Cinema and Movie Thread: I like to remember things my own way.

Chairchucker

Elephant Man has been on my watchlist so for so long, pretty much the only thing I haven't seen by David Lynch yet.

I really, really enjoyed Twin Peaks season 3. Far more than I believed I would. One of few films/tv-shows I really want to watch again.

11 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

if I ever enjoy a David Lynch film even a tiny bit, I will make sure that you're the first to know, KP

That's a tall order. What if you're watching The Straight Story with your nieces and you find a tinge it enjoyment? Are you going to rush out if the room, log on to forums.obsidian.net and dm me before they catch on? What if your nieces deduce you enjoyed the film before I check the forums? What if the NSA reads the message before I do? What if time doesn't really exist so first is meaningless?

A lot of potential hurdles are there.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 minute ago, Fire Walk with KP said:

That's a tall order. What if you're watching The Straight Story with your nieces and you find a tinge it enjoyment? Are you going to rush out if the room, log on to forums.obsidian.net and dm me before they catch on?

Yes.

1 minute ago, Fire Walk with KP said:

What if your nieces deduce you enjoyed the film before I check the forums? What if the NSA reads the message before I do? What if time doesn't really exist so first is meaningless?

A lot of potential hurdles are there.

I'll just have to always watch David Lynch films by myself - ignore that I didn't for the two I've already seen, :p. If I were to try another, it'd probably be The Elephant Man or Mulholland Drive.

• Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yes.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'll just have to always watch David Lynch films by myself - ignore that I didn't for the two I've already seen, :p. If I were to try another, it'd probably be The Elephant Man or Mulholland Drive.

There's still the issue of the NSA and whether time exists or is actually linear though.

If I had to recommend a Lynch film to you I would recommend either The Elephant Man or The Straight Story, because both start with "The" and you have liked movies that start with "The" before. Both are also notably more straight forward than most of his work and feature characters you may have an easier time relating to or sympathizing with than his other films.

Wild at Heart is a very dark horse, I think it's an easier watch than Blue Velvet but.... very dark horse. There's a showing of it tonight at the Alamo I wanted to catch but I don't think I will be able to make it. You can chalk it up to being me wanting to see the movie. 

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

42 minutes ago, Fire Walk with KP said:

If I had to recommend a Lynch film to you I would recommend either The Elephant Man or The Straight Story, because both start with "The" and you have liked movies that start with "The" before.

Helluva recommendation, hard to disagree. Except that while there are 5 films in my top 50 that start with "The", there are actually exactly double that in my bottom 50 films. So I guess it's actually pretty risky...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

45 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Helluva recommendation, hard to disagree. Except that while there are 5 films in my top 50 that start with "The", there are actually exactly double that in my bottom 50 films. So I guess it's actually pretty risky...

Well a 10% chance you'll love it with a 20% chance you'll hate it are better odds than normal for you.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

10 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I've given up on trying to recommend movies to @Bartimaeus. It's crystal clear that the Venn diagram of our preferences has little, if any, overlap.

We share the same favorite Indiana Jones film.

#destroyedbyfactsandlogic

• Like 1

Night Visitor (1989)

This movie feels like a fever dream simulacrum of several 80's horror movies, something that seems a product of your memory amalgamating several films together. A satanic killer, that has a dayjob as a high school teacher, who exclusively murders prostitutes terrorizes a city/suburb with the help of his crazy and/or dumb brother. The only ones that can stop him are a high school couple and an alcoholic ex-cop. There's a single mom, an **** friend, the sexy neighbor, and many other tropes that have been in so many of these films.

Night Visitor fails to do anything interesting with them. It certainly didn't help that the killers, the terrifying satanic killer and his kRaZy brother, are out of shape middle aged men that never exude anything threatening and would probably hurt themselves chasing after someone. But even if they were threatening, the film would be forgettable at best. Strongly do not recommend.

Mulholland Drive (2001)

I decided to watch this again because the above movie pissed me off and because talking with @Bartimaeus made me want to see it. A very good decision.

It's a beautiful confusing mess, like walking through several dreams that somehow cohese just enough to see how they are connected. The sound and cinematography work in tamdem to reinforce this feeling, the low rumblings combine with handheld camera movement to make you feel just a bit uneasy even in ordinary scenes, like the voyeurism is more personal somehow. And hell no baby jesus god damn, Naomi Watts is incredible.

18 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I've given up on trying to recommend movies to @Bartimaeus. It's crystal clear that the Venn diagram of our preferences has little, if any, overlap.

The next Neil Breen film will be the great unifier.

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

We share the same favorite Indiana Jones film.

#destroyedbyfactsandlogic

I can't remember any of the Indiana Jones movies. I've seen them, but it's been so long my memory fails to recall any particulars beyond the iconic scenes.

• Gasp! 1

On 2/8/2023 at 4:11 PM, Bartimaeus said:

I guess he's the main character. Well, I guess that's just proof on how utterly unremarkable he is to me, :p.

I'm guessing you haven't seen it (and I'm not recommending it), but his Robin Hood is similar in the sense that all most people remember is Alan Rickman's Sheriff, or maybe Morgan Freeman. His lack of strong dramatic on-screen charisma or facial expression usually makes him rather invisible or not especially memorable. Don't get me wrong, he's from my theater era so I have fond memories here and there, but I think the best I'd call him is...reliable. You know what you're going to get.

I sometimes wonder if he's like Cruise, and should maybe be playing villains most of the time instead of the hero protagonist.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Gasp! 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

19 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I'm guessing you haven't seen it (and I'm not recommending it), but his Robin Hood is similar in the sense that all most people remember is Alan Rickman's Sheriff, or maybe Morgan Freeman. His lack of strong dramatic on-screen charisma or facial expression usually makes him rather invisible or not especially memorable. Don't get me wrong, he's from my theater era so I have fond memories here and there, but I think the best I'd call him is...reliable. You know what you're going to get.

I sometimes wonder if he's like Cruise, and should maybe be playing villains most of the time instead of the hero protagonist.

Very apropos, considering I just talked to someone else about Top Gun: Maverick today and how I think the only thing I can ever see Tom Cruise is as a murdering psychopath thanks to his role in Collateral. Whenever he plays the "hero", I always can't help but think how much better the movie would be if someone just randomly blew his (character's) brains out during the first act before we're introduced to the real main character.

I'm pretty sure I have actually seen that Robin Hood, because like you just mentioned, I remember Alan Rickman being...well, you know, Alan Rickman for it, but I literally...Kevin Costner was in it? Are you sure? ...

aouvfa.jpg

Oh my gosh, he's literally Robin Hood. See, this is what I'm talking about...

• Gasp! 1

Well now that you mention it.....I honestly can not recall a Kevin Costner performance. At least Tom Cruise has Eyes Wide Shut and Interview with the Vampire to his credit.

• Thanks 1

Costner is like some sort of vague beige presence in those films with him I saw, that are very few considering that in nineties he was everywhere. Just what kind of pull did he have over Hollywood studios, to be so beige and yet so in demand? Or was that a deliberate decision, to cast a blank space so that viewers would have easier time to project themselves or something? 

I recall Avatar having similar blank space dude for a lead, and Hollywood was trying to make him happen for a while but somehow he didn't. 

1 hour ago, bugarup said:

Just what kind of pull did he have over Hollywood studios, to be so beige and yet so in demand?

He had blue eyes.  :lol: 

He's just one of those where a single role caught the attention of people (Silveravdo) and then nearly everything after that, before Wyatt Earp and then Waterworld, was a critical and/or box office hit, or at least films that were talked about a ton (JFK comes to mind). He and his agent and whoever else in his team were just really good, for a while, at picking movies that would appeal to mass audiences.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

His german dubbed voice is very good, which is why he is very memorable to me. He is instantly recognized everywhere.

Probably also helps that I loved his old movies. Postman, Waterworld, Perfect World, etc. Was a huge star back then.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

tin cup and bull durham? is two we ain't seen mentioned and am admitting is both decent movies which were better 'cause o' costner. 

a perfect world is likely our favorite costner; is not as if we dislike costner as an actor. am not sure how he became a punchline 'cause is more than a couple decent costner films. hardly our favorite actor, but we don't avoid a movie when we see him included as part o' the cast.

costner also narrates a video for our favorite national park.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I personally found Bull Durham dull but it was very popular at the time. Not saying it's not a decent flick in its way, just wasn't my taste. Should also reemphasize that I don't dislike Costner. After the success of Dances w/Wolves he (and others) kept pushing him towards epic hero chr. status which doesn't fit him well.

In terms of media/public opinion I think he first became a punchline during Waterworld and Postman, there was lots of negative publicity for various reasons (justified or not, who knows, not me).  His later years I think he's kept to less showy roles and imo he's better off for it.

I forgot to mention Thirteen Days. One of my fave political thrillers, despite all the poetic license the film takes with history (especially Costner's chr). But again, it's more because of the other actors/script vs. Costner. He didn't feel like a lead in that film at all despite efforts to pump up his role.

Edited by LadyCrimson

3 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Field of Dreams and Bull Durham. I really miss GD, he would have gotten them both.

Hey now, I put Field of Dreams in my "fave KC lead-role films" list a page or so back. 😛

...occasionally I think about how most of my late-teens-20's faves are old enough now that some 20-somethings probably view them like I viewed 50's/60's movies growing up, if their parents didn't expose them to them. Supposed to be good/a "classic" but they haven't gotten around to it yet. Or have never heard of it at all. Time marches on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Field of Dreams and Bull Durham. I really miss GD, he would have gotten them both.

as noted, field of dreams had already been mentioned.

yeah, the maudlin label gets applied to any sentimental film a person didn't like, but you are gonna need defend costner's other baseball film from such accusations and you may find it to be no easy task.

our opinion 'bout field of dreams is even two measley scenes with burt lancaster is worth at least one viewing, but save yourself 100 minutes and instead listen to cat stevens.

(edit) and

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)