Music: Sharing and Listening - The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between

xzar_monty

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

14 hours ago, Gromnir said:

HA! Good Fun!

I don't know if this style of music has a proper "name", but it reminded me a bit of the older B-52's stuff 🤔

Some contemporary Nordic music based on 5-6th century stuff... best enjoyed with mead while polishing your bronze sword.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Some contemporary Nordic music based on 5-6th century stuff... best enjoyed with mead while polishing your bronze sword.

I wonder about the authenticity of the mead you get in Australia, but heck, what do I know.

Anyway, that was a nice song! I wonder what they're singing about.

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

I wonder about the authenticity of the mead you get in Australia, but heck, what do I know.

Me too. But then, I'm Danish (ex-pat). I don't think I've tried Australian mead 🤔

As for what they're singing about, no idea about the specific video, but in general they sing about stuff and events documented on rune stones from archeological dig sites in northern Europe (the Nordics as well as northern, modern day Germany, which wasn't always overrun by German immigrants). Their instruments are as far as it's viable based on stuff found by archeologists. They have a bit of trouble getting through customs at times with drums painted in human blood, rattles with human ashes as well as Maria's (the female lead singer) favourite instrument, which is a human femur.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

So how's the smørrebrød in Australia?

There was also a metal drummer who used to practice with human femurs; I read about this in Modern Drummer sometime in the 1990s. His rationale was that practicing with such heavy objects gave him good strength and consequently enabled him to play faster and louder on regular drum sticks. As a drummer myself, I can see that he has a point, but personally I'd just use heavier drum sticks (which I've done, on occasion).

We're a strange lot, us humans.

Edited by xzar_monty

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

So how's the smørrebrød in Australia?

There was also a metal drummer who used to practice with human femurs; I read about this in Modern Drummer sometime in the 1990s. His rationale was that practicing with such heavy objects gave him good strength and consequently enabled him to play faster and louder on regular drum sticks. As a drummer myself, I can see that he has a point, but personally I'd just use heavier drum sticks (which I've done, on occasion).

We're a strange lot, us humans.

It's just about impossible to get any decent, dark rhye bread at all down here. Good smørrebrød is non existent. The pickled herring is also some kind of German or Dutch import... haven't had smørrebrød the last 6-7 years, since my last visit to Denmark 😢

As for femurs... she doesn't use it as a drum stick per se, but as something she holds in her hand and taps with another stick. Sort of a light percussion/metronome kind of thing 🙂

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

It's just about impossible to get any decent, dark rhye bread at all down here.

Proper rye bread and salmiak licorice... Outside the Nordic countries you're often out of luck.

Yeah, I didn't think the femur was an instrument in that band, my femur anecdote was just something I remembered, speaking of femurs in the context of music.

9 hours ago, Gorth said:

I don't know if this style of music has a proper "name", but it reminded me a bit of the older B-52's stuff 🤔

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think Oingo Boingo "officially" gets coined into the broad New Wave classification (probably because it's hard to define them), but they went through quite a few musical sound changes over the years, from musical theater to punkish to more melodic. Although they were always ... eclectic? re: sound, instrument use, and style.

They were best seen live on stage, that type of band. Saw them twice, both smaller venues. Best experiences ever. Somewhere I still have the Farewell Live concert VHS tape (and music CD set). I was this close to going to one of those Farewell tour concerts but in the end they cancelled the San Fran one so... :(  It at least somewhat captured Danny Elfman and the band's energy. I like those song versions better than the studio ones, imperfections and all, at this point.  When the giant xylophones (whatever they're officially called) came out for Grey Matter, the crowd would go nuts. Ah, memories/nostalgia...

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Heh... "proto punk" 😎

Some old Australian pop music from around the time I was born. Must have made it internationally over the years, because I remember hearing the song on the radio as a child

Edit: As for the B-52's... what's not to love about them? ❤️

The sheer number of all-nighters pulled at university, listening to The B-52's and The Cult on an old tape recorder, brains addled by beer (because we couldn't afford food) and working on some truly innovative software projects while more or less parting ways with our brains in the process 😂

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gorth said:

an old tape recorder,

We used to have something like this, that we used to play music tapes in the car cause it was easier/cheaper than a car stereo, until it started eating tapes too often. >.>
boombox1.jpg

Eventually I had one of these things instead, except mine was black. I loved that thing. Until it also started eating tapes. :shifty:
154e4703446e75752e900320fc700ffc--boombo

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

10 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

We used to have something like this, that we used to play music tapes in the car cause it was easier/cheaper than a car stereo, until it started eating tapes too often. >.>
boombox1.jpg

Yeah, that was our Uni "Hi-Fi" equipment 😁

initially we used our grandparents record player for the couple albums we were gifted, but then in 1980 we got an early 60s 8-track player and THREE tapes, one o' which were a k-tel release: the rock album.

as for oingo boingo, they were frequent visitors o' santa barbara during the 80s and 90s. caught a few o' their county bowl shows.

AF030809_8930v2-211-1200-1200-100.jpg

possible our favorite outdoor venue.

danny elfman is now recognized as a film score composer linked frequent with tim burton, but is ez to forget what incredible vocal range and control he had as the front man for oingo boingo... f1-c6. not complete unfair to mention him along with freddie mercury. 

an "older" (edit: not that it matters, but "older" is the wrong word, or at least misleading. were one o' the last songs elfman wrote before oingo boingo were final disbanding and is more like their 1978 stuff than most o' their later releases) oingo boingo tune channeling early performance art influences. by this point elfman no longer had the range he did when a bit younger, but still impressive.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

As we all know, everything is better when turned into Eurodance. Everything. In the magical year of 1996, this Eurodance cover of Queen's Bicycle Race came out, finally proving that the 90ies surpassed every other decade in music history!

Well, and because I'm fairly certain some of you musical heathens here will not appreciate this greatness, let me post the best part as a screenshot of the video:

nlUv0wd.png

Yes, that's Blümchen cosplaying as Freddy. At least I think that's what this is supposed to be... :blink:

Heh, and you all thought Scooter was bad, huh? :p

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Not entirely certain what to make of this fasco-goth look but otherwise it's... something. Not a bad something though. In spite of the looks, it's not really heavy enough to be metal, so it's in this thread. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

A song for when you're young(ish) and full of important self-righteousness, after just having a fight with your spouse, steam still pouring out of your ears, and are driving around in your car on backroads at midnight.  :shifty:

@LadyCrimson: ...and if you're young enough to be juvenile and the fight ended badly, here's some even more self-important self-righteousness for you. I remember when I heard these lyrics for the first time... I found myself thinking that anyone with that attitude is probably going to have a happy life with lots of love and close friends, and so on. Or not. 😃

Edited by xzar_monty
  • Like 1