The TV and Streaming Thread: Summer Reruns

InsaneCommander

Watched Bullet Train today. Was surprisingly fun. It did get a little too crazy near the end, though. But the thing that shocked me the most was the face of Sandra Bullock. It's like they were slapping some weird alien mask over her. Don't know if this is CGI or a botched operation, but it looks like a car crash.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Just now, Hurlshort said:

Those all sound like valid criticisms of the show, but the review bombing and toxic social media outcry does seem to be based more on masculine knee jerking than stereotypes and tropes. *shrug*

you could be right. we active avoid media stories and reviews regarding shows and movies save from those limited sources we trust.

am recalling it were difficult to find opinions regarding captain marvel which weren't at least as much 'bout politics and social concerns as they were reflecting on the quality o' the movie. am not doubting such is happening with she hulk. too bad.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

14 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

Those all sound like valid criticisms of the show, but the review bombing and toxic social media outcry does seem to be based more on masculine knee jerking than stereotypes and tropes. *shrug*

There is a contingent of reactionaries in fandom(s) who make everything unbearable and comparing them pieces of **** would be an insult to ****. They can all burn in hell. I don't think we should ignore them, because they do overlap with the ongoing wave of stochastic terror being unleashed and are a danger to others.

But I don't don't see any of them here. Maybe ignore is just working for me and there is a guy posting 10 hour videos about how wokeness is killing whatever, in which case that guy can go **** himself. Really dodged a bullet there I guess, somehow this forum is less insane that much of the internet.

Anyways I'm rewatching Breaking Bad and Meth Damon has arrived. For some reason I really like seeing Jesse Plemons in stuff, I have no real idea why.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I saw a five minute clip of "Rings of Power". I want those 5 minutes of my life back so I can spend it on something more interesting 😖

(that had to be the most cringe worthy dialogue I've ever sat through)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

6 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am thinking you are serious over analyzing based on your personal knowledge as 'posed to the ordinary mcu fan. what % o' viewers knows all the jen walters comic stories... or cares?

Never said that the non comic fan would know or care or wouldn't have their own reason to like/dislike. Assumed that it was obvious that I was talking about existing comic fans. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

7 hours ago, Amentep said:

Never said that the non comic fan would know or care or wouldn't have their own reason to like/dislike. Assumed that it was obvious that I was talking about existing comic fans. 

if you say so, but while you distinguish iron man as a function o' time or desperation or somesuch, you seeming ignore thor: ragnarök's thor. thor fans got more demanding as time went on and needed their own personal best version o' characters with multiple iterations to be adhering to a specific interpretation? doesn't explain the broad approval o' taika waititi's initial thor effort, which represented nowhere near the first thor mcu offering.  if for every new exception you need a new explanation, then your generalization don't have much merit, yes? 

you are making more complicated what looks like general superhero fatigue which is no different than what happened with westerns or biblical epics or any other sub-genre. these kinda hero movies is always gonna be popular even if the trappings change, but eventual we see a saturation point. producers and directors face the quixotic as fans is simultaneous unforgiving when the formula is abandoned while at same time they is rejecting the newest iteration if is just same or too similar to the previous offerings.

is there some group o' hank pym fans who require an overt display o' domestic abuse for them to embrace the character, 'cause otherwise is fracture... or somesuch. doubt it. 

just as with westerns, creators o' superhero content is gonna be increasing frustrated as they are unable to predict what degree o' original is gonna satisfy fans w/o alienating 'em. same bat time. same bat channel.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 11/8/2022 at 4:20 AM, Gorth said:

I saw a five minute clip of "Rings of Power". I want those 5 minutes of my life back so I can spend it on something more interesting 😖

(that had to be the most cringe worthy dialogue I've ever sat through)

So far a small summary from a friend who actually watched it was "7 episodes of literally nothing happening followed by everything crammed in 1"

On 11/7/2022 at 4:45 PM, Lexx said:

Watched Bullet Train today. Was surprisingly fun. It did get a little too crazy near the end, though. But the thing that shocked me the most was the face of Sandra Bullock. It's like they were slapping some weird alien mask over her. Don't know if this is CGI or a botched operation, but it looks like a car crash.

Also watched Bullet Train. I found it entertaining enough, mostly for the humor aspects. I found the plot and storytelling a little lacking, but it's probably a style type thing.

re: Sandra - I think it's largely the different (well, to me) thicker eyebrow styling, hairstyle (covers more of her forehead) and that (again, to me) aging dark racoon eye make up. Just cosmetics that aren't really flattering to her.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

re: Sandra - I think it's largely the different (well, to me) thicker eyebrow styling, hairstyle (covers more of her forehead) and that (again, to me) aging dark racoon eye make up. Just cosmetics that aren't really flattering to her.

I was more looking at the mouth area which looks completely wrong.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Obi-Wan Kenobi - Whelp, that was a waste of time. Ewan McGregor is enjoyable, but he couldn't save this nothingburger. I don't know why I need to use spoilers, since nothing happened, but I will anyways.

Spoiler

I'm sure there is a way to build suspense and tension in a prequel where we already know the outcomes, but this series did not manage it. Did we really need to see two more fights between Old Man Ben and Darth Vader? I mean, the prequel trilogy had a pretty epic fight at the end that established Ewan as the greatest swordfighter to ever live, and then everyone remembers his death in episode 4, so why water it down with these two meaningless duels? 

Also, there is a frickin' star destroyer following a little cargo ship and blasting away at it. Then a tiny ship flies away with Obi-Wan. So Darth Vader orders the Star Destroyer to follow the tiny ship. That was dumb. But then, after letting the cargo ship go, Darth gets in his own little ship to face Obi-Wan alone. Like, why didn't you just follow him alone in the first place? OMG. How did these guys take over the galaxy? 

There was too much time spent on agonizingly slow emotional departures. There was some pilot that got killed on a suicidably dumb mission and everyone was all weepy. I had no idea who the guy was. There was no real buildup of his character, so why would I care?

I was critical of the Book of Boba Fett because of the plot, but at least I understood that they were leaning on Western tropes, and it was fun to watch even if it wasn't very smart. Obi-Wan was boring and bad.  I was really pushing to get through the finale. 

Anyways, I haven't decided when I'll give Andor a try. Hopefully it is better than this sad send off for Ewan McGregor. 

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

25 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

Obi-Wan Kenobi - Whelp, that was a waste of time. Ewan McGregor is enjoyable, but he couldn't save this nothingburger. I don't know why I need to use spoilers, since nothing happened, but I will anyways.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm sure there is a way to build suspense and tension in a prequel where we already know the outcomes, but this series did not manage it. Did we really need to see two more fights between Old Man Ben and Darth Vader? I mean, the prequel trilogy had a pretty epic fight at the end that established Ewan as the greatest swordfighter to ever live, and then everyone remembers his death in episode 4, so why water it down with these two meaningless duels? 

Also, there is a frickin' star destroyer following a little cargo ship and blasting away at it. Then a tiny ship flies away with Obi-Wan. So Darth Vader orders the Star Destroyer to follow the tiny ship. That was dumb. But then, after letting the cargo ship go, Darth gets in his own little ship to face Obi-Wan alone. Like, why didn't you just follow him alone in the first place? OMG. How did these guys take over the galaxy? 

There was too much time spent on agonizingly slow emotional departures. There was some pilot that got killed on a suicidably dumb mission and everyone was all weepy. I had no idea who the guy was. There was no real buildup of his character, so why would I care?

I was critical of the Book of Boba Fett because of the plot, but at least I understood that they were leaning on Western tropes, and it was fun to watch even if it wasn't very smart. Obi-Wan was boring and bad.  I was really pushing to get through the finale. 

Anyways, I haven't decided when I'll give Andor a try. Hopefully it is better than this sad send off for Ewan McGregor. 

I've heard good things about Andor, namely that if all the other Star Wars shows are adults playing with action figures, Andor feels more like a series with an idea behind it.

I haven't seen it and could be wrong, so take that as hearsay.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

3 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Reveal hidden contents

Okay, that convinced me to watch Obi-Wan Kenobi.

:p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Okay, that convinced me to watch Obi-Wan Kenobi.

:p

I couldn't help but think about how people reacted to Rings of Power here when watching Obi-Wan. :p

I mean, at least Rings of Power tried to keep some mystery and suspense around the characters. This Star Wars series didn't move the needle at all. 

I also considered the first three episodes of Book of Boba Fett to be great and much better than the stuff with the Mandalorian - basic pattern analysis says that means I should enjoy Obi-Wan Kenobi. :p

3 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

Rings of Power tried

The epitaph of a wasted billion dollars.

Edited by majestic

13 hours ago, Lexx said:

I was more looking at the mouth area which looks completely wrong.

Oh, that. In my inexpert and "I don't actually know her from Adam" opinion, at some point (a while ago) she had injected fillers in her upper lip and maybe her cheeks. Eventually that stuff starts shifting, and if you keep trying to re-do/correct it maybe it won't look so great eventually. Such seems pretty common these days (along with botox ofc) - thus they can claim they've never had any surgery, but ....

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Trying to make my way through k-drama Alchemy of Souls, a period fantasy/drama (magic, mages, soul-shifters). It's by the Hong sisters, who created one of my fave older k-dramas (2013 Master's Sun) and a couple other at least digestible ones. They tend to focus on some early comedy, romance, and then flip to a whole lot of tragedy.

Thought AoS was finished (with 20 episodes) but then realized there were still more upcoming when I scrolled down the list.  Apparently a 10 episode part 2/conclusion is planned/starts airing in Dec.  >.>   7 episodes in and the series is ... I'm not sure. It feels like a show I ought to like but it's not really fully capturing me yet. Visually grand at times, some of the usual tropes/cliches, fun mentor and villain chrs, etc. I think the bits that are supposed to be all emotional aren't striking a chord or are too familiar.

I miss those early-mid 2000's k-dramas I started with. They were cheesy, trope-y, melodramatic and all of that etc, but in a way they had more heart. They're starting to get too "polished" now. Oh well.  😄  

On 11/12/2022 at 5:13 PM, Hurlshort said:

Andor is totally different than Kenobi. I think it's different anything Disney has done with Star Wars so far. It mostly reminds me of old skool spy movies. 

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

If you're in the mood for a pretty/relaxing animal/nature short documentary series, (Island of the) Sea Wolves on Netflix is a nice one. It's not the science/informative type of nature doc, but good background or for showcasing great visuals, with enough awww and relatable "animal family" moments. 🥰

Started watching it, stopped after a while, because I remembered why I hate american-style documentaries. When I want to watch a documentary, I want facts and nice pictures. What american-style documentaries are doing is inventing weird human-esque stories for animals, and they can't stop doing fast cuts. Highly annoying.

Few years ago I've also tried to watch those other netflix docus, but same there.. they kept jumping locations back and forth every few seconds. It's like they are thinking I can't watch a scene for longer than 20 seconds before getting bored, so they have to bombard me with crap without a break.

I liked Rings of Power. :(

And I've been struggling to find anything else worth watching. Starting up Manifest just because someone at work recommended and it's not near as interesting as they made it sound.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Watch Card Captor Sakura on Netflix, thank me later. :p

Spoiler

I feel like if I would enjoy Rings of Power, I would not have any issues finding something worthwhile to watch. :shrugz:

• Haha 1