Anime and Manga - How do you Live? Edition

Bartimaeus

I am shocked out of all moves that made me a wrasslin' fan. This anime and this finisher is what made me go "Yeah this is why this is prime entertainment and I will dedicate my life to writing fanfiction of it... sorta." Like I have many regrets in my life, but finding joy in the toe hold that spins ain't one of them.

Nissei the manga is meh but I had no issue with the anime.

• 2 weeks later...

Lily C.A.T. (1987).

zK2zBAI.jpeg

It's like an Alien and The Thing two-for-one combo rip-off, but instead of being the best thing ever like it should be, it's just pretty alright. It's the only one of these I don't have any misgivings about having watched.

A.D. Police Files (1990).

(If I could find a not terrible quality poster for this, it would be inserted here.)

@Malcador reminded me that this exists. Overall, not a huge fan: first episode (lady cyborg who goes crazy because of being overworked) was pretty meh, second episode (lady cyborg who goes crazy because she couldn't go back to being fully human again) was O.K., third episode (guy cyborg who goes crazy because he replaced his entire body with machine parts and then got addicted to steroids) was pretty bad. None of them had anything to do with each other except for exploring similar ideas, they're standalone stories within the Bubblegum Crisis setting, which seemed to at least be better and more consistent than this, though I've yet to finish it.

Windaria (1986).

Zp189sE.jpeg

Felt vaguely like a Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind rip-off in terms of visuals, tone, and style...but pretty bad because of atrocious characters and writing, neither elements of which had much if any resemblance to Nausicaa. Look, the girl in the poster even stole Nausicaa's fox-squirrel pet. Not that it does anything throughout the whole film...or, uh, maybe it did and I already forgot. The story is some really basic Romeo and Juliette crap, and I really don't have any interest in describing it further.

Golgo 13: Queen Bee (1998).

vDVNWAr.png

This is one of the worst things I've ever seen. One of those cases I've mentioned before where it attempts to have some kind of story and emotional core that the viewer is supposed to connect with but because it's so completely terrible and at odds with itself (while also offering nothing else of interest), watching mindless action trash would have been less offensive. I hope the idiots that made this stub their pinky toes in real life today.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Kengan Ashura

I do not say this lightly, but I think this may be the thing that unites this thread in sheer disdain.

This feels like it was made in a lab specifically for me to hate. Some of the worst CGI animation I've ever seen combines with a stupid ass tournament arc and the worst Shonen tropes you can think of. The first 5 minutes sees a middle-aged office worker see two gym gods fight and his response is to go have the secks (for the first time in 15 years, as the narrator makes sure to tell us) because of survival instincts. Thankfully we are saved from a cgi secks scene, but instead there is a very unsettling closeup of the office workers face and at that point I decided that I will never take a Netflix suggestion in my life. I'd like to say it got me to cancel Netflix, but I don't pay for it anyways lmao. The one thing I'll give it is that I did not hate it so much to go pick up a shoe to throw at the TV, but if I had been wearing shoes you can bet your ass that I would have thrown at least one at the screen.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

46 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Kengan Ashura

I do not say this lightly, but I think this may be the thing that unites this thread in sheer disdain.

This feels like it was made in a lab specifically for me to hate. Some of the worst CGI animation I've ever seen combines with a stupid ass tournament arc and the worst Shonen tropes you can think of. The first 5 minutes sees a middle-aged office worker see two gym gods fight and his response is to go have the secks (for the first time in 15 years, as the narrator makes sure to tell us) because of survival instincts. Thankfully we are saved from a cgi secks scene, but instead there is a very unsettling closeup of the office workers face and at that point I decided that I will never take a Netflix suggestion in my life. I'd like to say it got me to cancel Netflix, but I don't pay for it anyways lmao. The one thing I'll give it is that I did not hate it so much to go pick up a shoe to throw at the TV, but if I had been wearing shoes you can bet your ass that I would have thrown at least one at the screen.

kengen are boring for a while now

hope for isshou senkin adaptation soon 

Posted (edited)

Patlabor: The Movie (1989) by Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, Angel's Egg, Jin-Ro et al.).

gco95334_0.jpg

Ostensibly a big dumb mech movie for a big dumb mech series, for this movie, Mamoru Oshii transformed Patlabor into a slow-moving investigative mystery. There are like maybe ten minutes of action throughout the whole film...a little bit right at the beginning, and the rest right at the end. One thing I do always appreciate about Oshii films is that even though they tend to be thematically heavy to the point of being nearly overbearing, his films are still able to have characters that don't feel like they only exist for the purpose of a delivering a message or the plot, which saves them from being too lifeless and pointed. It's always been a problem that a lot of other more "serious" animes of the time fell victim to which his films largely seem to avoid. So even though I think the story of this film is a bit dumb on the whole, I still had a good time, it's a cute and enjoyable movie - and with a Kenji Kawai soundtrack to help sell its moodier-than-expected atmosphere to boot.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

• 2 weeks later...

mayonaka punch

op are super addictive

episode 4 maybe cliche but still hit hard

didn't expect such emotional episode out of very lighthearted comedy

edit 

it is also hilarious that some va can speak english and some doesn't

the gap is significant

Edited by uuuhhii

Neon Genesis Evangelion and End of Evangelion - I have the Third Impact song stuck in my head.

Does this hold up? Absolutely, no question. There's something disturbing about seeing the classic animation before CGI was an option, and honestly it's ****ing terrifying. There's just something so raw about it...I can honestly emphasize with Gendo now in a way I couldn't before and that's ****ing me up. Not afraid to admit I cried at the omenitau sequence and by god I think that's a near perfect ending. Anyways I guess I'll see how I take the rebuilds whenever I get to them again.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I dunno. Finished the original Evangelion just a few weeks ago and especially near the end I just wanted it to finally be over. Thought about watching the stuff that followed later, but really don't know if I have the strength for that.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

I dunno. Finished the original Evangelion just a few weeks ago and especially near the end I just wanted it to finally be over. Thought about watching the stuff that followed later, but really don't know if I have the strength for that.

no need to put too much effort into it

just watch the movie

5 hours ago, Lexx said:

That was pretty much how I felt about it on my first watch, but I liked it a lot more when I watched it a second time with someone else...who was watching it for the first time and who felt more or less how I did when I watched it for the first time, i.e. ready for it to be over. I think the plot of the show is a bit exhausting, silly, and just not really all it's cracked up to be...but the characters, humor, themes, art style and animation are all strong and can shine much more when you're past the point of caring about the overwrought plot.

I watched the Rebuild movies a few years after watching the original series, and my opinion went from "it's okay" starting with the first one to "this is the absolute worst" by the last one...and then after I re-watched the original show, I tried to re-watch the first Rebuild movie and noped out after about halfway. I figured they, like the main series, might improve with a re-watch... That's gonna be a no from me, dog.

Edited by Bartimaeus

17 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I watched the Rebuild movies a few years after watching the original series, and my opinion went from "it's okay" starting with the first one to "this is the absolute worst" by the last one...and then after I re-watched the original show, I tried to re-watch the first Rebuild movie and noped out after about halfway.

I feel vindicated.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Is this one giant troll attempt by Anno? How can you guys watch that without pulling your hair out? Is that because I've only watched the series like a couple of months back?

Yeah, I think you hit it on the head here. It'd been a while since I saw Neon Genesis, long enough that the experience wasn't fresh in my mind, but not so long that I had forgotten everything, so the first movie kind of worked as a vaguely acceptable summary of the first half or so of the show. When going right back to the first Rebuild after having watched the show and that becoming more or less a direct comparison...it became very obvious that the Rebuild movie both directly and indirectly did away with just about everything I liked about Neon Genesis, and it was going to get so much worse as soon as I got into new material, so I abandoned it. Conceptually, there's also the issue of Rebuild being like...an alternative universe version of Neon Genesis. Hate alternative universe stuff, so it was a bad idea for me to start with.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's just a trailer, but colour (pun unintended) me intrigued... definitely something that's spiraling (pun intended) out of control 😎

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I actually tried to read this manga recently (Junji Ito's Uzumaki from 1998), but I only finished the first volume (of three) before tossing it. Cool art and all, but didn't do anything for me.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Always take leaks with a crate of salt, but a well known leaker ("122") claims Frieren 2 is already in production... amongst other things

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There is no reason for it not to be. It was super popular. Also the manga is barely progressing/releasing which is a good indicator that the mangaka is busy with the anime.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP