Picture of Your Games the 15th

HoonDing

Stray Gods demo

MKanOYp.jpg

So, it turns out that this is a musical, as in a good chunk of the story is done in song. I mean, it's in the title, or, rather, subtitle, but I didn't really pay attention to that, I downloaded the demo because the art style looked great.

OWrFROu.jpg

The singing was performed well enough and there's an audience for musicals, I'm just not a member of said audience. The art style is great, though. It's not fully animated, but rather a series of stills, sort of like a comic book, but not arranged into panels like in a comic book.

zVBm4Eh.jpg

It's got Greek Gods in it, so if you're into musicals and Greek mythology (with a modern twist, I guess) then this might be up your alley.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

This Bed We Made demo

tLwrHdm.jpg

This is a 3rd person mystery adventure game.

riqAukH.jpg

It seems to take place in Canada in the late 50s. You play as a hotel housekeeper. In this short demo you discover that one of the guests has been stalking and taking pictures of you snooping on guests. The demo is just going through this one room. I tried to both do my job as a housekeeper (tidy up the room, throw out the garbage, make the bed, etc.), and snoop, but make sure to not leave evidence of my snooping (e.g. I found a key to a briefcase. After snooping through the briefcase I made sure to close it and put the key back where I found it). The game told me that there will be consequences, good or bad, for picking up items, but the demo wasn't long enough for said consequences to happen.

TeeHKHA.jpg

Graphically, the game looks decent. Environment details, objects you can pick up and rotate all look great, decent particle effects. The character models, or should I say model, I only ever saw the housekeeper I played as, was overall decent. She looks a bit... wooden, like she's a very lifelike marionette, rather than an actual person, and the somewhat stiff movement animations kind of go along with that. What I'm trying to say is that the production value is definitely not AAA, but it's not bad either. Voice acting was decent.

I'll keep my eye on this, I like mysteries and adventure games. The idea of trying to snoop on guests while trying to not get caught snooping seems like a solid core mechanic, if that's where this game is going to go. 

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The Muller-Powell Principle demo

OZ9MTIO.jpg

Under no circumstance is this Half-Life

kLN5y9P.jpg

Seriously, I know it's also got a hyphenated word in the title, but get those thoughts of Half-Life out of your head. Yes, I'm talking to you.

rbtQIcg.jpg

What did I tell you? Just stop it!

Vzaa6VG.jpg

On a serious note, These devs definitely took inspiration from a couple of Valve games. In terms of look, feel, and tone, this wears its Half-Life inspiration on its sleeve. In terms of gameplay, there's definitely some Portal here. It's a first person horror puzzle game. That gun in the 3rd picture can absorb energy and then discharge that same type of energy as a beam. For example, if you find a heat source you can absorb the heat then discharge a heat beam. The gun and picking up and moving objects are used to solve puzzles to progress. There's no combat, at least in the demo, but there is a sort of spectre. He (said spectre resembles a man) appears in the intro cinematic and again at the end of the demo. If he touches you it's game over, reload checkpoint. You can't kill him, at least not with the tools available in the demo, but you can temporarily slow him down with a specific type of energy beam. So, basically, when senor spectre shows up you run and he serves as a ticking clock element forcing you to figure out how to get past obstacles quickly.

Anyway, I like puzzle games, this could be a good time. I guess it will depend on how creative they get with the puzzles in the full game.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Broken Roads demo

jKktAZQ.jpg

It seems to be Aussie Fallout with a pinch of Banner Saga. Come to think of it, Aussie Fallout would just be Mad Max, except I've not met anyone wearing bondage gear yet.

XBL15EP.jpg

No world map, it seems, you just go from place to place with (random?) encounters along the way.

ss47Umv.jpg

The art style is quite nice.

And that's the last of the demos I downloaded during NextFest. Phew, that was a lot of games.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Dread Delusion

NC8x6C4.jpg

It's got Sega Saturn-esque graphics and the models all kinda wobble, the textures are atrocious; by all rights I should hate the look of this game. But I don't.

XvEOhtp.jpg

I can see why people have been comparing this to Morrowind. I definitely got that same feeling that I did the first time I stepped onto the shore of Vvardenfell, everything just seems so weird and alien. I'm on some kind of floating island, the sky is purple, there are humongous mushrooms, flying ships, weird mechanical constructs. I love the vibe. The game is still in early access, so I'll mostly just mess around with it for now to get a feel for the systems. I haven't had a chance to try out spell casting yet. Once it fully releases I'll attempt a full playthrough.

I don't usually do early access, but it was on sale because of the Steam Summer Sale and this seems like it would be my jam, Sega Saturn/PS1 graphics notwithstanding.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

AEW Fight Forever

LSQT668.jpg

My Suzu Suzuki CAW that looks nothing like actual Suzu Suzuki. For reference, actual Suzu Suzuki:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTauhfE3UtLTq21Kziap8F

On the bright side, I was able to customize most of her moveset to reflect reality. Unfortunately the Tequila Shot (/points down to sig 👇) isn't in the game so she's back to using a german suplex as her finish.

2ipFqxX.jpg

Kenny Omega actually looks pretty good, maybe a bit young, it looks like 2015 Kenny Omega. Matt Jackson, on the other hand, looks derpy as ****.

rgZMsEB.jpg

Some top tier writing.

XNr6R9H.jpg

I'm already the champ, where do I go from here?

• Confused 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

pjuzHnI.jpg

I'm an equal opportunity ass kicker.

a1d8PTk.jpg

I beat up both women and men. It looks like Scorpio Sky tried to cop a feel while I was hitting him with a Death Valley Driver.

eWszIKu.jpg

John Silver is enough of a goofball that I can actually see him saying something that corny. He wants me to join his jobber stable. Yeah, no thanks.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Suzu Suzuki, all 5' 115 lbs of her, scoop slamming Paul Wight aka Big Show. This is completely believable.

jPQWTIC.jpg

Dumping him on the back of his head with a german suplex for good measure. Again, completely believable.

ftviE2V.jpg

And, as an added bonus, throwing Luchasaurus down with a uranage.

F6YTfaA.jpg

7sFXAky.jpg

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I finished the story mode and what a way to cap it off:

p1KmTLE.jpg

To put the cherry plum on top, I made Chris Jericho tap out to a stretch plum to win the world championship. Doesn't get much better than making one of the greatest of all time submit.

mTmPKxZ.jpg

The story was corny as ****, but it was really fun. I got to the point near the end where I had enough mastery with the controls that rather than just trying to win the match I was showing off, taunting the opponent, throwing in a couple extra flashy moves even when I had my opponent dead to rights just to pop the crowd. Gotta give the paying fans their money's worth. I'll definitely play through the story again. There are different things that can happen and I'm 95% sure the story begins differently if you are a male wrestler. Also there's an upcoming free DLC that's going to add the Stadium Stampede match, which will be glorious pandemonium.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Apparently, even the rabbits are aware you can find water in toilets. Anything works in an apocalypse, right.
7DtD-A21-00.jpg

...but sorry, Mr. Bunny, my hunger trumps your thirst.
7DtD-A21-01.jpg

It was a strange game day where I kept finding those bunnies in places you usually never see them in the game, like hardware stores, under shopping carts, inside cargo trailers on top of boxes, etc. 😄

• Confused 5
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Jagged Alliance 3

I decided to start with Dr. Q, Vicki, and Blood:

z7D3Rl3.jpg

A fairly expensive team to begin with, hopefully that doesn't bite me in the ass. I wanted high agility stats on everyone so that I could be stealthy.

APrkTwz.jpg

First impression is positive, definitely captures the JA vibe.

icMkjTM.jpg

I like Blood, I'm glad I hired him.

YLhTwGo.jpg

With the burn on her face, she's got secretly a villain written all over her, the only bigger giveaway would have been a pinky ring. That may seem too trope-y, but if there's one thing JA has always been, it's trope-y. I guess I'll find out eventually if she turns out to be a secret villain.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

2023-07-16-1548-1.png

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, HoonDing said:

The karaoke in Sleeping Dogs was fun. Been ten years, though.

EDIT: still a joke The Saboteur isn't on Steam.

Yep doesn't feel like it was that old, but got the urge to replay it and found out I had Definitive Edition. Not that huge a deal, at least RMB doesn't exit vehicles by default

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra