What You've Done Today - Keep Dreaming...

Raithe

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Good job slowing down the whole page 😛

still not as bad as the one time I tried to post a 400 MB one and dropbox and imgur both exploded trying to host it

the power to make high quality, correct FPS gifs in but a few seconds is one that requires great responsibility

which I do not and will not exercise whatsoever

42 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Got some Extracorporeal shockwave therapy on my shoulder today, and goddamn did it hurt, but pretty damn good now, almost no pain at the moment, so that's good.

I checked the weather for tonight, we've had a long spell with cold and some snow, and we're going to have a couple of hours with tiny amounts of rainfall and 0C, for the temperature to drop later tomorrow down to -6 or 7C. Luckily, I bought coffee yesterday though, so it's okay to be stuck here 😂

I need me some of that for my messed up neck and shoulders

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

26 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I need me some of that for my messed up neck and shoulders

If you can get hold of a good practicioner I'd recommend it, make sure to point out when they slip away from the area that you want to treat though, it takes very little for that to happen and they won't notice anything at all. The one they used on me had a 3 inch or so diameter disc that would block the view of the therapist, and they use quite alot of lube. I didn't the first time and didn't notice a tremendous difference after my first treatment, but I was quicker to point it out today and that has made a huge difference. :)

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

13 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

At any rate, that peripheral vision bifocal spot - do you find that annoying at all?

Yes!...No!...Im not sure yet!... :lol: The bifocal peripheral spot is noticeable (and I got the second widest range available) but I find that I really just need to retrain my eyeball muscle memory to look at the correct area and then its perfect. My previous glasses had thin (top to bottom) lenses so I used to just peek under them for close-in reading. My vanity made me select the no-line bifocals, but I think if you get the bifocal lenses that have the visible line across them then this isnt an issue?

Got a grandson scammer, but was disappointing in how he brought no energy to the role just said "Hi Grandpa. I'm in trouble" so flat and uninspired.  Worthless.

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

18 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Got some Extracorporeal shockwave therapy on my shoulder today

to show how far down the nerd hole we has fallen, the first thing which came to mind when we saw "extracorporeal shockwave therapy" were the following:

link

and based on your description o' the recovery from therapy, am thinking our imagined expectations did not have us too far removed from the reality.  

your "good practitioner"?

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

to show how far down the nerd hole we has fallen, the first thing which came to mind when we saw "extracorporeal shockwave therapy" were the following:

link

and based on your description o' the recovery from therapy, am thinking our imagined expectations did not have us too far removed from the reality.  

your "good practitioner"?

HA! Good Fun!

Quite accurate actually, it is a sonic effect, and she might very well look like that, she does keep wearing a mask 🤔

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Got a grandson scammer, but was disappointing in how he brought no energy to the role just said "Hi Grandpa. I'm in trouble" so flat and uninspired.  Worthless.

I got a nephew scammer once who said something similarly disappointing. I replied "Good" then hung up.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

9 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I find that I really just need to retrain my eyeball muscle memory to look at the correct area and then its perfect.

I suppose one day I'll get a bifocal pair (along with a non bifocal) and see if I can get used to it. I think it would bother me most while watching TV and looking downward. And any view distance that's in that grey area of sorta needing but not really, like monitor-use/text distance for me.
========================

I spent some of this morning sewing up a large hole in a robe pocket. I used to be good at threading tiny needles and tying thread knots but between vision and arthritis, not so much anymore. It took me a relatively long while to finish that small task. At least I can still stitch a good stitch even if it takes me longer. Thankfully I had pelleK to sing Barbie Girl for me the whole time. Was apt for my cheerful yet frustrated (you can be both at once) mood.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Linked In suggested a job to me.

Part of the description:

[Company] uses cloud-native technologies to improve software products for dozens of customers, and we are looking for veteran competitive programmers to help us. We have reinvented the software development process to break down product specs and milestones into individual code challenges with 4-8 hour SLAs, and your job is to crack the problem and beat the clock. It's no different from a coding competition - except for the [big figure] salary and the chance to double your compensation as you move up the Engineering ladder.

Sure. Let me apply. I'm sure there's nothing fishy and long term unhealthy about 'competitive' coding and four hour deadlines for your assignments every day. Sounds like perma-crunch.

• Haha 4
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

14 minutes ago, majestic said:

Part of the description:

Sure. Let me apply. I'm sure there's nothing fishy and long term unhealthy about 'competitive' coding and four hour deadlines for your assignments every day. Sounds like perma-crunch.

We all know that Twitter is hell, Facebook is for boomers, Instagram is vapid, and Tiktok is mind-ravaging, but for my money the most unhinged social media is LinkedIn. I saw someone brag on there about cooking a chicken in a coffee maker to pocket the meal allowance given to them.  So it only makes sense that the job offers themselves would be like that.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Part of the description:

OMG that "description" was a painful read 😂

I get so many scam calls, my phone is configured to automatically redirect unknown numbers to my voice mail. If I get two calls from the same number with no message, the number gets permanently blocked. Most common scams in my voice mail is the tax man threatening me with jail time and some Chinese pre-recorded message which i have no idea what is trying to tell me. Could be spam, could be coercion of some kind.

Lots of spam sms too from forged sender ID's. Often pretending to be delivery companies or Australia Post that can't verify my details 😝

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Power's been on and off all night, big blizzard for two days now. Was outside for like 40 minutes at about 4:30 AM when suddenly the power kicked back on, and wow, it's hard to really get a feel for light pollution until something like that happens. The transition from being outside for that long with only having that weird kind of snowfall light diffusion (where there's no apparent source of light yet everything has this kind of unnatural glow to it, almost like you'd see in video games in "dark" areas that aren't actually nearly as dark as they should be) to all the lights in your area suddenly roaring back on all at once makes it feel like you went from early morning straight to mid-day. Light pollution's no joke...and I barely live by anyone! :p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

15 hours ago, majestic said:

Part of the description:

So they invented something worse than Agile.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Power's been on and off all night, big blizzard for two days now. Was outside for like 40 minutes at about 4:30 AM when suddenly the power kicked back on, and wow, it's hard to really get a feel for light pollution until something like that happens. The transition from being outside for that long with only having that weird kind of snowfall light diffusion (where there's no apparent source of light yet everything has this kind of unnatural glow to it, almost like you'd see in video games in "dark" areas that aren't actually nearly as dark as they should be) to all the lights in your area suddenly roaring back on all at once makes it feel like you went from early morning straight to mid-day. Light pollution's no joke...and I barely live by anyone! :p

It's 48 F / 9 C here, which is noticably colder than normal. Looks like it's going to hit freezing in about a week to boot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

I guess we dodged that bullet, just raining here.

It's the worst kind of snow, too: that ultra wet, heavy crap that not only turns everything slick and slippery as it melts and freezes repeatedly, but also is a royal pain in the butt to move. No school yesterday or today as a result.

1 hour ago, Make a contract with KP said:

It's 48 F / 9 C here, which is noticably colder than normal. Looks like it's going to hit freezing in about a week to boot.

Fortunately, Texas has had an excellent track record of handling freezing weather in recent history...

• Like 1

My old workplace finally got around to taking the SSD out of my work laptop and is giving it to me next week. Good enough Christmas gift, I guess, a beat up T460p.  Has a 940MX though, so that's something. 

3 hours ago, Make a contract with KP said:

We've had a decent period of freezing and some snow here now, and we've got some decent groundfreeze going on everywhere. After the weekend we're getting a day of just above freezing and then torrents of rain. That's going to be interesting, especially since we might get some freezing right after 👌

New best 25 yard grouping:

hGHSV99.jpeg

A sub-7" 15 shot grouping at 25 yards is pretty good for firing a pistol with no stock, brace, or anything else to help steady aim. This is the level of accuracy that has been my goal to achieve, it's good practical accuracy for a pistol. Now, the goal is to get to the point where I get groupings like this consistently.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The National Weather Service has been blowing up my phone with warnings about snow squalls several times today, alert sounds and all...and today's been the less severe of the three days. Where've you been at the last two days, NWS?

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

The water heater went out in my condo 2 months ago and yesterday the HVAC system died. Really regretting not selling this place back during Summer.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47fwrixataycp7s9eilp

it's disappointing how those kinda costs tend to come in painful groupings. our intent were to sell one our remaining properties in early may, but our tenant refused to leave and by late august it no longer made sense to sell. we became resolved to the probability that it is now a minimum 2-3 years before is again a right time to sell. so all those major items we has been holding off on replacing/repairing 'cause we were planning on the 2022 sale is almost certain gonna need being addressed before we do sell. why paint the house or replace hvac if you are selling, eh?

we did dodge a bullet with ducts. had multiple contractors tell us +$5000 would be our cost to address a major duct issue... and then when we had our reliable guy finally take a look, he patched one section o' ductwork and our total cost were less than $100... though we gave the tech $100 'cause he effective saved us thousands.

one o' our two remaining tenants is a licensed plumber who also does hvac, so that is nice as he is doing upgrades at-cost. the other tenants is a couple o' kids who had credit issues, but we wanted to give 'em a chance to repair their finances, but we discovered after they moved in that they is lacking any kinda common-sense and they believe the best way to deal with problems is avoidance.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I went over my daughter's PSAT scores with her today. She has pretty serious dyslexia, and they didn't really do any accommodations for the PSAT, so she ended up with a 730 (out of 1600). It can be tough to be both supportive and honest in moments like that. She asked if that was a good score, and I said it is definitely a score. I told her she is probably going to need to get it up to 900 to get into San Francisco State. She asked what she needed to do if she wants to get into Berkeley. I told her she is going to need to sue someone. I couldn't help myself. :p 

Thankfully they actually dropped the SAT requirements for State Schools, so she doesn't really need to worry about it. She just needs to keep her GPA up and keep doing all of the extracurricular stuff she tends to thrive in.

• Like 3

we got an understandable bias in favor o' Cal, but if we had a crumb snatcher who were thinking o' attending a nor cal school, and they couldn't manage stanford, we would likely do what we could to subtle encourage consideration o' uc santa cruz. 

might still be a bridge too far, but acceptance is not quite as challenging as is berkeley.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps am not poor, but am nevertheless shocked whenever we look at housing and tuition costs for US college students. UC is extreme cheap compared to similar quality alternatives, but is nevertheless distressing expensive and even back in the mid-late 80s we wouldn't have been able to pay as an out-o-state student w/o the benefit o' scholarships. two years o' jc could result in a major cost savings? after two years o' lower division nonsense, you are also far more likely to know what your major is gonna be.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1