Ukraine Conflict - "History never looks like history when you are living through it."

Mamoulian War

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

@Darkpriest

Can I tell you what my concern is with  all Zero Hedge article. I question where the journalism comes from and who writes the initial article

For example,  here is your original link

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/eu-just-implemented-risky-anti-russia-measure-could-trigger-ww3-few-are-taking-notice

And you see the same article gets repeated, and in some cases acknowledged, word for word on other right-wing, pro-Russian and similar websites like the ones below 

https://therussophile.org/did-europes-latest-little-noticed-anti-russia-move-just-push-the-world-closer-to-ww3.html/

https://tradeforprofit.net/2022/06/did-europes-latest-little-noticed-anti-russia-move-just-push-the-world-closer-to-ww3/

https://www.philstockworld.com/2022/06/19/did-europes-latest-little-noticed-antirussia-move-just-push-the-world-closer-to-ww3/

This reminds me  of the numerous fake news websites and propaganda websites the Russians are famous for and played a part in the interference in the 2016 US elections . And I did some quick research and all the Zerohedge articles seem to be same

Are they credible and are they examples of any real journalism?

Btw, i've checked that one link from all you had linked 

https://www.philstockworld.com/2022/06/19/did-europes-latest-little-noticed-antirussia-move-just-push-the-world-closer-to-ww3/

And it clearly says its sourced from ZH. I assume this type of a topic would spread and be linked to from anything even remotely pro-russian, as it clearly fits more of a Russian PoV. (although it is not completely untrue, that it gives Russians propaganda mandate to treat Baltics as hostile) 

PS. It's not uncommon to have topics spread fast like fire among media outlets. You can see that in all types of info, that a lot of outlets will simply repost the same story, without mucj checking, if it fits the narrative of the publishing board and their political friends. This is also why a lot of corp. media lost credibility over last 10 years. Not enough due diligence and non-sensationalist language. 

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

Btw, i've checked that one link from all you had linked 

And it clearly says its sourced from ZH. I assume this type of a topic would spread and be linked to from anything even remotely pro-russian, as it clearly fits more of a Russian PoV. (although it is not completely untrue, that it gives Russians propaganda mandate to treat Baltics as hostile) 

PS. It's not uncommon to have topics spread fast like fire among media outlets. You can see that in all types of info, that a lot of outlets will simply repost the same story, without mucj checking, if it fits the narrative of the publishing board and their political friends. This is also why a lot of corp. media lost credibility over last 10 years. Not enough due diligence and non-sensationalist language. 

Yes I mentioned that some of the links acknowledge its from ZH

Thats not my concern, its more about these  "credible " websites that are repeating both economic and political stories as if they are examples of real journalism and we should be concerned.

And I have no real issue with that, the websites must just be honest and admit  that dont have any real journalists working for them and the stories are just mouth pieces of what other   right-wing or pro-Russian websites  they want to highlight

They mustn't pretend to be independent 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Here's what Kreml spokesman Dmitry Peskov has to say about the Lithuania / Kaliningrad situation, according to Reuters: "The situation is more than serious," Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov told reporters. "This decision is really unprecedented. It's a violation of everything."

Let us pause for moment to reflect [sic] upon the fact that it is impossible to build a mirror large enough for Russia to see itself. "It's a violation of everything." Hear the indignation of the spokesperson whose country is in the process of raping babies, murdering civilians, destroying buildings, demolishing infrastructure, etc.

• Like 4

The Moscow Times is far from being pro-western, for reasons you describe. But as you say, it isn't pro Putin enough: for example, that article talks about a "military campaign" (even if it's misspelled), and that's enough to land you in trouble in Russia.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

@BruceVC

There is nothing funny about it. Ihave some estate in  Estonia, because 'reasons'. I'd hate to have it bombed or some Poland coastal stuff bombed as well... 

I need time to relocate capital investments to Spain/Portugal 😅

Hehe, perhaps you need to think farther than even Iberia and bring those investments all the way across the Atlantic. I promise you they will be safe here. :)

5 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

There are opinions that NATO is too weak to defend the Baltics. 

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/plus239329029/Soenke-Neitzel-Dann-halte-ich-es-fuer-realistisch-dass-Putin-einen-Punkt-macht.html

Event the so venerated article that urges NATO to reaction is not an immediate and auto-declaration of war and military action. Read it in detail. Some even say, that with the current fragmentation in NATO, the response would not be so swift and by the time real decisions would be made, it's possible Russians would be half way through Poland... (this i find exaggerated given Russian tactics in UA, but baltics would be lost for sure) 

These were assessments of NATO capabilities relative to Russia from before the Ukraine war. Current assessments are that both NATO and the US had continuing Cold War mentalities about Russian capabilities being akin to Soviet capabilities at the height of the Cold War, which is to say we severely overestimated Russian capabilities.

Ironically, many experts assess that even as we overestimated Russian capabilities, we are simultaneously underestimating Chinese capabilities (and that's going to seriously bite us on the ass very soon).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

Here's what Kreml spokesman Dmitry Peskov has to say about the Lithuania / Kaliningrad situation, according to Reuters: "The situation is more than serious," Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov told reporters. "This decision is really unprecedented. It's a violation of everything."

Let us pause for moment to reflect [sic] upon the fact that it is impossible to build a mirror large enough for Russia to see itself. "It's a violation of everything." Hear the indignation of the spokesperson whose country is in the process of raping babies, murdering civilians, destroying buildings, demolishing infrastructure, etc.

Wonder what their response would be, not sure they can damage Lithuania, definitely not military.  Also, hypocrisy is how it goes in geopolitics - the US and UK condemning Russia for a war of aggression by a permanent member, for example, is funny but not all that notable overall.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Darkpriest said:

As far as I'm concerned, way to go little Lithuania!! Way to show the supposedly big and strong countries (Germany, France, Italy) what it means to have even the tiniest bit of a backbone.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Hehe, perhaps you need to think farther than even Iberia and bring those investments all the way across the Atlantic. I promise you they will be safe here. :)

Nahhh NY is too expensive, Boston too cold, and Florida... Well... Too many disasters there 😂

If I'd be moving across the pond, it would be Vancouver. It's a better Seattle, but with less crime. West Coast US is an expensive disaster, and anything in between the coasts is not that fun, unless I want to own a gun and have some horse herd 😂

1 minute ago, Darkpriest said:

Nahhh NY is too expensive, Boston too cold, and Florida... Well... Too many disasters there 😂

If I'd be moving across the pond, it would be Vancouver. It's a better Seattle, but with less crime. West Coast US is an expensive disaster, and anything in between the coasts is not that fun, unless I want to own a gun and have some horse herd 😂

What about a couple of hundred acres of pristine beauty in Wyoming? Maybe even a horse ranch. :)

5 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

I dont blame you. Everything West of Colorado is going to dry up and die, anything South of Kentucky is full of rednecks, the East coast will experience 1000 YEAR HURRICANES every year and the Midwest will give you lead poisoning (get shot). I think Ill retire to Mexico. :yes:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Yes I agree, some articles would be truthful but what concerns me is the repetition of the same story

Its makes me think their is institution somewhere that says " lets create a story about the Baltic states being invaded" and then 10-12 websites repeat the same story and pretend its journalism

But you probably right, maybe they dont consider themselves mediums of journalism? But then  what are they?

Opinion pieces?

You just described how Game "journalism" works nowadays. Congratulations 😄

• Haha 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

10 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I dont blame you. Everything West of Colorado is going to dry up and die, anything South of Kentucky is full of rednecks, the East coast will experience 1000 YEAR HURRICANES every year and the Midwest will give you lead poisoning (get shot). I think Ill retire to Mexico. :yes:

There's always Hawaii.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

Well, have you expected anything less from Lithuania, after there was a law presented in Duma, that the declaration of their independence from Soviet Union is invalid?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I would rather recommend you to go little bit more south to Costa Rica or Panama. To much risk of lead poisoning in Mexico as well 😛

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Wonder what their response would be, not sure they can damage Lithuania, definitely not military.  Also, hypocrisy is how it goes in geopolitics - the US and UK condemning Russia for a war of aggression by a permanent member, for example, is funny but not all that notable overall.

Why is it funny that the US and UK are condemning Russia for the invasion of Ukraine?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

How it looks like in Oregon? I always liked those northern states of US. Otherwise Hawaii it is

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Ok some interesting news I have found today:

Russia already in recession.

"To summarise, the recession in April has already impacted two-thirds of the regions. At the same time, there are no grounds to believe that the lower point of decline has already been reached".

This one is still unconfirmed, please take it with a grain of salt. Although the Harpoon hit against their supply tug boat few days ago might have been the start of something bigger around Snake Island.

And the confirmed losses of Russian officers have already surpassed 750 bodies...

Also Kazakh president on St. Petersburgh economic forum has made a statement, that Kazakhstan will never recognize the DNR and LNR independence. Right after that, Putin already issued threats to all CSE countries, that they are either with them, or they will end up as Ukraine as well... Pretty strong words for a leader of an Army which is struggling in a small area in Luhansk so much that there are increased reports, that the Russian servicemen are attacking their officers :shrugz:

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Malcador said:

There's always Hawaii.

HA! Hawaii is exactly the place that's been on my mind lately for retirement as well. As someone who loves gardens, mountains, jungles, seafood, WW2 and naval history, and who is of Asian heritage and has family there, Hawaii is extremely attractive if I can swing the finances. :)

56 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Hawaii has the great weather and all, but who can afford to eat there! McDonald's menu - Honolulu HI 96815 - (877) 585-1085 (allmenus.com) Ima need UBI to kick in before I can retire there. :lol:

Hahaha, you are so silly! Those of us living out here in the northeast already know what it feels like to have our last drop of blood squeezed out of us! 😛

Those prices are pretty close to what they charge out here. Besides, I'll have that Massachusetts-level pension going for me (50% of my annual income). ;)

• Like 1

Looks like the bombardment of Snake Island is legit. According to pro-russian blogger rybar at 4am local time a people of Odessa region reported at least 35 ruptures at Snake Island.

Translation of his post:

" Today, at 4 o'clock in the morning, the Armed Forces of Ukraine began a fire defeat of the island: tactical aviation and artillery are working on the objects of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation. Ukrainian media reported that local residents of the Odessa region heard at least 35 ruptures from Zmeiny."