Cinema and Movie Thread: flickering images

Chairchucker

I don't entirely agree with every one of his points but I do agree with a lot of them. That we the consumers of this digital and convenience age have a large part in the way the film industry direction seems to be moving, whether one thinks it "sucks" or thinks it's better than ever.  But I'm not going to return to seeing films in the theaters.  I don't even see splashy cinematic blockbusters in theaters now.  Sorry. :p  The film industry has had swings and changes more than once. New generations will like it or not, shift it or not, again with time, same as always.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Not too shabby for a fan film:

Wait, you're telling me this is an actual Hollywood movie? This isn't a fan trailer or a practical joke? Come on! No, this can't be a real movie. Seriously!? For real? You swear on your grandmother's grave? ... Woooooooooow.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9522zrgwnz93bgabivd98

Sony Pictures does it again! Hopefully we at least get a good meme out of it like Morbin' Time.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I confess, I don't get the hate the trailer is getting.  🤷‍♂️

But it already created a meme with the 'studying with the mom in the amazon' line.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

44 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I confess, I don't get the hate the trailer is getting.  🤷‍♂️

But it already created a meme with the 'studying with the mom in the amazon' line.

For me it's not hate I'm just astonished at how cheap it looks. Madame Web looks like it had a total budget, advertising included, of $8.67.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

For me it's not hate I'm just astonished at how cheap it looks. Madame Web looks like it had a total budget, advertising included, of $8.67.

It does look lower budgeted; most of the complaints I've seen online haven't been about the budget, though.  Given the spotty track-record on the Sony films, I can imagine they're keeping a tight control on the budget of this so I'm not surprised at its look.  Potential for an interesting horror/thriller take with the set-up, I think.

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Id never heard of Madame Web until the trailer and Wiki tells me shes a blind and paralyzed psychic. Sigh, I guess theyre running out of superheroes. 

Sony only has Spider-Man related characters, so they're limited in what they can do.  That's why they made a deal with Marvel regarding the Spider-Man proper movies to have integration with the MCU.  The Sony only films have been Spider-Man villains-turned-anti-hero (Venom, Morbius) so far.  This is the first one dealing with characters that are more-or-less tied to Spider-Man as heroes (an earlier film proposed Black Cat and Silver Sable, but never got off the ground).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Suspira (1977) Uncut version

Well hot damn, this movie is ****ing gorgeous in it's remastered version. The way the score is used makes me almost panic, the sound of the mix makes it feel very loud relative to the rest of the movie and it's very unsettling, which I mean only positively. I'd go so far as to say the movie is worth watching for the visuals and sound design alone.

In terms of da plot, ehhhh it's not the greatest. But the execution is often marvelous. There's one sequence in particular, the third killing, that is absolutely a ****ing masterclass that beats out most other slashers or thrillers. This is a goddamn classic for good reason.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Suspira (1977) Uncut version

Well hot damn, this movie is ****ing gorgeous in it's remastered version. The way the score is used makes me almost panic, the sound of the mix makes it feel very loud relative to the rest of the movie and it's very unsettling, which I mean only positively. I'd go so far as to say the movie is worth watching for the visuals and sound design alone.

In terms of da plot, ehhhh it's not the greatest. But the execution is often marvelous. There's one sequence in particular, the third killing, that is absolutely a ****ing masterclass that beats out most other slashers or thrillers. This is a goddamn classic for good reason.

Pretty sure Suspiria is the film that convinced me that I was never going to watch an Italian film ever again, and also that I would never watch a film that Jay (of RLM) calls "dream-like". I haven't held true to the former, but I'm pretty sure I have to the latter.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

29 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Pretty sure Suspiria is the film that convinced me that I was never going to watch an Italian film ever again, and also that I would never watch a film that Jay (of RLM) calls "dream-like". I haven't held true to the former, but I'm pretty sure I have to the latter.

am kinda ambivalent 'bout italian filmmakers. bicycle thieves and umberto d is two vittorio de sica films which has both, at one time or another, graced our list o' top fifteen films all-time. am having a bias against films about film, but am gonna be honest and admit we teared up the first time we saw cinema paradiso. am not a huge fan o' fellini, but am able to see how his influenced many filmmakers we do like. etc.

on the other hand, korean film is a tough slog for us. we don't like b-horror but am admitting koreans has done such well. we finally saw parasite after all the hoopla died down-- meh. the premise required insurmountable suspension o' disbelief. in fact, is a few lauded korean films which require excessive voluntary density. example: viewing snowpiercer has us shedding neurons by the minute. is a bunch o' ok korean martial arts films which coverup flaws with more than a little "ultra-violence." just not a fan thus far.

different strokes.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Call me vulgar, but I like Sergio Leone and I love "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" 😁

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, Gorth said:

Call me vulgar, but I like Sergio Leone and I love "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" 😁

am not a huge spaghetti western fan, but we like a few o' the sergio leone offerings... and we can't help but think the wild bunch is less likely to be made and released without a few early sergio leone movies being successful.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 11/25/2023 at 9:38 PM, Bartimaeus said:

Don't watch any Lucio Fulci films if you don't like dream logic applied to narrative.  And I say that liking most of the Fulci films I've seen so far.

• Thanks 1

Uh, is it just me or does it look very CGI'd this time? Kinda scares me of how the rest of the movie will be like, if the CGI quality is already like this in the trailer...

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

Uh, is it just me or does it look very CGI'd this time? Kinda scares me of how the rest of the movie will be like, if the CGI quality is already like this in the trailer...

Definitely not just you. Looks pretty bad...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

My understanding is Miller had to rely more on CGI due to filming during COVID than originally planned and like most films, the CGI in the trailer isn't finished.

2 hours ago, Amentep said:

My understanding is Miller had to rely more on CGI due to filming during COVID than originally planned and like most films, the CGI in the trailer isn't finished.

I really hope so and I'm not terribly disappointed, as long as we get the mad max 3 movie done right.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

5 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

they are making another one

did the last one even made a profit

GvK reportedly more than doubled the money it cost to make, so it made a profit.  Merchandising probably was also good and the makers have invested a lot in it (cf The Monarch tv show tie-in).

I was watching this video about Shining on YouTube and noticed this:

shininggirlsblue.thumb.jpg.0a694ee229639591740bfc38f6166747.jpg

Are those the two girls that appear on and off as ghostly figures?!....scary!

Anyways...gonna watch Rec right now.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Sling Blade (1996).

bicak-sirti-1996.%7Bformat%7D

Recommended to me by someone, I didn't read anything about it before starting: I heard Billy Bob Thornton do his ridiculous voice and I was like "oh gosh, I'm not going to be able to do this". Completely wrong, it was a wonderful little movie. Utterly predictable in broad strokes (I knew what the ending was going to be within like 15 minutes), but it's the kind of film where that's totally okay and in fact probably preferred over doing something unexpected and unfitting. It also helps when you have a child actor play a main character and do really great, especially for a film like this.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I watched Indy 5 (2023). It's a'ight, I guess. It would have greatly benefited from trimming the fat. It starts out well with a 20 minute sequence on a train featuring CGI young(er) Harrison Ford. While I couldn't help but notice the overuse of CGI in the sequence, it still felt like a legitimately fun old skool Indiana Jones action setpiece. Then there's nearly 2 hours of mediocrity. Nothing offensively bad but nothing really good either. It's just 2 hours of occasionally mildly entertaining but often kind of boring stuff. Then the last 15 minutes happen and what is happening is so utterly ludicrous that I kind of love it. I don't love it enough to make me want to sit through the 2 middle hours of meh again, but that ending sequence is great, in a fun schlock sort of way. Trim that middle 2 hours down to about an hour and now we're talking.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸