UK Queens Platinum Jubilee

BruceVC

https://platinumjubilee.gov.uk/

Its the British Queens 70th  celebration of being the UK monarch, what an incredible life she has led and  the Royal family makes a very important contribution  towards the legacy of the UK and tourism. She is the first UK queen to be in that position for 70 years 

Its on for 3 days and I would encourage those who enjoy pomp and pageantry to try to watch parts of it ....their are really interesting troop parades. The British are masters of this type of celebration

And for those who may think, "why would I care about a Colonial queens parade " I would just point out again that European Colonialism doesnt exist anymore and the majority of African counties are still part of the Commonwealth, where the Queen is the symbolic head, so its a celebration for all including former colonies 

My stepmom, sister and her fiancée are in London at the moment so they fortunate enough to be watching it live 🇬🇧

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah, even though I am anti-monarchy and very strongly republican (note small 'r'), I have a lot of respect for Elizabeth II. She was only a teenager when she was crowned, upon the very sudden death of her father with whom she was traveling at that time. I'm good with all the accolades and well-wishes she is receiving.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

And for those who may think, "why would I care about a Colonial queens parade " I would just point out again that European Colonialism doesnt exist anymore and the majority of African counties are still part of the Commonwealth, where the Queen is the symbolic head, so its a celebration for all including former colonies 

That really doesn't answer the question.  Shame we didn't get a day off here for it though.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I recall us being able to get one of the Queen, had thought you had to apply for it or something but - https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/royal-portraits/order-download-portraits.html

The disappointment in her face is palpable

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

6 hours ago, Malcador said:

I recall us being able to get one of the Queen, had thought you had to apply for it or something but - https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/royal-portraits/order-download-portraits.html

The disappointment in her face is palpable

Canada… her big disappointment 😝

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

am quite disappointed in the lot of you. this is a crpg development board, a veritable fetid bog o' geekdom, a metaphorical boil on the arse o' humanity filled with nerd instead o' puss, and not one of you did the obvious and linked monty python? shame! boo!

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

We might as well add this here before the weekend is over...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

2 hours ago, rjshae said:

Is it true the S*x Pistols will be holding a concert in her honor? How noble of them.

I wonder, that would be ironic but I suppose that anti-Monarchy era is over?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I recommend Sky News for detailed coverage, I have been  following some of the interviews with dozens of fans who have come  from all over the world and many from ex-Colonial countries which is no surprise considering the reality of the real relationship between these countries and the UK

But their are fans from Japan, USA, South America, Canada, Africa, India and Australia and NZ to name a few

Its been  an incredible few days to celebrate the life of this iconic monarch 👑 

• Like 1

John Milton 

• 11 months later...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-65502234 

Another exciting and important development in the history of the UK, today is the Coronation of King Charles

I am going to watch highlights and several of my UK family are going to be watching live and they already on the streets. The British are the undisputed masters of pomp and pageantry so it should have some worthwhile moments for those that respect and enjoy these types of events  🇬🇧

John Milton