mouse arrow, this had never happened to me before.

And for God's sake, what about the loot? the gloves don't even appear in the castle, I can't even get them anymore, not even if I wait a whole month there xD

Edited by davoker
text edit