The New Cinema and Movie Thread

LadyCrimson

^I'm assuming the modern adaption of the novel?  As the '47 version is a pretty brisk 111 minutes (compared to the new ones 150(!) minutes)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

9 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I'm way too excited about a new Fletch movie

am recalling john hamm doing comedy on 30 rock so am kinda optimistic 'bout this.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Other than the two Fletch movies and Three Amigos!, I think Modern Problems is the Chevy Chase movie that I have the fondest memories of. Telekinetic powers, how cool!

Though for some reason I keep thinking he was in Real Men but that was Ritter and Belushi. I should probably give that a rewatch.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I seem to recall FOUL PLAY (1978) was pretty good, but its been awhile since I've watched it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Watched Samaritan on Amazon. It's a superhero movie. It was pretty alright. A touch of that crummy MCU humor but clearly a revisionist superhero. Didn't care for the child actor but I almost never like child acting.

Edited by the_dog_days

Ninja Prophecy of Death (2011) from Pennsylvanian schlock auteur Len Kabasinski. A secret sect of ninjas, a mob family, and a kidnapped girl.

Dear Lord, where do I start? This movie has some of the most egregious shaky cam I have ever seen. Somehow worse than the shaky cam is the absolutely abysmal sound mixing. For the most part, the music and sound effects levels remain relatively steady throughout, with a few exceptions. The voice levels, on the other hand, are all over the place. The voice level will sometimes change WILDLY multiple times in the span of 15 or 20 seconds. There are times that the voices are so quiet that you'd have to turn up the volume to such a degree to have any chance of hearing the dialogue that the sound effects would blow your eardrums out.

On the bright side, if you ever wanted to see butt naked ninjas doing katas, have I got the movie for you. "The Genius" Lanny Poffo fights a gang of ninjas. Also, I got a kick out of seeing Len wearing a variety of gaudy shirts. Lastly, there are some laughable digital effects, especially one explosion near the end that had me doing a spit take.

Do not watch this movie if you are brand new to the world of terrible movies or at a beginner level. I recommend only intermediate or higher level terrible movie connoisseurs should watch this. I really hope the sound mixing is better in Hellcats Revenge.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Three Thousand Years of Longing (2022)

Somehow, George Miller has followed up the excellent Mad Max: Fury Road with a romance film that feels....reserved for a spexial effects heavy film about a Genie Djinn. It's very good, Tilda Swinton is great in almost anything she does and Idris Elba nails the djinn. The special effects are have a surreal effect to them that really makes the fairy tale aspect of the film work beautifully.

I'm not sure how to say more without spoilers, but I highly recommend it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 8/27/2022 at 5:33 PM, Raithe said:

Needed more graphic deaths.  At least we should have seen the planned quartering of Ultra Magnus.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hellcats Revenge (2017) - A Len Kabasinski joint. When Trish, the leader of an all-female biker gang, gets murdered, Kat, the new leader, looks for answers and revenge.

From a technical standpoint, this movie is light years better than Ninja Prophecy of Death. The sound mixing is fine and there is nearly no shaky cam, tons of camera cuts, but at least no shaky cam. I'd go so far as to say that the cinematography was solid, including some downright nice shots. No pointless Dutch angles, good framing, and Len clearly had access to a dolly because there were some good and steady moving shots. It's amazing how much easier it is to follow a movie when you can see what is happening and hear the dialogue.

This movie is fairly light on the action for what I expected from a Len Kabasinski movie. There is plenty of killing but not much in the way of action scenes. I was especially surprised by how little hand to hand fighting there was, given Len's love of martial arts. That's probably for the best given how laughable the fist fights were, except when Len himself was involved (the man can throw hands and feet).

Speaking of Len, my favorite thing about the movie was him looking like he plays in a White Zombie cover band:

NwsHlHJ.jpeg

My second favorite thing was a scene of a guy getting his head blown off through a wall that was so awesome that I jumped up and pumped my fist in the air repeatedly.

Overall, this was a vastly superior movie to Ninja Prophecy of Death despite how much less martial arts action it had because it was so much easier to follow and more competent technically. It was still cheesy and had some hilariously bad acting, though there were a couple surprisingly decent performances. Len himself was shockingly competent, although his character was extremely one note.

This movie is a much easier recommendation than Ninja Prophecy of Death

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sigh, I was roped into watching Top Gun: Maverick (2022). Well, where to begin with this one? It was a complete...ly kind of okay-ish film.

Spoiler

Atrocious pro-U.S. propaganda nonsense aside (that aspect, as @KP From Another World previously mentioned, was quite appalling in its transparency and how far they took it), it was very mildly enjoyable in a "this is an incredibly stupid movie but I guess there's some humor and spectacle" kind of way. It's not going into my top 1,000 films or anything, but it was alright, I wasn't dying while watching it.

Sigh, I was roped into watching Top Gun (1986). Well, where to begin with this one? It was a complete...ly kind of okay-ish film.

Spoiler

Actually, it was a little less than okay-ish, and I only said the above to meme. The complete cornball 80s feel of the film permeating its entirety (plus some other things I really don't care for) really hurts me somewhere deep in my soul, and it's pretty difficult to bear at times. But it wasn't as bad as the complete pile of garbage known as Aliens, so there is that. Yes, I am going to besmirch Aliens practically every opportunity I have from now on, no matter how weak or tangential.

It could've been worse.

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

It's amazing how much easier it is to follow a movie when you can see what is happening and hear the dialogue.

I feel like you don't want to know what's going on in a bad movie though, so that should really work against the film if anything, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Confused 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

33 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Sigh, I was roped into watching Top Gun: Maverick (2022). Well, where to begin with this one? It was a complete...ly kind of okay-ish film.

Hide contents

Atrocious pro-U.S. propaganda nonsense aside (that aspect, as @KP From Another World previously mentioned, was quite appalling in its transparency and how far they took it), it was very mildly enjoyable in a "this is an incredibly stupid movie but I guess there's some humor and spectacle" kind of way. It's not going into my top 1,000 films or anything, but it was alright, I wasn't dying while watching it.

Sigh, I was roped into watching Top Gun (1986). Well, where to begin with this one? It was a complete...ly kind of okay-ish film.

Hide contents

Actually, it was a little less than okay-ish, and I only said the above to meme. The complete cornball 80s feel of the film permeating its entirety (plus some other things I really don't care for) really hurts me somewhere deep in my soul, and it's pretty difficult to bear at times. But it wasn't as bad as the complete pile of garbage known as Aliens, so there is that. Yes, I am going to besmirch Aliens practically every opportunity I have from now on, no matter how weak or tangential.

It could've been worse.

I feel like you don't want to know what's going on in a bad movie though, so that should really work against the film if anything, :p.

I'm not a fan of Aliens but Top Gun: Maverick was worse.

They couldn't name the "bad guys" in Maverick because if they did the movie would be depicting the US committing a war crime.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

48 minutes ago, KP From Another World said:

They couldn't name the "bad guys" in Maverick

Yeah, I did have a laugh at that. I totally agree with you on that aspect being...terrible: it's very transparently pro-U.S./military propaganda. But no, Maverick more or less follows directly in its predecessor's footsteps just about down to a T, while Aliens stands on the shoulders of a giant...and proceeds to have a diarrhea disaster all over the poor thing's head. Non-analogous situations, different impressions as a result.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

58 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, I did have a laugh at that. I totally agree with you on that aspect being...terrible: it's very transparently pro-U.S./military propaganda. But no, Maverick more or less follows directly in its predecessor's footsteps just about down to a T, while Aliens stands on the shoulders of a giant...and proceeds to have a diarrhea disaster all over the poor thing's head. Non-analogous situations, different impressions as a result.

I can understand where you're coming from and agree that Aliens is a big fall from Alien (I have not seen Top Gun and do not intend to), but still I think on the merits of the films themselves Aliens is better than Maverick. Perhaps this is just my weird self, but I usually try to judge films in a vacuum.

The more I think about Maverick the more its popularity puzzles me. I can see the appeal of less overt CGI effects (despite some claims of being all practical, there are over a thousand CGI assisted shots in Maverick), but so many films have done that and have been more solid in all other areas. Maverick is like a hollow candy, when you crack open the spectacle of REEEEEL PLAAAAANES it's just hot air about a 60 year old man's long midlife crisis. Just this year we've seen Everything Everywhere All At Once and Three Thousand Years of Longing drop kick the absolute **** out of Maverick, and hell ELVIS was a better time than Maverick, so why the hell is the scientologists war crime adventure so damn enduring? Really grinds my gears. Seriously 

Anyways.............Three Thousand Years of Longing is in the same tier for me as Everything Everywhere All At Once and I recommend it to anyone. I want to see it again because it really does give you a lot to think about and works better after a night's sleep. Between that and Bram Stoker's Dracula I guess it means I like bittersweet supernatural romances.

• Like 1