Cinema and Movie Thread: coming at you at 24fps

Raithe

3 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Well that sucks.

Yeah, smoking is messed up. My grandmother has emphysema and it was miserable for her final years. 

I'm pretty worried about what is going to happen to all these young people who are vaping. I get the feeling that in a couple decades we are going to start to see some horrific side effects.

My wife was reading me some article about how the kids these days all smoke and don't wear sunscreen and so they look older and worse. Not sure if there was any truth to it or if it was the typical generation bashing shifted down to Z but I figured it was the latter.

Free games updated 3/4/21

8 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Vaping is far less bad for you than smoking tobacco is for sure, which is why it's used for quitting smoking. It's almost certainly less bad for you than, say, alcohol as well.

I don't know man, that sounds like a convenient story that is pushed by big tobacco. "Oh sorry we gave everyone lung cancer, here's a chemical filled robot **** for you all to suck on so you can quit cigarettes. It comes in fun flavors!"

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/can-vaping-damage-your-lungs-what-we-do-and-dont-know-2019090417734

It sure sounds like we don't have a full grasp on how harmful vaping is long term, and use is skyrocketing by young non-smokers, not just people trying to quit smoking. Sure, it doesn't make all of your stuff smell bad, and hopefully the 2nd-hand effects are a lot less devastating, but it is still harmful chemicals in your lungs.

As to them being better than fermented beverages, I'd like to see that study. The reality is most people have a few drinks a week. I doubt you can find many vapers that take a few hits a week, so the amount of consumption s going to be vastly different. Sure, vaping is probably safer than being a full blown alcoholic, but that doesn't mean it compares favorably to having a glass of wine with dinner.

• Thanks 1

Well... thing is, tobacco is awful. It's the Adolf Hitler of legal substances available without prescription or (much) other controls. Vaping may be the Idi Amin of legally available substances, or, it may not be. Either way, it's still going to be better than tobacco. That doesn't mean I'm a big fan of the big man from Uganda or his electronic puff pipe equivalent, it's just that if you're looking for things worse than tobacco it's meth, crack, heroin type things which are all illegal.

In terms of alcohol, if you assume everyone is going to use that responsibly then you have to assume everyone is going to vape responsibly. In reality, you get alcoholics, you get pregnant women drinking, you get drunk drivers, you get drunken brawls and you get all the other negative stuff- including cancers and the like- as well.

• Like 2

I thought I wasn't in the cinema thread for a bit there...

Anyhow, I'm excited for the 'restoration' of Caligula - a film infamously spliced with hard core footage and edited into a nonsensical narrative that made noone happy. Not directly restored to the (competing) visions of either writer Gore Vidal or director Tinto Brass, but somewhere in between trying to put back the narrative and preserve the performances that were lost in Bob Guiccione's version.

Famously Malcolm McDowell disagreed with Videl on Caligula's motives and his performance was always alleged to be not only really good (I believe McDowell has said it might be his besr) but altered the interpretation of the story. Other actors saw their performances chopped - none worse than Helen Mirren who was all but edited out of the film.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Tinto Brass

That's a pretty attractive trailer...but, why do I know that name, and why do I hate it? One moment, I need to go to Wikipedia real quick.

Oh yes, now I remember: it's because I've been tricked into watching a couple of this guy's so-called "films" before, without having realized what I was getting into before starting them. I learned better after the second one. I'm reading now that he has publicly protested this version of the film, which given the positive reviews that have come out, I can only assume is a very good thing.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah neither Gore or Tinto's version is being restored, which is very interesting for this type of project. I'd imagine Videl would be against it too if he was around.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Gore Vidal always reminds me of some old Ask a Ninja video where he says something like not enough Gore or Videl. Now I'm off to find that clip 

Ugh it was Gore Verbinski. I was way off.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Gasp! 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

10 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

after the second one

Uh huh… :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I haven't seen it yet but I can already tell I will think the best thing about DeadPool/Wolverine will be the meme's of the dance.

imo, every superhero should do that dance at least once.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I had it on in the background the other  night.

It.. adds pretty much nothing to the actual story. Or fixes any of the issues.

There's like an opening 20 minute sequence that adds backstory to one of the minor character who barely has anything meaningful in the rest of the film.

Plus even more slow-mo. But with added blood splatter.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

On 8/13/2024 at 3:17 AM, Hurlshort said:

Yeah, smoking is messed up. My grandmother has emphysema and it was miserable for her final years. 

I'm pretty worried about what is going to happen to all these young people who are vaping. I get the feeling that in a couple decades we are going to start to see some horrific side effects.

I'm pretty convinced vaping is better than smoking for your lungs, and still bad for a lot of other things. I also think banning both might be a smart idea long term, given how hard it is to quit for a lot of people. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I saw Alien: Romulus.  Enjoyed it pretty well.

Humanist Vampire Seeking Consenting Suicidal Person (2023).

humanist-1200x1734.jpg

It's...an odd duck of a film. It's more or less exactly what you might think it would be, which is a slow and sensitive coming-of-age film with a vampiric twist. I enjoyed it, but I confess to also being a little disappointed by it, I think it could've been great by being a little more creative and energetic than it was.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I'm curious to see that one; your description is pretty much what I thought it'd be from the trailer (albeit, without the disapointment!)

• Like 1

Blade Runner (1982).

This is my second time watching it. I feel that there is a human element here that is missing in the sequel, that makes this more than just moody or pretty environments. This film is not necessarily perfectly sublime from front to back with regards to all of its most essential elements, but it is nonetheless a whole experience, and that is exactly what it needs to be. It was better for a second watch.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Blade Runner (1982).

This is my second time watching it. I feel that there is a human element here that is missing in the sequel, that makes this more than just moody or pretty environments. This film is not necessarily perfectly sublime from front to back with regards to all of its most essential elements, but it is nonetheless a whole experience, and that is exactly what it needs to be. It was better for a second watch.

But that human element gets in the way of PURE IMAGE AND SOUND! Imagine if instead of developing the characters or polluting cinema with pesky dialogue Ridley Scott gave us 4 hours of concept art with booming scifi music! Now that would be pure cinema.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands