Music: Sharing and Listening - The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between

xzar_monty

2 hours ago, majestic said:

Anyway, but I have something better for you. What could possibly be better than Euro Dance Trash from the 90ies? Indeed, 90ies Euro Dance trash combined with German Schlager music. See this once in a lifetime collaboration of Schlager sensation Andrea Berg and your own favorite Swiss DJ, songwriter and coreographer, DJ Bobo!

Euro Dance Trash from the 90's was when I changed my mind and thought MAD was not such a terrible outcome 😖

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Euro Dance Trash from the 90's was when I changed my mind and thought MAD was not such a terrible outcome 😖

Yeah, you already made it clear that you are a tasteless heathen, no need to repeat it. ;) 

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

For a more serious post, I just love these DIF recordings:

Not a DIF recording, but something uniquely local:

Finland might have a reputation for having dour people, and Britain a reputation for black humor, but neither beats Viennese this sort of morbidity. :p

Here, have some good wholesome German music from a 90's band instead... (although the song itself may be more recent)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 8/5/2022 at 10:44 PM, Gorth said:

Scooter was there to remind people that the 80's were irrevocably dead, beyond any hope of resurrection

I thought it was proof of Satan's influence on Earth.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Like 5

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Thanks for that.

I'd seen the Red Hot Chili Peppers version but I liked this one so much more.

Yeah, I didn't even watch the Red Hot Chili Peppers version until after seeing this one. No surprise, I also prefer this one, :p. My mom loved SOAD as I was growing up, so I have some familiarity with their 90s/early 00s stuff as I heard it a lot, which certainly doesn't hurt.

(e): Apparently, SOAD only made music during the 90s and early 2000s, so I guess what I said covers pretty much their entire existence. Whoops.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

10 hours ago, majestic said:

Certainly a lot better than the actual 'vocalist' of System of a Down. :p

While I agree with this literally, the spirit of it I can't, since he's one of the very few mainstream-ish metal vocalists I can actually bear to listen to.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

While I agree with this literally, the spirit of it I can't, since he's one of the very few mainstream-ish metal vocalists I can actually bear to listen to.

:p

What sort of mainstream metal bands are we talking about? Late 90ies/early 2000s? Because they're all terrible. Except Evanescence, there only the band is terrible, assuming we count that as mainstream metal, which is a bit of a stretch already. :p

Edited by majestic

Unavailable Turd Ferguson video saying "that's your opinion"

I wish that there were a genre of metal fused with either dream pop or shoegaze - I need gentle or at least relatively measured vocal performances instead of all the yelling, screaming, growling and such prevalent in metal. The only metal I've ever consistently enjoyed is stuff modelled after video game music, which tends to be power metal-ish in instrumentation but minus all ludicrous fantasy nonsense and fascist undertones...and when it has vocalists, they don't play by the same rules that "proper" metal does, which I like. Well, if something like that exists as a genre, I don't know about it, :p.

52 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Well, if something like that exists as a genre, I don't know about it, :p.

Neither do I, but I don't think I know anything where you'd like the vocalist. While I can be positively snobby when it comes to the skill and quality of education vocalists need to display for me to like them, that usually makes them diametrically opposed to what you... don't hate. :p

edit:

This would give Bruce a heart attack if he could understand it. :p

Edited by majestic

30 minutes ago, majestic said:

Unavailable eurotrash video

0 for 2 so far, :p. Sure would be nice to know whether anyone can see the videos that you can before you start posting them on a forum for other people to watch (or not, as it were). I mean, I can still watch them since I obviously have ways around it, but most nobody else can without a bit of trouble...which is probably too much for people to bother with.

30 minutes ago, majestic said:

Neither do I, but I don't think I know anything where you'd like the vocalist. While I can be positively snobby when it comes to the skill and quality of education vocalists need to display for me to like them, that usually makes them diametrically opposed to what you... don't hate.

What, just because I usually like simple (i.e. borderline monotone) singers who stick to like two, maybe three notes for an entire song...and who also don't (or can't!) hold a note for longer than a second because long notes are the devil? Well, I never!

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Unfortunately available German trash video

Consider yourself lucky, Bart. I only tried a couple of seconds of each, and now I must to rinse my ears with something that Germans excel at, that is being aurally menacing. 👹

I understand you want more, that's fine, who wouldn't. This is from the official channel, so it should not be region locked. I hope. :p

14 minutes ago, bugarup said:

Germans

What Germans? :p

• Like 1

I remember old bands like Einsturzender Neubauten, Deutsche Oesterreichices Feingefuhl - Codo (I probably butchered the spelling) and Geier Sturzflug. Never mind Trio and their “Da da da” 😝

56 minutes ago, majestic said:

I understand you want more, that's fine, who wouldn't. This is from the official channel, so it should not be region locked. I hope. :p

What Germans? :p

That one wasn't really that bad, kinda punk even. (Or maybe may brain's rewired by all the exposure? 🙀)

Anyway, you know - Germans. Like these: 

11 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Deutsche Oesterreichices Feingefuhl - Codo (I probably butchered the spelling)

It's just shortened to DÖF anyway. :p

Fun fact, there's a Yiddish version (with some English lyrics):

The sister of Codo (well, the singer, at least) went on to found 2Raumwohnung:

15 minutes ago, bugarup said:

Anyway, you know - Germans

I know, our somethwat grumpy, not very funny northern neighbors. EAV isn't German, is all. :p

Brilliant music videos too, this one often gets falsely derided for being racist, just because it has a bunch of white guys in yellow face and mixes every East Asian culture under the sun. Linked it before, though in the anime thread.

Yeah well, I can see how that could be considered racist when not understanding the lyrics. Heh. Actually... without a certain appreciation for the language, the music is just average silly pop. Well, can't be helped. :)