Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous, Part 4

Vaeliorin

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1184370/view/3400797688635109882

august 11 is new dlc release.

september 29 is console and enhanced edition release date.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...

So when I am finally gonna play the game they announce an Enhanced Edition. Should I wait to start it after that is released? For now I decided to play the Through the Ashes DLC. I already know the two spoilers for the main story so I'm ok with that.

I can't decide if I'll go as a Court Poet or Cleric in the main campaign, but for the DLC I chose Martyr.

Spoiler

Damn the swarms! I found only one torch so far, but at least there is plenty of healing potion/scrolls.

sign.jpg

On 7/26/2022 at 3:15 PM, InsaneCommander said:

So when I am finally gonna play the game they announce an Enhanced Edition. Should I wait to start it after that is released? For now I decided to play the Through the Ashes DLC. I already know the two spoilers for the main story so I'm ok with that.

I can't decide if I'll go as a Court Poet or Cleric in the main campaign, but for the DLC I chose Martyr.

Reveal hidden contents

Damn the swarms! I found only one torch so far, but at least there is plenty of healing potion/scrolls.

When does the EE drop? If it's soon I'd wait if only because the upgrade to the EE has a not-insignificant chance to break your game mid way. I haven't played in months but it was relatively stable with TT and some other mods back then, though performance would just crater in the mid to late game.

I can't remember how Court Poet worked in WotR, but I think it is different from the PnP version. Clerics are solid even without the silly Angel merge and with impossible domain are one of the best classes at stacking bonuses, which you will need to break through the stat blocks on higher difficulties (iirc, none of the default clerics have access to Nobility and Community domains, so you will have to take it to get those abilities).

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

5 hours ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

When does the EE drop? If it's soon I'd wait if only because the upgrade to the EE has a not-insignificant chance to break your game mid way. I haven't played in months but it was relatively stable with TT and some other mods back then, though performance would just crater in the mid to late game.

I can't remember how Court Poet worked in WotR, but I think it is different from the PnP version. Clerics are solid even without the silly Angel merge and with impossible domain are one of the best classes at stacking bonuses, which you will need to break through the stat blocks on higher difficulties (iirc, none of the default clerics have access to Nobility and Community domains, so you will have to take it to get those abilities).

I think it will be released in September.

Can I disable updates on GOG? By that I mean, will it work? I recall a case on Steam that it made no difference. Not sure what game it was now.

I have no idea of how Court Poet works in PnP. But anyway, I decided to go with cleric since then I'll have an extra tank.

Through the Ashes

I'm about to finish the second area. I'm playing on normal to get familiar with the system again. I'll replay it on a higher difficulty later.

Spoiler

The reinforcements were really useful. I went with the guy's suggestions instead of creating my own. Just bought an armor and a shield for the fighter. I expect this will be insanely helpful.

sign.jpg

19 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

I think it will be released in September.

Can I disable updates on GOG? By that I mean, will it work? I recall a case on Steam that it made no difference. Not sure what game it was now.

GOG Galaxy is not required to run the game. I think it does not force updates, unlike Steam, but I haven't tried to launch WotR via GOG Galaxy, just downloaded the game from the website and blocked it with the firewall.
Would suggest to keep the installation files just in case. Not sure from what point, but now gog.com offers only the latest versions of games to download, so switching between versions is possible only via the app.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Through Galaxy, yep, I'm still on the wayyyy old patch before the spellbook merge "fix". Not sure how's it with executables.

Speaking of Extended Bugfixion, I doubt I'll play it if nobody picks up Combat Relief mod, because its modder just quit. 'sfunny how I mod my other games to expand the experience, and Pathfinders just to not ragequit. :getlost:

Edited by bugarup
  • Thanks 2

Update 1.4.0d BETA

is more than a few significant changes. however, am not gonna help test this release-- will wait for the enhanced edition and the post release plague o' bugs which follows.

might take a quick peek at the dlc scheduled for august 11, but for now am anticipating no new wotr gameplay for us 'til september 29... or maybe a week or so post september 29 as past experience suggests the initial enhanced edition release will be rough. 

HA! Good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Through the Ashes

It got a lot easier once I properly equipped my characters, especially the tank. In the last map I eventually stopped using potions and scrolls. And I fought against everyone I could find. I did play on normal, though.

I would try it again with a different approach and on a harder difficulty, but I decided to start the main campaign. I'm gonna play as a metal oread cleric of Iomedae. I disabled GOG updates and I have the installer for the current version on backup, so the EE shouldn't be a problem.

Edit: I was trying to avoid resting, not sure what the consequences were. Also, I ended with a significant amount of money. I could probably have bought better items and plenty of healing potions. :facepalm:

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

1 minute ago, InsaneCommander said:

I'm gonna play as a metal oread cleric of Iomedae

I don't think Ms. NO FUN ALLOWED would approve of metal.

j6BSx7N_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

begs the question: will the enhanced edition release also be delayed? regardless o' answer, am likely gonna wait 'til a week or so post enhanced edition to try more wotr.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

Decided to play a little as a court poet. I feel like this character would be better for my first playthrough since she is chaotic and I wouldn't mind making any bad choices. My cleric, on the other hand, is a heroic crusader type and it might be better to play as him later, when I know how to get a happier ending. This probably doesn't make much sense...

Anyway, a court poet main character would be great if the companions could benefit as much as possible from the increased charisma and intelligence from Insightful Contemplation, so I decided to do some tests. I tried multiclassing Seelah with a level of Scaled Fist and also with Oracle, choosing Nature's Whispers. In both cases she gets an AC bonus for charisma... however, only if she is not wearing any armor. She can't carry a shield either. I'm sure I saw this build somewhere. Oh yes, here. Apparently you can even stack the bonuses from Monk and Oracle. But then you give her bracers of armor and a mythical feat. They are discussing it in the comments, but it doesn't seem better than her wearing an armor.

Maybe Lann can benefit from a level in Oracle, since he is not wearing an armor and will stay away from the frontline? But then he doesn't really need better AC that much?

I like the Court Poet for roleplay reasons, but it seems Insightful Contemplation is mostly for helping with the DC of the party's spells. I don't know much about the companions (I only googled information on the ones I saw in the very early game and the ones I remember seeing when they talked about romanceable characters), but I checked Ember and Sosiel and it seems Ember, at least, has charisma as her casting ability. I also know that there is a wizard companion. That is probably another one I could have for this party. I don't need anything extraordinary for Insightful Contemplation, so this is probably good enough for me.

Edit: Lann has good wisdom, not charisma, and he already has the ac bonus.

sign.jpg

The reason why many guides suggest alternative armor scaling is because the longer the game goes on, the higher the charisma bonuses you can stack are, but armors have a cap on being useful. Maybe not in the beginning, but double dipping the CHA to AC bonus will eventually pay off more than wearing any armor, espescially when you pick Archmage Armour as one of your mythic feats. Crafted Mage Armor potions are great (bought ones work too, of course), and drinking a potion proccs AA.

There just isn't any armor in the game that beats the combination. That's not to say that there aren't useful armors in the game, just not as defense mechanism. When characters wear armor, that's usually for some other gain, like the Hide Armor of Elemental Carnage. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

So I can do more tests later, when it becomes an advantage. Except maybe for my court poet, who already has 20 CHA. Although she already took a thug level for frightening, so I think I'll wait a few levels. Not sure how many enemies will be vulnerable to dazzling display in this game, but I'll take it anyway. Demoralize did work on the water elemental, at least.

sign.jpg

As mentioned before, for extra giggles load up on Polar Rays on your blaster of choice (or equip a spontaneous caster with the Ring of Boreal Might) and you can one-shot those paralyzed mobs. A not insignificant number of high-level mobs like Balors and Vavakias had gone down with this method in my playthrough.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Not sure if this is a bug, but I spent the night at the inn and

Spoiler

now there are demon bodies all over the room and no one wants to comment on that. There is also a decapitated head in the party stash. confused.png.32c5d2a072ecd70d1035086796733a11.png

Ember has moved to the kitchen, which is kind of suspicious. It doesn't help that I still can't decide whether she is a really nice person or if she is actually trolling everyone pretending to be that. Still, the more likely culprit seems to be Daeran, who got some strange ideas after talking with Lann. Maybe he couldn't find more mongrels and decided to sleep with demons?🤔

If Hulrun came to visit I'd probably lose half of the companions, since he already stated his intentions of finishing what he started with Ember (over my character's dead body!) and if he heard half of what Nenio told me, she wouldn't last any longer.

Unless this has some consequences later, I will have to assume my character just closed the door and pretended it was all just another bad dream.:shrugz:

Btw, they did a terrible job hiding Nenio's true race. You can easily see her attribute's modifiers when leveling her up, the keen senses ability (that lists only one possible option for her since she is neither an elf nor a dwarf for example) and they even mention that she is equiping "bite" or something like that. It sure looks like a Kitsune, at least if you have just created a Kitsune in character creation on the day before, like I did.

Edit:

Spoiler

I left the tavern but had to go back inside to drop the severed head in the chest. The bodies disappeared and the only person who moved is Ember.🤔

sign.jpg

This game seems to have excited enough people for long enough to make me curious about it… 🤔

I’ll have to check it out more when I get home again (currently travelling interstate)

Edit; what can I say? Missed the smell of kerosene and the queues at airport security 😝

• Like 5

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Gorth said:

This game seems to have excited enough people for long enough to make me curious about it… 🤔

I’ll have to check it out more when I get home again (currently travelling interstate)

Edit; what can I say? Missed the smell of kerosene and the queues at airport security 😝

highly unrecommended without previous knowledge of dnd 3.5

even lowest difficulty is painful

• Thanks 1

Managed to finish the game. Was quite fun, though you still have to be a good D&D optimizer to play even on normal difficulty. And I swear some enemies have bugged DCs on their abilities...

Played as a Trickster. Was quite fun, a bunch of fun stuff to do. Took the special Trickster ending.

I'll probably replay the game as some other path, at some point. Maybe Lich, or a goody two-shoes Angel.

• Like 1

So... I put Tyranny on hold for a bit (The Scarlett Chorus can wait a few weeks). Started up a game of Pathfinder. I didn't want one of the pre-created characters, so looked long and hard at the classes to select from. In the end, I figured simplicity might be good for a start. I can always go back and start a new game with a different character after all. Went for "Gorth the Barbarian" with a bit of stealth and other potentially useful thievery skills. Very much based on Conan the Barbarian as he's portrayed in the 80's movie (sans the great music). Nothing like sneaking up on your enemies and backstab them with your greatsword!!!

Did the intro town and getting towards what I think is the end of the first underground map (the tunnels). Met the tieflings, read all the basic game tutorials etc. Swearing and cursing at the Options screen because it completely ignores my choice of keys for rotating camera left and right (I wanted to swap Q and E, because the default reversing of the X axis is just too confusing to me). But, despite swapping the the keys in the keybinding options, Q is still right and E left 😠

Other than that, lots of fun so far (which is like less than 30 minutes in).

Edit: The movie version of Conan was sort of a Barbarian/Thief multiclass, but that might be an option in this game (I don't know yet)

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein